2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my new 2017 Escape 2.0 EcoBoost Titanium on April 28th. I've got a short commute to and from work, so I've only put about 220 miles on it so far. Here are my Opinions, observations, pros, and cons.

Styling-wise, I really like it. The new nose for 2017 is less distinctive than the older Escapes, but a little more conventional. One of the things that I didn't like about the older models were the exposed windshield washer nozzles. Must nicer having them tucked away under the hood. Looks more sleek and less cheap. Love the revised taillights with the blackened look to them. The 18" 10-spoke wheels are nice, but not my favorite design ever. I really like the optional 19" wheel, but that wasn't in the cards this time around.

The interior is, in my opinion, sort of futuristic looking. The shape of the gauge cluster, the touchscreen housing, and the dashboard in general are pretty interesting. I actually find it fun to look at, and not really that busy or complicated. Seats are comfortable, and I am really enjoying the upright seating position (and so is my back). Memory function is really nice to have if/when someone else needs to drive. The LED interior lighting is a great touch. Dunno if i'll ever use the color-changing function of the accent LED lighting, but hey, it's a cool parlor trick and I can see the appeal for certain customers. Really like that Ford moved the shift lever to a more conventional position, too. Rear seat room is good. I've got a big old carseat in the middle, and in rear facing configuration. Any passengers will be a little tight, but it's perfectly doable for a short trip. Cargo room with the seats up is very good. My stroller fits in there fine with plenty of room to fit other stuff. Should do my family of 3 just fine for a good while.

Visibility I find to be excellent, except for the rear. The two rear headrests are pretty big and block some of the window, but it's nothing that I would think is a problem in normal driving. Besides, the backup camera and sensors do a great job of showing you everything that's behind you, at least when you're in reverse.

The transmission does the job well. It's smooth and responds well to throttle input (downshifts). Shift paddles are a huge improvement over the gear lever rocker switch of older models. They're good to have if you need a quick downshift without applying more throttle.

Start/Stop. I don't have any real problems with the system. I've found that it operates smoothest if you give the trans a little time to reengage before you get on the throttle. My previous three cars were all equipped with DSG dual-clutch gearboxes, and I used to do the same thing from a stop. It made for a much smoother takeoff. I've disabled the system a few times because of heavy traffic, and I can easily and quickly override the system by lifting off the brake a little bit, or hitting one of the shift paddles. All in all, I think it's a good feature, but I'm wondering how much of it is a gimmick, and how much it's really helping.

Brakes are great. I have total confidence in them, especially now that I've gotten used to them. Handling is very good, if a little soft in the corners. Then again. I'm coming from driving nothing but hot hatches, stock and modified. Ride quality is excellent. It's smooth and comfortable. It handles these NYC roads very well.

Sync3 works well enough, but I've been utilizing Android Auto more.

Things I love about my Escape:(in no particular order)
*The 2.0 EcoBoost engine. I'm still breaking the car in, but this engine really has a lot of pull. I like knowing that I have plenty of power to merge and maneuver. Works very well with the transmission, too.
*Power liftgate w. hands-free. I didn't think it would be as awesome as it is. Arms full of stuff? No problem! Kick and stand back to watch the show. Love it. Worth every penny.
*Panoramic sunroof. I love letting the light in. It's fun to open it up all the way so my son can look at something other than the headliner.
*Remote start. We had a particularly hot Saturday a couple of weeks ago, and it was so cool (no pun intended) to start the car from down the block to get the AC going. I can imagine it being even more useful when it's freezing outside.
*Android Auto. So cool to be able to plug in my phone and have Google Maps up on the screen. Haven't played around with music yet, but I'll get to it.

Things that I don't love about my Escape:
*The touchscreen is a little too far away for me to use comfortably. Granted, I'm not a tall guy (5'6"), but I have to reach to get to the screen. Would have been nice if the volume knob was actually another way of navigating the screen instead.
*I find that the transmission isn't always the smoothest when starting off from a stop, either with or without start/stop engaged.
*The transmission does not shift very quickly at all when using the paddles. Maybe I'm just spoiled from my years with DSG transmissions, but my father's Q5 shifts pretty quick in manual mode, and that has a torque converter auto too. The Escape isn't going to carve any canyons, but I'd like a faster shift.
*Dead Pedal/Footrest is sort of at an odd angle. My left foot gets uncomfortable unless I find that Goldilocks position.
*The seats could use a little more bolstering for my taste. I feel like I'm sitting on them, not in them.
*I wish there was a little more storage space under the trunk floor.

All in all, I'm very happy with my Escape. I'm looking forward to many miles of fun!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad you enjoyed my write-up.

Another thing I found odd with the Escape is the mix of LED and non-LED lighting. Interior is all LED, except for the trunk (which is dim). License plate lights are not LED, and neither are the puddle lights. I'd have thought that there would have been another LED in the trunk at least. Nothing the aftermarket can't fix, but it just seemed like there could have been use of LED's in those areas, at least for consistency's sake.

Tail lights, too. Brakes are LED, but turn signal and reverse are non-LED. I could kinda see this making sense if there was a full-LED tail light with the 301A package, but there isn't (to my knowledge).

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but just something I noticed.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Nice writeup! I should update my original post with only a few miles on it. Got it March 28th, and today passed the 3000 mile mark, so it isn't quite getting the miles the car it replaced gets, but we'll see if summer means vacation or not this year.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Very thoughtful review....be sure to update us with your impressions once you've taken it on a long trip, I'm sure you'll love it even more!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very thoughtful review....be sure to update us with your impressions once you've taken it on a long trip, I'm sure you'll love it even more!
Looking forward to it! I've only had it on the highway a couple of times so far, but it's a nice, stable, and comfortable ride. Again, plenty of power thanks to that 2.0 EcoBoost. Hoping to get away for a night or two this June, so I'm interested to see just how it does when it's got a load of luggage and a few miles in front of it.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Glad you enjoyed my write-up.

Another thing I found odd with the Escape is the mix of LED and non-LED lighting. Interior is all LED, except for the trunk (which is dim). License plate lights are not LED, and neither are the puddle lights. I'd have thought that there would have been another LED in the trunk at least. Nothing the aftermarket can't fix, but it just seemed like there could have been use of LED's in those areas, at least for consistency's sake.

Tail lights, too. Brakes are LED, but turn signal and reverse are non-LED. I could kinda see this making sense if there was a full-LED tail light with the 301A package, but there isn't (to my knowledge).

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but just something I noticed.

Plenty of threads on this forum about updating your lights to LEDS.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Visibility I find to be excellent, except for the rear. The two rear headrests are pretty big and block some of the window,

I found this too, I just tipped the rear seat headrests forward which helped a lot. IF anyone rides in the back seat, they can just flip them back up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another week down. Now I've got about 400 miles on the car. Still loving it. Here's a few more observations I've racked up:

• I'm much more confident in the Escape's handling. It's no sports car, but it does pretty well in corners. I'm enjoying that quite a bit.
  • The engine is still breaking in, but I've gotten on it a couple of times. This thing is pretty quick! I find that the acceleration from a dead stop isn't great, probably due to the auto trans and whatever lag is present with the small turbo, but acceleration when you're moving is excellent. The trans also downshifts without too much input. Great for the city.
  • Speaking of the transmission, I find that sport mode is actually a lot of fun and not too crazy. Still shifts at 3k, but will hold the revs and shift higher up in the rev range if I give it more throttle.
  • Been fiddling with my seating position. I think I found a more comfortable position for my right foot. Still wish the seats had more bolstering, though. They also seem a little on the hard side. Maybe they'll break in a bit with time.
Also, my Escape seems to be one where the "global opening" feature for the windows does not work. Bummer. I had this activated on all my previous VW's, and was excited that the Escape had it from the factory. Read up on it and it seems that lots of 2017's have it disabled. Oh well. At least I have the remote start so I can cool the car off before I get in!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Another week down. Now I've got about 400 miles on the car. Still loving it. Here's a few more observations I've racked up:

Also, my Escape seems to be one where the "global opening" feature for the windows does not work. Bummer. I had this activated on all my previous VW's, and was excited that the Escape had it from the factory. Read up on it and it seems that lots of 2017's have it disabled. Oh well. At least I have the remote start so I can cool the car off before I get in!

My 2017 don't have the global open either. I was disappointed for a little while to. Summer it gets very hot in my garage and I don't like leaving the windows open since my ally is dusty and the inside of my vehicles always got dirty inside from that. Then I remembered the remote start would cool it off with the AC so I'm ok with not having the global open. Never had remote start on a vehicle and sure glad I have it on here cause it's real nice and I use it all winter. Forgot it also cools in the summer turning the AC on so I'm happy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, it's been a few months since I've had my Escape, and I've gotten used to the car in that time.

The car has about 2100 miles on it now. I drive about 90% city, so that accounts for the relatively low miles. I'm finding that the Escape is a great car for the city. It's small enough that parking isn't usually an issue, and it has great pick-up from a standstill, so accelerating from a stoplight is excellent.

Handling, once I adjusted from coming from a series of hot hatches, is surprisingly good. It really handles more like a big hatchback than a small SUV, which I suppose makes sense because of the Escape's Focus DNA. Still, I'm surprised at how nimble the Escape is.

The power of the 2.0 Ecoboost is outstanding. Highway merging is a non-issue. There's a bit of weight for the engine to move, but once the E gets going, it's downright fast. I mean it's not a sports car or muscle car, but it is more than capable of surprising people.

The transmission is fine for an automatic. It does everything it needs to do, and it does it well. Sport mode is a lot of fun, and really wakes the Escape up. Manual mode is... acceptable at best. It's handy for downshifting, but upshifting is S L O W. I wish it was quicker in that respect, and I think that would make the car feel a lot sportier. Then again, however many people are buying an Escape and looking for "sporty"?

The interior is great. The drivers seat has broken in and now I feel that it holds me in a lot better. I still have that big rear facing child seat in the back, and passengers on either side are actually pretty comfortable for short trips.

Sync3 is nice, but I still use Android Auto most of the time. I have had a couple of glitches with Sync3 and AA, but nothing too terrible.

Thankfully, the car has been problem free thus far, except for a strange rattle that's developed. It sounds like something metal shaking around in the passenger side rear when I go over larger bumps. I looked around the and haven't seen anything obvious, but I haven't taken anything apart, either.

All in all, I am very satisfied with my decision to get an Escape. I'm leasing mine, but as long as I don't develop a need for something larger in the future, I would probably purchase it once the time comes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts