2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried searching and couldn't find a someone else with the same part leaking. I have oil leaking from what appears to be some type of electric actuator or sensor mounted to the side of the boost side of the turbo charger. My first thought is oil shouldn't even be in this area since it is mounted to the air intake. It could be coming from somewhere else, but it doesn't appear to be coming from the valve cover. I'll post a picture of the part covered in oil. Any help is appreciated on identifying the part and if there could be other areas the oil could actually be coming from. 2014 Escape 1.6l with 90k miles.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,337 Posts
I'm 99.9%+ sure that the black plastic part is the Wastegate Position Sensor; has a two-pin connector with a violet/brown-stripe wire and a yellow/orange-stripe wire.

I determined this using the '14 Workshop Manual by looking at the component location views and then backtracking to the wiring diagram to find the function of the associated electrical connector (C1650) on the Turbo Assembly.

The sensor itself is not detailed as a component separate from the turbo assembly in the Workshop Manual (no info on R&R of the Sensor from the turbo in the WSM), nor do I find it ID'd as a replacement part separate from the turbo assembly in TascaParts.

My suggestion is to thoroughly clean the entire backside of the engine and turbo then see if, by inspecting carefully for the least weep/streaks in the entire area after a short drive (then more driving if required), you can determine the originating source of the oil. You may need to let things cool-down after driving so you can 'feel' for oil weeps with your fingers in hidden places (lots of very hot surfaces in that area, be careful!). The rate of oil leak may be very low, so some repeated checking at regular intervals of driving may be required to track it down.

Don't 'limit' your inspection area, the root source of the oil may not be at that component or even particularly near, that could just be the place it's ending up 'sticking' in the turbulent air of the engine bay.

Good luck, keep us posted.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm 99.9%+ sure that the black plastic part is the Wastegate Position Sensor; has a two-pin connector with a violet/brown-stripe wire and a yellow/orange-stripe wire.

I determined this using the '14 Workshop Manual by looking at the component location views and then backtracking to the wiring diagram to find the function of the associated electrical connector (C1650) on the Turbo Assembly.

The sensor itself is not detailed as a component separate from the turbo assembly in the Workshop Manual (no info on R&R of the Sensor from the turbo in the WSM), nor do I find it ID'd as a replacement part separate from the turbo assembly in TascaParts.

My suggestion is to thoroughly clean the entire backside of the engine and turbo then see if, by inspecting carefully for the least weep/streaks in the entire area after a short drive (then more driving if required), you can determine the originating source of the oil. You may need to let things cool-down after driving so you can 'feel' for oil weeps with your fingers in hidden places (lots of very hot surfaces in that area, be careful!). The rate of oil leak may be very low, so some repeated checking at regular intervals of driving may be required to track it down.

Don't 'limit' your inspection area, the root source of the oil may not be at that component or even particularly near, that could just be the place it's ending up 'sticking' in the turbulent air of the engine bay.

Good luck, keep us posted.
As a follow up I had a 2017 1.5L leak in a similar fashion. The bearing seal blew out according to the tech and the oil found the nearest path and it was the sensor. Replaced Turbo under warranty and is holding steady for now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts