2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here. My mom has a 2013 escape. She was driving yesterday and the car just stopped accelerating. Had it towed to a regular mechanic and he said there were codes thaty came back he couldn't clear and we should take it to Ford. Bring it to Ford today, service manager calls and says for starters we need to replace turbochargers and fuel sensors which will cost $650. He then tells her that then they will have to run the codes again to see if that is actually the problem or if there are other issues. Once those new parts are installed they have to run more tests to see what the other codes are. No guarantee that the sensors for the turbocharger and sensor will fix the problem.I feel like she's getting scammed. Anyone have experience with this?
thanks

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,740 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Can you get more specific details on what parts they want to replace e.g. I'd be surprised if Ford would replace the turbo for only $650?

Has it been serviced regularly in the past? Also which EcoBoost engine is fitted- the 1.6l ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum.

Can you get more specific details on what parts they want to replace e.g. I'd be surprised if Ford would replace the turbo for only $650?

Has it been serviced regularly in the past? Also which EcoBoost engine is fitted- the 1.6l ?
Thanks - they said those 2 sensors were coming up bad. the turbo and the fuel. They said that's what the codes said and can't figure out the rest until they replace those parts. I guess it would be 850 since they're charging $200 for diagnosis but they take it off the repair.
She has the SE model 4 cyl. 2.0L L4 DOHC 16V

·
Super Moderator
2,740 Posts
Going by here Turbocharger & Components for 2013 Ford Escape | TascaParts.com the normal price of the turbo is $1200. If it's a sensor associated with the turbo that would make more sense with the price given- perhaps the MAP sensor? Powertrain Control for 2013 Ford Escape | TascaParts.com (2nd from the bottom.) Fuel components here Fuel System Components for 2013 Ford Escape | TascaParts.com (pressure sensor near the bottom of the page.)

A lot of the costs are possibly labour to access the parts. There's probably not a lot you can do. Ask for them to keep the old parts for you- at least then you can check exactly what has been done.

Reactions: cameragirl

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks - it's really the part that they don't know if that is the actual problem and it will cost me more. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update: I drove to the dealer and spoke with the service manager. He gave me the codes and told me worst case scenarios and pricing. I come to find out - they never even put it on a lift. So he will be doing that tomorrow to check the trans even though he says none of the codes are for the trans. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Can you post the code numbers here? Loss of power could be as simple as the wrong oil being used. We can’t help unless you give us the details.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you post the code numbers here? Loss of power could be as simple as the wrong oil being used. We can’t help unless you give us the details.
They all had to do with acceleration, throttle , fuel and possibly the main brain of the car p2138 , bulkhead connector, p008b, p06a7, p2127

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quite a collection of faults. I’d start by verifying you have good clean battery connections for both power and ground. So many voltage related codes often can be related if the supply is intermittent or poor.

Verify the battery posts are clean and the cables tightened. If that’s good test the battery. Most Walmart’s will test for free

Did the loss of power occur suddenly or gradually over time?

·
Registered
2020 Escape
182 Posts
Sounds like battery or a wiring harness issue. All the codes include a troubleshooting reference to wiring, bad connections or bad sensors. The p06a7 code appears to be in reference to the transmission. Has anyone giving the wiring harness a look to see if a friendly neighborhood rodent has decided the chew on it? We have had issues at work with squirrels chewing on harnesss in vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
2,740 Posts
There's also a known wiring loom fault in certain year models for loom crimps failing/ being intermittent.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quite a collection of faults. I’d start by verifying you have good clean battery connections for both power and ground. So many voltage related codes often can be related if the supply is intermittent or poor.

Verify the battery posts are clean and the cables tightened. If that’s good test the battery. Most Walmart’s will test for free

Did the loss of power occur suddenly or gradually over time?
suddenly, my parents were on an exit ramp and it just died - no acceleration at all. I had driven it last week, drove just fine like it always does

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like battery or a wiring harness issue. All the codes include a troubleshooting reference to wiring, bad connections or bad sensors. The p06a7 code appears to be in reference to the transmission. Has anyone giving the wiring harness a look to see if a friendly neighborhood rodent has decided the chew on it? We have had issues at work with squirrels chewing on harnesss in vehicles.
no, I actually had to ask them to put it on a lift as they only plugged it in for testing lol. She's decided to fix it so she has more time to get rid of it
I'll update the final diagnosis

·
Super Moderator
2,740 Posts
I checked all of the recalls
I don't think there was ever an official recall for it, but could be wrong. See
and also search on here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts