2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE (6/6/2021)

Still no luck with this one. We changed the sparkplugs and the camshaft sensors. Going to a new mechanic now. Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

I bought a 2.0 AWD 2015 Escape. Changed the solenoid purge valve 'octopus' as it was not starting well after getting a full tank.

Now I have some wild stuttering between 2nd and 5th (RPM changes up and down, like oscillating but more randomly) and sometimes it goes extra wild, like the car on its entirely is shaking and you can feel it vibrating during those shakes (noisy vibration on the whole car, not an specific part or place). If I decrease or increase the gas pedal, it immediately goes away. This comes usually when I'm trying to "ask" some power from the vehicle, mainly up-hill or trying to overtake, it does commonly happen on low RPM. After 60MPH the symptoms almost completely disappear. Nevertheless they also happen (frequently) on normal driving and I usually try to drive very slow to save gas. For some reason, the symptoms get WAY worse with the AC on.

I had a catalyst code (P0420) and oxygen code (P1450) but after a catalyst cleaning service they disappeared. The symptoms persisted and the mechanic is telling me that he think is a transmission problem, though I do not feel a rough transmissions when shifting gears? I'm coming from a 97 Tercel, so I might be not the best person to judge this. When the car exhibits the symptoms, I also don't feel it shifting down or up.

I have and OBD2 Scanner, and re-run it: now is telling me a P0012-00 (intake camshaft position, over-retarded) with a P0217-00 (engine coolant overtemperature). I have not seen a temperature increase on the temp gauge and there is not (yet) a service light. I did had a service light when the catalyst code and the oxygen code where on.

Any help or tip will be GREATLY appreciated.

Many thanks,

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi,

I bought a 2.0 AWD 2015 Escape. Changed the solenoid purge valve 'octopus' as it was not starting well after getting a full tank.

Now I have some wild stuttering between 2nd and 5th (RPM changes up and down, like oscillating but more randomly) and sometimes it goes extra wild, like the car on its entirely is shaking and you can feel it vibrating during those shakes (noisy vibration on the whole car, not an specific part or place). If I decrease or increase the gas pedal, it immediately goes away. This comes usually when I'm trying to "ask" some power from the vehicle, mainly up-hill or trying to overtake, it does commonly happen on low RPM. After 60MPH the symptoms almost completely disappear. Nevertheless they also happen (frequently) on normal driving and I usually try to drive very slow to save gas. For some reason, the symptoms get WAY worse with the AC on.

I had a catalyst code (P0420) and oxygen code (P1450) but after a catalyst cleaning service they disappeared. The symptoms persisted and the mechanic is telling me that he think is a transmission problem, though I do not feel a rough transmissions when shifting gears? I'm coming from a 97 Tercel, so I might be not the best person to judge this. When the car exhibits the symptoms, I also don't feel it shifting down or up.

I have and OBD2 Scanner, and re-run it: now is telling me a P0012-00 (intake camshaft position, over-retarded) with a P0217-00 (engine coolant overtemperature). I have not seen a temperature increase on the temp gauge and there is not (yet) a service light. I did had a service light when the catalyst code and the oxygen code where on.

Many thanks,
I have a 2015 Escape Titanium myself. Preliminarily sounds like the Cam position sensor could be a culprit. There are so many things that can cause this kind of thing with the electronics onboard the vehicle. The Cam sensor tells the computer engine speed relative to vehicle speed and tells the transmission what gear it 'needs' to be in. Any faults in the sending data from that sensor can cause a litany of supposed problems, masking them as things that shouldn't be part of the equation. In other words, the trans may act up by not being given the correct engine speed and driving speed combination. I had a speed sensor fail and the car shifted into limp-in mode.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have a 2015 Escape Titanium myself. Preliminarily sounds like the Cam position sensor could be a culprit. There are so many things that can cause this kind of thing with the electronics onboard the vehicle. The Cam sensor tells the computer engine speed relative to vehicle speed and tells the transmission what gear it 'needs' to be in. Any faults in the sending data from that sensor can cause a litany of supposed problems, masking them as things that shouldn't be part of the equation. In other words, the trans may act up by not being given the correct engine speed and driving speed combination. I had a speed sensor fail and the car shifted into limp-in mode.
Many thanks for the reply. Yeah, I agree that there are so many things with the electronics that could go haywire. Your suggestion sounds on-spot! would by buying this part as it is only 50 on ebay (Motorcraft). I'm really looking forward to enjoying this car.

Hope yours have been easy to the pocket and fun to drive!

Thanks again

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks @ajef7885 and @jnissen. Oil was changed both on engine and transmission. My plan now is to replace both cam position sensor, re-check oil level, and if the problem continues, I might be ordering a variable valve solenoid. I hope to fix this issue. Will keep you guys posted. Many thanks!
@GCrimson, my 2014 has this stuttering engine noise on the passenger side when accelerating on freeway on-ramps. Suspecting bad turbo charger but not sure. Look forward to your update on the outcome. Thanks much in advance!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@GCrimson, my 2014 has this stuttering engine noise on the passenger side when accelerating on freeway on-ramps. Suspecting bad turbo charger but not sure. Look forward to your update on the outcome. Thanks much in advance!
Will do mate. I'm now facing some generator/alternator error, and I still have not received the parts. Will update this as soon as I fix the electrical problems. After that I will jump to this again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
UPDATE (6/6/2021)

Still no luck with this one. We changed the sparkplugs and the camshaft sensors. Going to a new mechanic now. Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

Many thanks,
I have a 2013 Ford escape, and I have this exact same problem. Ive take it to the dealership twice, first time they replaced some gas hose and it costs over $1k, second time they couldnt seem to see what the problem was. I then took the car to meineke, and they thought it was my spark plugs so I had those replaced. Im at a loss of what to do, it truly drives me crazy, I find it happens less when im in sport, but anytime I'm accelerating up a hill, or any kind of incline it stutters and shakes. I would love to know what to ask ford to look for rather then keep being charged diagnosis fees.. They tested my transmission and said that it was fine. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Check your engine oil level. Sometimes it’s leaking turbo bearings and the fluctuation in oil pressure will cause cam sensor codes and jerky performance. Had a bad turbo do this on our 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
UPDATE (6/6/2021)

Thanks

Hi,

Many thanks,
Any update. I know this is a old post. But mine is doing the exact same thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts