2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2014 Ford Escape Titanium this week. I've been trying to program the garage door opener and I can't get it to work. I don't want to take it in to our local Ford dealer because I didn't buy it there and when I stopped in yesterday the salesman seemed a bit agitated that I asked him to give me a quick tutorial. My husband thinks this is understandable seeing as how I was wasting his time with a vehicle he did not make commission on. Whatever, anyway... I've watched videos and looked through the owner's manual, and nowhere can I find what to do if the home link is blinking red. Can anyone help, or tell me who I can contact?
Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
796 Posts
The garage door openers I have use a different frequency (I believe) than the ones sold today. Mine are 16 years old. When I brought my 2017 FE home I tried programming one of the garage doors. It seemed to take but didn't work. There are further directions for what to do if that is the case. The further directions pretty much have you programming the way you would program a separate remote for that garage door opener. Look at the manual for your garage door opener and you can pretty much follow the instructions for programming a remote.

I'm going to wait until spring because where I live it is very cold right now so I don't want to be letting all that cold air into my garage when I can wait until summer. So right now I'm just using a garage door remote, but I'll be pleased if I can configure the buttons on the Escape to each open a garage door (we have three).

There should be instructions in the manual that comes with the FE. If not, you can download a manual. If you don't have the operating manual for your garage door you should be able to search online and find it.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,341 Posts

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Go to the Ford Owners site. They have a ton of videos available

·
Super Moderator
3,187 Posts
Can't blame the sales guy and he can't help you anyway. You need to be by your garage door opener when programming.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm having the same trouble programming mine, I'll check out the videos on the Ford Owners site. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
also consider the instruction manual for your garage door opener.
IIRC there are multiple way to program.

i couldnt get 1 of my doors to program easily on my Homelink, had to use the garage door manual

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
One suggestion that may help based upon my experience. The manual provides two methods of programming the opener. The first (using the garage door remote) did not work for me. The second, getting the vehicle close to the opener and then activating the "send code" button on the opener did work for me. If you have not tried that you might consider it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Homelink issue

I have gone thru several threads on this topic but still have an issue. I recently purchased a 2016 Escape with homelink. I have homelink on my 2015 Edge and Chrysler, so I am very familiar with programming homelink. Our home has 2 garage doors, one with the old garage door opener and another with a rolling code opener.
I initially programmed the older opener with no problem (by holding the hand transmitter to the homelink button). I could not get the other opener to work, despite utilizing the learn button on the opener. I erased the homelink buttons several times to try again and always got the older opener to work but no luck on the rolling code opener. I finally got the rolling code opener to work via instructions from the Chrysler manual. However, now the older opener did not work, so like an idiot, I cleared all buttons to start over. Now I can not get either opener to program to homelink. Both of the handheld garage door openers still work, so I assume the batteries are still good?
During this whole process, I must have deprogrammed the rolling garage door opener on my other cars. However, I was able to reprogram the Edge and Chrysler with no problem at all.
So now I can not program either door opener. All I am getting is slow blinking red light on the homelink buttons. I saw something about using the canadian method but have not tried that yet.

Any suggestions would be great.

·
Super Moderator
6,001 Posts
I have gone thru several threads on this topic but still have an issue. I recently purchased a 2016 Escape with homelink. I have homelink on my 2015 Edge and Chrysler, so I am very familiar with programming homelink. Our home has 2 garage doors, one with the old garage door opener and another with a rolling code opener.
I initially programmed the older opener with no problem (by holding the hand transmitter to the homelink button). I could not get the other opener to work, despite utilizing the learn button on the opener. I erased the homelink buttons several times to try again and always got the older opener to work but no luck on the rolling code opener. I finally got the rolling code opener to work via instructions from the Chrysler manual. However, now the older opener did not work, so like an idiot, I cleared all buttons to start over. Now I can not get either opener to program to homelink. Both of the handheld garage door openers still work, so I assume the batteries are still good?
During this whole process, I must have deprogrammed the rolling garage door opener on my other cars. However, I was able to reprogram the Edge and Chrysler with no problem at all.
So now I can not program either door opener. All I am getting is slow blinking red light on the homelink buttons. I saw something about using the canadian method but have not tried that yet.

I merged your thread with one of the existing threads you where mentioning. Thank you for searching the forum, we appreciate it when members try this at first. I decided to merge your thread with one of the existing threads to make it easier for other members to find this information, if someone else experiences the same problem.

I noticed you are new, welcome to the forum. :)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts

I'm surprised the rolling code ones can be programmed at all. The whole point of rolling codes is that they can't be "guessed", and unless you know the seed or how the rolling algorithm works you should NOT be able to record it and figure out the next code -- by design. So a "self learning" remote shouldn't work. Otherwise, anyone could monitor your signal and figure out your next code and open your door when you leave.

Chrysler may have outed their sequence to help, but without some information and a way to get it into the Homelink, I'd say it should not be able to be made to work.

Great video on how the systems both work, and how to hack them, here:

It covers rolling codes late in the video around 37 minutes or so.

The short takeaway is nothing is totally secure, and the ones with non-rolling codes are TERRIBLY insecure. I'd never use one. They can be hacked with a "De Bruijn Sequence" in mere seconds in most implementations. Not kidding. All the hardware is readily available and less than $200 to do so. Word.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No, the rolling codes garage door was not guessed or hacked. I just utilized the method for rolling codes in the Chrysler manual which was slightly different than the Ford manual. What is frustrating now is that I can not even get thenon-rolling code opener to work, despite the fact that I got it to take several times prior without a problem but as I indicated, I kept clearing the homelink in an effort to get the rolling code opener to work.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
No, the rolling codes garage door was not guessed or hacked. I just utilized the method for rolling codes in the Chrysler manual which was slightly different than the Ford manual. What is frustrating now is that I can not even get thenon-rolling code opener to work, despite the fact that I got it to take several times prior without a problem but as I indicated, I kept clearing the homelink in an effort to get the rolling code opener to work.
I suppose it's possible the Homelink is whacked in some way. It's a pain in the neck, but either pulling the fuse that feeds it for a bit, or disconnecting the battery for a while might reset it back to where you can get it to react properly again.

All I can think of at this point.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I disconnected the battery. Not sure if that helped but I was able to get the non-rolling code opener to work. However, no luck with the rolling code opener.

I may try the suggestion of buying a new generic opener and programming it to the rolling code opener and then try the new opener on the homelink?

Any thoughts if I could get the homelink replaced as the Escape is still under the original warranty.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Any thoughts if I could get the homelink replaced as the Escape is still under the original warranty.

Thanks
Huh. No idea if they warrant it to work with "everything" so that might be a stretch to get them to replace it. I'm still surprised it can do the rolling code without more information other than just a few signals. It can't be a very robust rolling code when that's the case.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Haven't read the whole thread, but are the batteries in the original remotes you a re using to program the Home link new? If the signal is weak from the transmitter, Home link may not be able to copy it.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I'm going to post some links, maybe you've already done all this but what the heck:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f49/homelink-problems-why-doesnt-mine-work-10589/index3.html

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/general-discussion/76444-problem-homelink-rolling-code-garage-door-openers.html

Actually, most of the other links are the same. In all cases it requires you to press a button on the garage door opener mechanism itself to get the opener to respond to a rolling code generated by the homelink. Is that your procedure?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, I hit the learn button on the main unit if the opener, it begins to flash red, I then go to the car at hit the homelink button as instructed, but it does not take.

I will take a look at what you posted.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got it fixed!
As suggested, I purchased a universal remote, synced it to the opener, then went in car and held button to remote and homelink until it started blinking fast (this is what I could not get it to do with the hold remote), then hit the learn button back on the opener and the hit the homelink button a couple times and it was now programmed.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yes an old post... but my 2013 Escape Titanium Homelink all of a sudden stopped opening buth garage doors. Been fine since 2012 purchase. Other cars have non-Homelink and they work fine as does keypad.
Tried reset several times and the Step 1 and Step 2 (learn button on opener) many times and when I get to the learn button .... then 30 seconds..... I push the Homelink button2 seconds for three times..and never accepts the programming.

Can it be the Homelink module (embedded in the visor) is just bad ? I have an RF tester for RF devices and some RF signal does come from the Homelink... so possible way off frequency. But then the button procedure never completes per the Homelink and Ford manual.

I can use a spare visor maounted remote but like the idea of built in Homelink....

Any thoughts ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts