2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATED WITH LINK

I didn't really notice any noise or issues with my transmission until I put it into drive and it acted like it was in neutral. I shifted back into park and then reverse and it would not backup. Messing around with restarting the card and moving the shift selector, it finally acted normal and shifted into drive. I immediately moved it into our shop and let it sit overnight (it was cold and rainy and I was cold and tired). Today I started it up and everything is acting normal with it shifting into gear, but after idling in park for five or so minutes, it started making a quiet noise that progressed into a loud noise. It started as a light hum, then into a whine finally a loud whirring with a bit of a grind. Kind of like maxing out the turn radius of a vehicle and the power steering pump starts to make noise.

I've been researching and watching videos, so I have a list of some possible suspects, but I was hoping maybe someone else has dealt with a similar issue and could offer up some info. I'm pretty sure I can't post a video yet, but as soon as I click "Post thread" I'm going to make one and get ready to share as soon as I can.

Thanks for any input,

XRAY

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, here is my vehicle info which is also in my signature...

2014 Ford Escape FWD, 1.6L EcoBoost SCTi 160/182PS-Sigma, Ginger Ale

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about that. It sounds like the pump in the transmission has bit the dust or the better outcome is the transmission is leaking and low on fluid. Let's hope it's leaking and the leak can be repaired.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No leaks at the moment, at least nothing visibly wet or dripping after crawling underneath and digging in from the top. I also drained and filled the transmission fluid a little over 10,000 miles ago. It was at the correct level then, so without any leaks I'm assuming the fluid level is good.

Pump was my initial thought as well, along with torque converter or solenoids. Since it happens as it warms up an with engaging the transmission, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's not going to be a full transmission rebuild or replacement.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The solenoids will not make a peep. So honestly with the trans having the correct amount of fluid, the only thing I can come up with is the pump giving out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The torque converter of course relies upon fluid that is pumped into it. So the probability of it making noise or not working is slim. It needs fluid to work as we both know.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Oh and Please make sure you recheck the fluid level in the trans. That fluid is pumped into the radiator to be cooled too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's the noise mine made, sounds like a bad torque convertor... pull the "skid plate" off there is no where for fluid to leak... looking at about $2500 for a rebuild...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts