2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD 2.0L w/towing
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, just picked up a 2022 SEL with the 2.0 and towing package and am looking to pick up a high-side utility trailer for general use.

Any thoughts on size with this vehicle?

I like the look of a 5X10 (shown below) with respect to the Escape, but a 6X10 or even 6X12 would be pretty darn useful at times. FWIW, all three are single axel 3-3500 GVWR trailers, so the Escape is capable in that way...

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2017 Escape Titanium 2.0l Ecoboost
1,249 Posts
Anything specific that you plan to put in the trailer? If so, you could determine the best size that way. With the largest option you might be tempted to put a little too much weight in it. The smaller sizes might help prevent that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anything specific that you plan to put in the trailer? If so, you could determine the best size that way. With the largest option you might be tempted to put a little too much weight in it. The smaller sizes might help prevent that.
Not really.

I routinely haul long items which are not particularly heavy and then general yard maintenance. Garden tractor, genny, welder, motorcycles etc. With a few acres, I'm always hauling debris in and out. I would also use it to clean up properties. Fewer runs to the dump is where I see the 6X12 advantage...

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I would look at the Aluma trailers. I have the 548 with 24" solid side kit and bifold tailgate. Beautiful trailers great quality. Mine is very easy to move about.
I would heartily second that vote for Aluma trailers. With the Escape 6F35 transmission not exactly being over-designed, every pound counts to keep the stress down on the transmission. Aluma trailers are super lightweight aluminum and of the highest quality I have ever found and I've owned more than my share of trailers. I love the bi-fold tailgate as well. They aren't inexpensive, but you absolutely positively DO get what you pay for with trailers.

Let us know what you decide to go with and if you tow frequently, you will need frequent transmission fluid service as towing increases heat on transmissions and heat is what kills trannys.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My first thought when I saw the picture of the trailer is that you are going to be pulling a lot of weight with the trailer empty. The Aluma trailers are lightweight, but very pricey. So, a plus and a minus. Do you need a trailer with high sides? If not, go for one of the 'landscape' trailers the will not be as heavy due to less materials used to build. I have a 6.5x12 trailer of that type, and it tows good, behind my f-150. My fear would be to overload (due to it's capable volume) and then make your Escape cry while pulling it! Also, if the trailer's gross weight is too high, many states will require trailer brakes, which will get you into more headaches. I have only just purchased my new to me 2020 Escape, so I haven't experienced the limitations yet. Had a 2010 Escape with the V6, but never towed with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ended up buying the 5X10 pictured in the OP (needed a high side) Weighs 810 empty so I have over 2500-ish left for load. Should be more than enough for anything I'll be doing. Haven't loaded it up yet, but it pulls effortlessly empty. Bouncy for sure, but easy on the 2.0

1 - 7 of 7 Posts