2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Wow, 1.6 hours to do the job. It would take me that long just to round up all the proper tools.

·
Super Moderator
2,066 Posts
Is this area visible through the wheel arch or is it necessary to remove the lower cover? My warranty expires in a matter of weeks so I want to check areas like this out before then.

·
Super Moderator
2,066 Posts
Okay, thanks. I was planning on giving it a good check over- which means I'd need to remove the under tray/ cover anyway.

Australia doesn't have the same sort of vehicle recall/ fault logging like the US does. Even if I showed them the US TSB they'd still be wanting me to pay for it out of warranty. :(

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm not sure if it is the same thing but my 2017 Escape started making a winding noise. The dealership ended up replacing the PTU due to it leaking and wearing out due to low fluid. (there was no sign of leaking on the ground so it must have been spinning off while driving)

·
Super Moderator
2,066 Posts
I checked mine last weekend and it was completely dry.

·
Super Moderator
668 Posts
Mine was leaking when the car was fairly new, less than 10K miles. The dealer didn't fix it until the 2nd time I pointed it out. Hopefully the replacement seal lasts a while...

·
Registered
116 Posts
So...is this bad or is it just when water might splash up there and the dirt trails down? I removed the shield some time ago because of how often I was crawling under the thing. My PTU fluid seems fine, I just changed it when it was warm in February I believe so I'd imagine it'd come out 'wetter' looking.

Attachments

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The picture appears to be the output shaft to the rear differential "RDU"
the TSB is about a leak from the PTU where the half shaft goes into the PTU right side
my output shaft has a little residue just like you picture

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Mine was leaking when the car was fairly new, less than 10K miles. The dealer didn't fix it until the 2nd time I pointed it out. Hopefully the replacement seal lasts a while...
Would this seal be covered by the 5 year powertrain warranty?

·
Super Moderator
668 Posts
Would this seal be covered by the 5 year powertrain warranty?
Yes, absolutely. I had the same issue on a Ford Fiesta repaired under the 5 year warranty. I didn't know it was covered, but the dealership knew it was covered under the warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just purchased a 2013 1.6l all wheel drive escape. The passenger axel seal is leaking at the PTU. Mine was built 2/13 and I get mixed results when looking for parts. If my dealer is correct (and I did have him check with the vin), my PTU is a CVC6Z-7251-Q some sites say mine is a -D which is discontinued. So I hope mine is the Q version. Does anyone know the part number for the passenger side axel shaft seal at the PTU?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts