2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally bit the bullet and upgraded from Sync 2(MFT) to Sync 3! Took a lot of research to find an APIM with navigation. Lucked out with an APIM w/ navigation for a little over $280 off of LKQ. Came with screen and everything is functional. Sourced my GPS antenna, USB hub, hub harness, and bracket for nearly $70. I am very pleased with the results! I had DanMc85 program the APIM for me.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I am considering the same thing. I just really cringe at dropping $1,200+. I want the APIM with navigation, I don't mind having to get it used, and I don't mind having to get the other bits and pieces, like the GPS antenna or USB hub/plate used, either. I have MFT right now, so the programming would be my main issue (if I get the APIM cheap enough!). I've taken apart enough dashboards to be able to do the installation myself with confidence.

I saw DanMc85's site when I was researching. I was leery at first, but I'm glad to see someone else used him and had no issues. A dude with a website saying "I'll program your APIM gimme your VIN and info!" just makes those red flags pop right up! ?

Dyin' to do this after having used Sync 3, mostly because of the apps and UI. Would love it if there were some useful tips on how to do the programming myself with FORScan/Focccus so that I can be sure I'm not gonna brick it if I find a good deal. I never bank on a bargain twice. If I get one at a stellar price, odds are likely slim I'd find another at that same price.

Here's to hoping that the local salvage yard has a nice Escape with Sync 3 intact at some point!

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
How will software updates be handled? Which build of Sync 3 did he give you?

·
Registered
121 Posts
How will software updates be handled? Which build of Sync 3 did he give you?
Am I wrong to assume that, once programmed for a particular vehicle, updates would be the standard download from Ford and a flash drive? Or does Sync 3 get murky with that?

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Am I wrong to assume that, once programmed for a particular vehicle, updates would be the standard download from Ford and a flash drive? Or does Sync 3 get murky with that?
Do not know. That is why I asked question. In electronic terms the system is jail broken. If the Ford database says the vehicle has Sync 2, how would it know to give you an update for Sync 3?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Do not know. That is why I asked question. In electronic terms the system is jail broken. If the Ford database says the vehicle has Sync 2, how would it know to give you an update for Sync 3?
Good point! Maybe a trip to the dealer, telling them you upgraded to 3 (whether or not you need them to program it) would allow them to change that in the system? Or maybe they can at least offer the basics of a workaround, even if you do your updates on your own. I had NOT thought about how easy the updates would be to obtain from a reputable source! I'll have to play around on the Ford site sometime to see what's possible.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Map update is the only thing tied to a VIN/ESN combo. The software updates you can probably find links to on various forums. Just make sure you get the right one (Nav v Non-Nav and Pre-v3.2 v Post v3.2) for your setup.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the latest software my hardware will support is 3.0 - which is fine. Anyways,
Updates can be done with a flash drive or you can connect to WiFi and download an update that way. My WiFi wouldn’t reach my car so I had to use the flash drive part.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
So the latest software my hardware will support is 3.0 - which is fine. Anyways,
Updates can be done with a flash drive or you can connect to WiFi and download an update that way. My WiFi wouldn’t reach my car so I had to use the flash drive part.
I could be wrong but what I think @UofMEngineer is saying is that future updates (builds) will work but you will need to get them from non Ford sources. Your my owner account will not have them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m not sure there will be any more builds supported on my current hardware. You might be correct, I was able to use the ford website. I just know the hardware itself won’t support any newer firmware which is fine. Still a better system than MFT though.
I could be wrong but what I think @UofMEngineer is saying is that future updates (builds) will work but you will need to get them from non Ford sources. Your my owner account will not have them.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I’m not sure there will be any more builds supported on my current hardware. You might be correct, I was able to use the ford website. I just know the hardware itself won’t support any newer firmware which is fine. Still a better system than MFT though.
My take is any additional builds will be minor tweaks and fixes and possible changes to accommodate future iOS and/or Android changes.
Having had the MFT, I share your enthusiasm in the upgrade.

·
Registered
121 Posts
MFT was "okay" when it had support and was new. But so much has improved. With Android Auto and CarPlay available, who wouldn't want to upgrade? I'm also itching to ditch the SD navigation. It's too "isolated" from new info, and they haven't had an update since A10. I'm one of those who uses navigation a lot for unfamiliar areas and even travel in case of detours.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Yeah, unclear if they'll decide to spin anything for 3.0. If you really want the latest, there are ways even with older hardware, though that's not a zero risk game. The joys of the internet. :LOL:

Reactions: ralph7up

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Yeah, unclear if they'll decide to spin anything for 3.0. If you really want the latest, there are ways even with older hardware, though that's not a zero risk game. The joys of the internet. :LOL:
Perhaps Ford could make both the hardware and software upgradable in its vehicles? Though the rapid changes in the internet and hardware, we seem to be entering a new era of “planned obsolescence”.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Perhaps Ford could make both the hardware and software upgradable in its vehicles? Though the rapid changes in the internet and hardware, we seem to be entering a new era of “planned obsolescence”.
Generally speaking, if you buy a salvage APIM from a newer model you could swap it in. So, in a way it's upgradeable hardware. You'd need to re-configure it and such of course for your vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Generally speaking, if you buy a salvage APIM from a newer model you could swap it in. So, in a way it's upgradeable hardware. You'd need to re-configure it and such of course for your vehicle.
Ok. But I was thinking more along the lines of standard dimensions so that I could relatively easily upgrade to Sync 4, 5, and 6 when they come out.

·
Registered
2015 Ford Escape SE , 2.0L EcoBoost
3 Posts
Finally bit the bullet and upgraded from Sync 2(MFT) to Sync 3! Took a lot of research to find an APIM with navigation. Lucked out with an APIM w/ navigation for a little over $280 off of LKQ. Came with screen and everything is functional. Sourced my GPS antenna, USB hub, hub harness, and bracket for nearly $70. I am very pleased with the results! I had DanMc85 program the APIM for me. View attachment 75514
Finally bit the bullet and upgraded from Sync 2(MFT) to Sync 3! Took a lot of research to find an APIM with navigation. Lucked out with an APIM w/ navigation for a little over $280 off of LKQ. Came with screen and everything is functional. Sourced my GPS antenna, USB hub, hub harness, and bracket for nearly $70. I am very pleased with the results! I had DanMc85 program the APIM for me. View attachment 75514
Very clean install. I've actually been interested in doing this upgrade myself. I currently have a 2015 escape SE with sync 2. Been doing a lot of research trying to piece together information, can't seem to find a definitive guide with all the parts I need. Can you tell me what model GPS antenna you used? It appears the APIM requires a specific type of connector for the coax, I'm just having trouble figuring out what to search for to find the right one. What type of harness is required for the USB hub? This harness adapter is the only thing I could find for the USB hub, not sure if any others are required.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very clean install. I've actually been interested in doing this upgrade myself. I currently have a 2015 escape SE with sync 2. Been doing a lot of research trying to piece together information, can't seem to find a definitive guide with all the parts I need. Can you tell me what model GPS antenna you used? It appears the APIM requires a specific type of connector for the coax, I'm just having trouble figuring out what to search for to find the right one. What type of harness is required for the USB hub? This harness adapter is the only thing I could find for the USB hub, not sure if any others are required.

There’s a link to the antenna I purchased from eBay. Have had 0 issues with it and it works flawlessly. The harness required is for Gen 1. I remember when I was sourcing parts I found a lot sold on eBay that had the bezel, usb hub, hub adapter, hub mounting plate, and gps antenna but found it was cheaper to buy the parts individually. As long as the antenna connector has a Fakra connector you should be fine. Some say to get a right angle one but mine is the exact one in the listing above and I had 0 issues with installation. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2015 Ford Escape SE , 2.0L EcoBoost
3 Posts

There’s a link to the antenna I purchased from eBay. Have had 0 issues with it and it works flawlessly. The harness required is for Gen 1. I remember when I was sourcing parts I found a lot sold on eBay that had the bezel, usb hub, hub adapter, hub mounting plate, and gps antenna but found it was cheaper to buy the parts individually. As long as the antenna connector has a Fakra connector you should be fine. Some say to get a right angle one but mine is the exact one in the listing above and I had 0 issues with installation. Hope this helps!
Thank you! This was very helpful. I've found everything except the screen and APIM. Like you, I'm trying to source that from LKQ as it seems to be the cheapest option, but none of the listings show the part pulled from the vehicle, and after a call, it seems they can't tell me if I order a screen from them whether or not it will come with the APIM. So might just have to pay the higher eBay prices so I at least know what I'm getting.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When I ordered mine, it only showed I was getting the APIM but ended up having the screen included. I’ll try and look some tonight and if I find one I’ll send you a link. Took me a while to find one but eventually it worked out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts