2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you with a Scangauge or Torque App on Android, can you please post your normal transmission temperatures? My first reading after a 20 mile drive this morning left me a little concerned, as I was seeing temps around 208 F. This is with an unloaded vehicle in 77 degree ambient temps in mostly 65mph highway driving. I always thought anything over 200 wasn't good, but maybe they have higher heat tolerances these days.

I'm just trying to establish a good baseline before a 900 mile round trip in about a month, where I'll have 4 people, camping gear, and a small enclosed trailer weighing 1500-2000 lbs (loaded weight). I'll be very interested in how that load affects the temps.

Thanks!

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have an Ultra Gauge and I don't even have transmission temp as an option on my list of gauges. Do you currently have a problem with the transmission?

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
For those of you with a Scangauge or Torque App on Android, can you please post your normal transmission temperatures? My first reading after a 20 mile drive this morning left me a little concerned, as I was seeing temps around 208 F. This is with an unloaded vehicle in 77 degree ambient temps in mostly 65mph highway driving. I always thought anything over 200 wasn't good, but maybe they have higher heat tolerances these days.

I'm just trying to establish a good baseline before a 900 mile round trip in about a month, where I'll have 4 people, camping gear, and a small enclosed trailer weighing 1500-2000 lbs (loaded weight). I'll be very interested in how that load affects the temps.

Thanks!
Mine runs right around 195 empty and not towing anything. Its been pretty steady.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'll be watching this thread to see what others are experiencing with the tow package and towing heavier loads.

By the way, can anyone tell me if the FE with factory tow package comes with a special tranny cooler?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an Ultra Gauge and I don't even have transmission temp as an option on my list of gauges. Do you currently have a problem with the transmission?

I'm using Torque Pro on Android. Transmission Temp didn't work using the default sensors, so I had to track down the PID and manually add it.

No issues with the transmission. I just want to establish what is normal for everyday driving so when I take my trip and am loaded down I can see how that load affects the temps. If they get too high, I'll know to back off. I'm just trying to determine what "normal" is for these vehicles.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've done some highway testing this past weekend to establish a relatively unloaded baseline and thought I'd share my results. Traveling at highway speed (65-75mph) the transmission temp fluctuated between 200-210. It took around 25 mins of driving from a cold start to achieve this operating temperature.

It seems like there is a valve that opens at around 210 to allow for additional cooling, because it would always start dropping to around 200 as soon as it hit 210. Coolant temp was usually right above 200. It seems like its trying to hold the 200-210 range for both coolant and trans temps. I'll assume this is normal.

Some notes about the conditions:
90+ degree ambient temps in Florida
2 people and approx. 125lbs of cargo
Climate control set on Auto (A/C was running)
Several trips averaging 1 hour in duration each at highway speed

I'll know in about 3 weeks how a cargo/trailering load changes things. I'll also be interested to see how lower ambient temps and not running the a/c changes things, but that'll be a couple months away for me!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
i couldnt find the actual PID equation to put into Torque, so I did some research.

Transmission temperature wasnt installed in Torque, had to add it as a custom PID.
got a lot of good data from this forum Torque PIDs...Take 2

for anyone who wants the PID

Transmission Temperature
"OBD2 Mode and PID" = 221E1C
"Long Name" = Trans Temp
"Short Name" = Trans T
"Minimum Value" = -40
"Maximum Value" = 260
"Scale Factor" = 1
"Unit Type" = deg
"Equation" = ((signed(A)*256)+B)*9/80+32

or for Celcius (signed(A)*256)+B)/16 and change your min/max values to fit the range you want.
Correct by mod (missed a leading Paren: ((signed(A)*256)+B)/16

·
Registered
65 Posts
I use the Scan Gauge II and my trans temp is always between 200-210 once warmed up. As others have stated if it goes above that , even briefly, it seems to come right back down. So not ideal which would be around 160-170, but 200 is OK IMO. I plan to drain and change every 10-15k, which is only about 1/2 capacity of 4 qts it appears, but pretty simple from what I have seen. BTW the stock coolant temp gauge is a joke. It shoots right to the same spot almost immediatley and never moves, despite the fact the actual temp can be anywhere from 130 to 210 degrees. Gotta love the Scan Gauge II for the real story.
On another note, I drove a 2014 Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton 2wd rental for about a month, with a digital transmission gauge , and it ROUTINELY RAN 230-270!!! Not towing or anything!!! Guessing that tranny is going to last about 50K.
To program the Scan Gauge trans temp refer to my prior posts on that subject.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks to all for the information in this thread.

The F150 in my signature has the max tow option which is rated to tow up to 11,000 pounds, if I'm crazy enough to try it. The running temp without towing runs about 190*F when fully warmed up. Fuel mileage does not do well with the EcoBoost engine on the F150 until the tranny temp gets over 165*F.

My suspicion is that the Escape is set to heat up to 210*F for two reasons, improved fuel mileage and to drive accumulated water vapor out of the transmission system.

LazyOne that believes trannies need fluid changes more often than Ford recommends.

Reactions: HayaiKuruma

·
Registered
169 Posts
Mine is 190-210 as well with the Torque app

·
Registered
38 Posts
i couldnt find the actual PID equation to put into Torque, so I did some research.

Transmission temperature wasnt installed in Torque, had to add it as a custom PID.
got a lot of good data from this forum Torque PIDs...Take 2

for anyone who wants the PID

Transmission Temperature
"OBD2 Mode and PID" = 221E1C
"Long Name" = Trans Temp
"Short Name" = Trans T
"Minimum Value" = -40
"Maximum Value" = 260
"Scale Factor" = 1
"Unit Type" = deg
"Equation" = ((signed(A)*256)+B)*9/80+32

or for Celcius (signed(A)*256)+B)/16
Correct by mod (missed a leading Paren: ((signed(A)*256)+B)/16
and change your min/max values to fit the range you want.
Where'd you get that equation from? The forum you linked shows "Equation" = (((signed(A)*256)+B)*(9/8)+320)/10. I put it in torque yesterday, but have only done a couple mile trips. When the car was cold after sitting at work the trans temp read right around the coolant and ambient temp.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Where'd you get that equation from? The forum you linked shows "Equation" = (((signed(A)*256)+B)*(9/8)+320)/10. I put it in torque yesterday, but have only done a couple mile trips. When the car was cold after sitting at work the trans temp read right around the coolant and ambient temp.
its the same value. i don't know why those guys on that forum can't do algebra.

the next equation i want is to monitor the torque converter slip, to see when it locks or unlocks. the equation i have (from that forum or maybe the preloaded Ford custom PID) isn't returning a value, so i still need to research and try.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
its the same value. i don't know why those guys on that forum can't do algebra.

the next equation i want is to monitor the torque converter slip, to see when it locks or unlocks. the equation i have (from that forum or maybe the preloaded Ford custom PID) isn't returning a value, so i still need to research and try.

I'd like to see an oil temp equation as well. I gave up trying a long time ago. Let us know if you have one!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I'd like to see an oil temp equation as well. I gave up trying a long time ago. Let us know if you have one!
" Many people have asked for certain gauges such as oil pressure, oil temperature, and exhaust gas temperature. They aren't available via any scan tool for one simple reason. The physical sensors don't exist on the SHO. If the ECU doesn't have a sensor to read there definitely won't be a PID to grab for it"

so, do those sensors physically exist on the 2.0 or 1.6 EB motors?

maybe answered part of my question, here is a oil pressure sending sensor on the 2.0EB
PRESSURE SWITCH - 2014 FORD ESCAPE (BE8Z9278A) might be able to pull data, but it also might only be able to signal "high" or "low"

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
" Many people have asked for certain gauges such as oil pressure, oil temperature, and exhaust gas temperature. They aren't available via any scan tool for one simple reason. The physical sensors don't exist on the SHO. If the ECU doesn't have a sensor to read there definitely won't be a PID to grab for it"

so, do those sensors physically exist on the 2.0 or 1.6 EB motors?

maybe answered part of my question, here is a oil pressure sending sensor on the 2.0EB
PRESSURE SWITCH - 2014 FORD ESCAPE (BE8Z9278A) might be able to pull data, but it also might only be able to signal "high" or "low"

Oil temp and pressure sensors should be on the 2.0. The Focus ST has factory gauges for these, so unless Ford removed them from the Escape spec engine, I think its just a matter of finding the right equation.

http://image.motortrend.com/f/roadt...83018/2013-Ford-Focus-ST-auxillary-gauges.jpg

·
Registered
137 Posts

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Wanted to bump this thread. Trying to get transmission temp to work on my '14 2.0L Escape, and the values I'm getting don't make sense.

Values started off close to ambient, but as the car warmed up they skyrocketed. Since my transmission wasn't a molten pile of slag on the pavement, I'm confident it didn't hit 1,273 degrees inside of a 15-minute drive.

ON edit: Dammit...forum won't let me post the screenshot because I'm new here. Here's character for character what I have typed in:

OBD2 Mode and PID: 221e1c
Long Name - [ESCAPE]Transmission Temp
Short Name - Trans T
Minimum value "-40"
Maximum value - 260.0
Scale factor - x1
Unit dype - deg
Equation - ((signed)A)*256)+B*9/8+32
--Corrected by mod to: ((signed(A)*256)+B)*9/80+32

Rest of the spaces are blank for OBD header, start, and stop command.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
You missed a few critically placed parentheses: ((signed(A)*256)+B)*9/80+32

1 - 20 of 55 Posts