2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is the biggest Camper trailer people here have pulled with their escape . Mine is 2.0 L turbo S E L and apparently rated for 3600 pounds. I have a R-Pod trailer that weighs 2400 pounds empty so about 25 to 27 hundred pounds with what I have in it. I never haul water in the tank and fill up when I arrive at my destination ..

·
Registered
2020 Escape Titanium Hybrid
37 Posts
What is the biggest Camper trailer people here have pulled with their escape . Mine is 2.0 L turbo S E L and apparently rated for 3600 pounds. I have a R-Pod trailer that weighs 22400 pounds empty so about 25 to 27 hundred pounds with what I have in it. I never haul water in the tank and fill up when I arrive at my destination ..
Not sure if you added an extra 0 or an extra 2 on your weight there, if not, I think you're gonna need something much bigger than an Escape to pull it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure if you added an extra 0 or an extra 2 on your weight there, if not, I think you're gonna need something much bigger than an Escape to pull it.
Thanks for catching my typo on the trailer weight . I have now corrected it .
Hopefully I will get some more responses on this topic because I have a few more questions I will be asking about it .

·
Registered
10 Posts
What is the biggest Camper trailer people here have pulled with their escape . Mine is 2.0 L turbo S E L and apparently rated for 3600 pounds. I have a R-Pod trailer that weighs 2400 pounds empty so about 25 to 27 hundred pounds with what I have in it. I never haul water in the tank and fill up when I arrive at my destination ..
Also good to know with factory tow package or just aftermarket hitch?? And as mentioned, trailer brakes are very important factor as well.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
factory equipped tow package is 3500lbs.
aftermarket tow hitch technically only 2000lbs according to Ford, but many feel ok with 3500lbs. whether this is legal/moral/ethical/insurable is up to your risk tolerance.

also consider the frontal area of the trailer. the manual suggests less than 20 or 30sq feet. the taller and wider the trailer is, the more air you have to push.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
factory equipped tow package is 3500lbs.
aftermarket tow hitch technically only 2000lbs according to Ford, but many feel ok with 3500lbs. whether this is legal/moral/ethical/insurable is up to your risk tolerance.

also consider the frontal area of the trailer. the manual suggests less than 20 or 30sq feet. the taller and wider the trailer is, the more air you have to push.
It seems I accidentally started this thread on the 2013 forum whereas mine is a new 2020 2.0L S E L Turbo and it has the factory towing package .Unfortunately they only come with a 4 pin flat plug and no brake controller. My trailer requires a 7 pin hookup which includes brakes. Someone suggested there should be a short wired 7 pin adaptor to plug into a flat 4 pin one and then run a separate wire from a brake controller into the back of the 7 pin adaptor .I don't know if that is a good idea or even available other than having a 7 pin plug mounted in the same e place as the 4 pin one is now.
I have heard of people in the states pulling similar teardrop style trailers as mine without the trailer brakes hooked up but I am pretty sure in Canada where I am it is illegal to pull a trailer that has brake to not have them hooked up .
I would also like to know how much my trailer tongue weight of 245 pounds lowers the rear of the Escape. Does the towing package mean it has stronger springs to compensate for that ?
BTW , the manual on my 2020 states 3600 pounds rather than 3500 as has been suggested. Would that be because of the difference in models previous to 2020 ?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
It seems I accidentally started this thread on the 2013 forum whereas mine is a new 2020 2.0L S E L Turbo and it has the factory towing package .Unfortunately they only come with a 4 pin flat plug and no brake controller. My trailer requires a 7 pin hookup which includes brakes. Someone suggested there should be a short wired 7 pin adaptor to plug into a flat 4 pin one and then run a separate wire from a brake controller into the back of the 7 pin adaptor .I don't know if that is a good idea or even available other than having a 7 pin plug mounted in the same e place as the 4 pin one is now.
I have heard of people in the states pulling similar teardrop style trailers as mine without the trailer brakes hooked up but I am pretty sure in Canada where I am it is illegal to pull a trailer that has brake to not have them hooked up .
I would also like to know how much my trailer tongue weight of 245 pounds lowers the rear of the Escape. Does the towing package mean it has stronger springs to compensate for that ?
BTW , the manual on my 2020 states 3600 pounds rather than 3500 as has been suggested. Would that be because of the difference in models previous to 2020 ?
right. 3rd gen was 3500. my mistake.
there are adapters for 4 pin to 7. its the proper way to do it, you'll need the wire from the brake controller (or use a wireless version) as well as large fused power from the battery.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
right. 3rd gen was 3500. my mistake.
there are adapters for 4 pin to 7. its the proper way to do it, you'll need the wire from the brake controller (or use a wireless version) as well as large fused power from the battery.
Thanks for that . Within the past half hour I have been checking out amazon .ca .
I would not need the 4 foot long one you suggested . I found "among others" , this one that includes both male and female 4 pin plugs and separate wires for brakes etc. I would think the blue or yellow on is for brakes .Would not need backup lights hooked in .
Yes , I do understand about the fused wire from battery to the brake controller. I have experienced that with previous vehicles over the years even though I am just a young'un at 85 this coming April and still going camping and to music jams from spring to fall every year .

·
Registered
31 Posts
I tow a 3000lbs trailer regularly with my 17. Fully loaded, it's really close to max, with no trailer brakes. The vehicle pulls it very easily, even on major interstate uphills.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tow a 3000lbs trailer regularly with my 17. Fully loaded, it's really close to max, with no trailer brakes. The vehicle pulls it very easily, even on major interstate uphills.
That is amazing and I am glad to hear it with my expectations of going to tow a totally loaded well under 3000 pound R-Pod camper trailer come springtime when the campsites open.
Unfortunately it would be illegal for me to pull a trailer that has brakes , to not have them hooked up in Canada so I assume you are in the states .
Are you just using the 4 pin plat plug that comes with the towing package ? I will have to get a brake controller wired into a 7 pin plug for mine .
How about hitch ? Are you using a load levelling /sway bar type hitch or just directly onto the 2" receiver ? If only onto the receiver as is , what is the tongue weight of your trailer and is it single or double axle because a single axle creates more sway than a double one .
Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to weigh my options here ahead of time . Your detailed reply will be much appreciated .

·
Registered
2021 ST Line X Edition 190ps Diesel AWD in Lucid Red
11 Posts
My little caravan for mine :) over pond in UK
PXL_20210116_144744634.jpg PXL_20210116_144711174.MP.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My little caravan for mine :) over pond in UK
View attachment 78711 View attachment 78712
That looks amazing and I am wondering if it was just backed up to that trailer as a joke or if it is for real .
If it is for real , what engine do you have in that 2021 Escape and what is the weight of the trailer . 2021's are not even available yet in my small town in British Columbia , Canada , The dealers lots are practically empty due to Covid delays . I got the very last 2020 on the lot when I got mine early this month .

·
Registered
11 Posts
That looks amazing and I am wondering if it was just backed up to that trailer as a joke or if it is for real .
If it is for real , what engine do you have in that 2021 Escape and what is the weight of the trailer . 2021's are not even available yet in my small town in British Columbia , Canada , The dealers lots are practically empty due to Covid delays . I got the very last 2020 on the lot when I got mine early this month .
No that is my Caravan I have the 190bhp two litre diesel AWD so tons of torque as well. Towing capacity is 2100kg/4630 lbs. The caravan has max allowable mass of 1800kg/3970lbs. Though i normally keep it at 1700kg/ 3750 lbs. Haven't had chance to tow yet due to covid restrictions, hopefully soon. Nice electric folding towbar on mine as well same as this

IMG_20190919_101632.jpg 20180706_144225.jpg 20180917_141731.jpg 20180917_141708.jpg IMG_20190611_200719.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for your reply. That is a pretty awesome vehicle you have there . I am not sure if that model of an Escape is even available in Canada with that diesel engine . . I love your disappearing electric hitch . . I am curious if the actual physicals body size is the same as the 2.0 turbo like mine as well as if your towing package has heavier springs or any other beefed up components compared to the 2.0 liter gas models . Did it come with the 7 pin plug in for your trailer or just the 4 pin flat plug like mine that I will have to change to 7 pin before pulling my trailer .There are probably specs on that somewhere on the internet but you might know the answers to save me a bunch of searching . Happy trailer towing to you . I am anxiously awaiting for spring when I can go to provincial parks camping and music jams again. Provincial parks were open all season last year with very few restrictions . I went many times from spring to fall but I was driving a Toyota Tundra gas hog pickup truck and it thought I was towing a fly behind it . . .lol . .

·
Registered
11 Posts
We have 13 pin electric socket over here now, it is attached to the fold down towbar. As it does all lights, plus leisure battery charging and fridge whilst towing. From what i can find online the physical dimensions for Escape and Kuga are the same. The suspension on mine is very similar multilink setup same as Focus had. The vin plate shows axle limits, ok it kg for over here

61Xu37y9x4L._AC_SL1002_.jpg plug1.jpg.61db0d51546324347349e52688890bce.jpg kugvin.png

1 - 19 of 19 Posts