2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my Escape has had a few rattling problems in the past but they would tend to get sorted out on their own after a day or two.

Well, not I have a MAJOR squeaking/rattling/cricket like sound, that has been driving me insane for 2 weeks now.

It took me a long time to pinpoint where I thought it was coming from, but I finally discovered it is coming from my lift gate.

I have been totally unable to figure out what could be the problem though. I sprayed every possible hinge, strut, and everything that moves with WD40 to oil them up, and that hasn't changed anything.

I have a video that shows off the squeaking, so if anyone has had this happen, and knows what the hell it is, I'd really appreciate it, otherwise I'm going to drive my car off the cliff one of these days when I leave work.

Here's a link to the video my dash cam recorded that shows off the squeaking problem

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,341 Posts
...... I sprayed every possible hinge, strut, and everything that moves with WD40 to oil them up, and that hasn't changed anything. ....
More likely than not the source is something that not supposed to move, moving against something else that's not supposed to move.

• Check to ensure that the inside liftgate handle screws are tight (mine backed-out over time and allowed a rattle; applied a coat of RTV silicon seal to the screw threads upon re-install and no problem since; that did not interfere with later intentional R&R to do some work inside the liftgate).
  • Push/ pull/ tap and tug on the liftgate trim at various locations
  • It's possible that one of the liftgate trim clips is was properly seated during assembly (or a component/connector/harness inside the liftgate is not properly secured) - you may need to remove all the trim, look for things loose in the liftgate, and re-install taking care to ensure all the clips are seated and tight
One technique is to (carefully) take a ride in the cargo area while someone else is (carefully) driving to try to better isolate the noise / source.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the big problem was trying to figure out where the source was located, because the squeak radiates through the car so much that is sounds like it's right next to you no matter where you are.

I thought it was the center dashboard for a while until one day I shut my back door and heard it from the outside. Then I opened the liftgate and shook it around for a while, and then I found out it was the liftgate.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,341 Posts
Yeah the big problem was trying to figure out where the source was located, because the squeak radiates through the car so much that is sounds like it's right next to you no matter where you are.

I thought it was the center dashboard for a while until one day I shut my back door and heard it from the outside. Then I opened the liftgate and shook it around for a while, and then I found out it was the liftgate.
So now the challenge is to more precisely isolate the source within the liftgate.... ;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have the same exact sound coming from my hatch area too! I recently had a rattle sound as well, but that was solved by the dealer last week when they secured the bolts holding the handle on the right part of the hatch as the screws were loose. I thought that was the cause of the rattle and this squeak but this squeak is still there and I have no idea exactly what part it is. But it is definitely coming from the hatch area. Anyone have any suggestions? What part exactly?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
My liftgate panel has been pulled off so many times by the dealer looking for the roof rattle the clips were broken off the panel.. I am sure they weren't going to replace since I have to pulled it off to install my Kuga lights.. the panel is almost 300 bucks too.. I have it off the car for now.. and am trying to repair it but I want to finish connecting the inner light strips before I close it back up again..haha.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same exact sound coming from my hatch area too! I recently had a rattle sound as well, but that was solved by the dealer last week when they secured the bolts holding the handle on the right part of the hatch as the screws were loose. I thought that was the cause of the rattle and this squeak but this squeak is still there and I have no idea exactly what part it is. But it is definitely coming from the hatch area. Anyone have any suggestions? What part exactly?
I am having the same issue. Lift gate was fix once before but it’s loose again and I have the same rattling/chirping/squeaking noise as described in this post. . I have a service appointment tomorrow, this issue is on my list among a recall item and a previous recall item (driver door) that they didn’t put back on correctly. I’m worried the warranty is done and they won’t fix it??? If anyone figured out how to fix the chirp, please share.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am having the same issue. Lift gate was fix once before but it’s loose again and I have the same rattling/chirping/squeaking noise as described in this post. . I have a service appointment tomorrow, this issue is on my list among a recall item and a previous recall item (driver door) that they didn’t put back on correctly. I’m worried the warranty is done and they won’t fix it??? If anyone figured out how to fix the chirp, please share.
Check the wheel well area. Ive narrowed my squeaking to be coming from there. It seems like the bumper is loose or something as this squeaking sound only happens at higher speeds (55+) and does not happen at lower speeds in town, or even when I go over bumps. I can be driving over a smooth road and hear the sound, so I think the wind moving the loose bumper is causing it. I pressed against the rear left wheel well bumper area with my hand and heard the exact squeaking sound. So I'll be taking it to my dealer soon, but check your bumper

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually figured it out and fixed the issue.

The liftgate has been removed a few times, and the pressure clips in the middle of the gate, not along the edges, were loose but I was unaware there were even push clips in that area.

I only realized it one day when I put my hand up against the liftgate when I was trying to reach for something and I heard it click back in.

Then I pushed the rest of them in, and no more squeaking issue.

Theres still a little bit of a rattle as the car idles, but I haven't been able to pinpoint that rattle yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2017 Escape and this noise is EXACTLY what I hear in mine and it is driving me nuts.

I am not good with cars at all and I do t know anything about them. How do I push the push clips back in? I have no clue what those even are or where they are located. Your help would mean so much to me and my sanity!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello! Brand new user here, I haven't even posted in the introduction section yet, but I saw your post and I had to reply.

I bought a 2015 FE Titanium 2.0 Ecoboost a little under 2 weeks ago, and I noticed a really weird squeak/chirp that seemed to be coming from the rear liftgate area. For me, it didn't make the noise so much at speed, but EVERY time I closed any of the doors I would hear it. I searched the internet for days trying to figure it out. Another forum post recommended that I spray silicone lubricant behind my rear bumper. Armed with a can of spray lube, I crawled underneath and was ready to spray.

Before I started blasting, I realized that the noise was coming from the aluminum heat shield under the vehicle. I simply bent it a little bit, and PRESTO! No more squeaking/chirping!

I hope that is that easy of a fix for you, maybe I just got lucky, but I wanted to share!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I headed home after purchasing my 2016 Escape, I heard that very loud and nasty cricket sqeak at speeds above 40. Turned around and gave it back to CarMax to fix.

1. They replaced door liner and all fasteners for the back hatch.
2. They replaced the right side upper shock mount.

No more squeaks.

FWIW

·
Registered
5 Posts
Our 2013 has had this problem for most of the 6 years we've owned it. The dealer has adjusted the liftgate many times and it goes away for 2 weeks or so then slowly comes back louder and louder. Not wanting the car to be at the dealer all the time (it has been there way too often as it is) I have sprayed everything and that did not made a difference. Now that it is out of warranty (we had an extended one as well), I may start looking for a more permanent solution. I'll look at the door liner and wheel well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My major rattle problem on my Escape is coming from the passenger side , I know that the seatbelt holder attached to the floor is loose and probably rattling from the nice paved roads (sarcastic) here in Fla. Also, my passenger seat recline adjuster is loose(not much you can do about that) so I just turn the music up to drown it out and live with it. I know how annoying that can be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
More likely than not the source is something that not supposed to move, moving against something else that's not supposed to move.

• Check to ensure that the inside liftgate handle screws are tight (mine backed-out over time and allowed a rattle; applied a coat of RTV silicon seal to the screw threads upon re-install and no problem since; that did not interfere with later intentional R&R to do some work inside the liftgate).
  • Push/ pull/ tap and tug on the liftgate trim at various locations
  • It's possible that one of the liftgate trim clips is was properly seated during assembly (or a component/connector/harness inside the liftgate is not properly secured) - you may need to remove all the trim, look for things loose in the liftgate, and re-install taking care to ensure all the clips are seated and tight
One technique is to (carefully) take a ride in the cargo area while someone else is (carefully) driving to try to better isolate the noise / source.
So, my Escape has had a few rattling problems in the past but they would tend to get sorted out on their own after a day or two.

Well, not I have a MAJOR squeaking/rattling/cricket like sound, that has been driving me insane for 2 weeks now.

It took me a long time to pinpoint where I thought it was coming from, but I finally discovered it is coming from my lift gate.

I have been totally unable to figure out what could be the problem though. I sprayed every possible hinge, strut, and everything that moves with WD40 to oil them up, and that hasn't changed anything.

I have a video that shows off the squeaking, so if anyone has had this happen, and knows what the hell it is, I'd really appreciate it, otherwise I'm going to drive my car off the cliff one of these days when I leave work.

Here's a link to the video my dash cam recorded that shows off the squeaking problem

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the exact same sound/issue coming from the lift gate on my 2014 Escape Titanium. I bought the the car used about 2 months ago. The Subaru dealer I bought it from said they fixed it by lubing something but within a few weeks it was back as I thought it would be. I don’t work on my cars and will have to have to take it to the ford dealer for repair. Can anyone tell me what I should suggest the service department look at?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve been having the same issue for months now. My boyfriend told me it isn’t something I could google.. lol I just proved him wrong. Seems like it’s a reoccurring problem for a lot of people. Glad I came across this, will definitely be trying to use your suggestions. Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Duct tape fixes everything. Wrap a small piece of duct tape around the U shaped thing that the door latches onto. Worked for me - squeak is gone!

·
Super Moderator
2,224 Posts
We've got stuff called "Drilube" in Australia. It comes in stick form and is like a soft wax. Rub it onto the lock mechanism and it sticks to the metal- it quietens and lubricates.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2017 Escape developed a super annoying squeak in the rear hatch that I tracked down to broken spot welds near the latching mechanism. In the attached photo the broken spot welds are noted by solid black spots near the top. I added two sheet metal screws on each side (noted by the black rings around the screw heads). This immediately stopped the squeaking. You do need to remove the plastic inner trim panel to put in the screws but you should be able to see the spot welds even without removing the trim as they are just above the panel. The trim covers the added screws when reinstalled.
IMG_20200521_115308253_HDR.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts