2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't a how-to, but since there's nothing that I could find except for small snippets here and there on the subject, he's a simple thread on installing the Velossa Tech Big Mouth intake system on a Gen 3 Escape. I installed this one in a 2013 Ford Escape with the 2.0, but unless someone corrects my, it should be similar in other Escape models and years. There are no Big Mouths made specifically for the Escape, but Focus ST and presumably RS ones fit perfectly without any modifications.

If you want a basic how-to, checkout ones for the Focus ST and RS's. All the principles are the same and you'll get a good idea what's involved: 2013-2017 Focus ST Velossa Tech Gen 3 Ram Air BIG MOUTH Intake Snorkel Install and Review

When I installed mine, I did not remove the bumper. I cut a section out of the air dam from the top to allow the Big Mouth to pass through instead of outright removing it. That saved a major step versus the video above. Also, you won't find this color, I painted the end Impact Blue to match my Escape.

·
Registered
387 Posts
If you leave the OEM filter cover on, I can see this being of some benefit but, if you run the filter box open like in the picture, there is no benefit, or its negated by the hot engine bay air getting sucked in.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like I may have to do this soon, how hard was it to snake it into place after cutting the top piece for access?
Not hard at all. It's basically just an empty cavity in there so it's extremely easy to place, and the Velossa Tech is very well built so it bolts on perfactly without any fighting.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you leave the OEM filter cover on, I can see this being of some benefit but, if you run the filter box open like in the picture, there is no benefit, or its negated by the hot engine bay air getting sucked in.
The first half of your statement is correct. To get the most benefit, you want a fully enclosed system.

However, there is much benefit to be had from blowing cold air into an open box versus just having it open with no airflow as the OEM inlet tube setup is. Not as good as enclosed but still much better.

That said, this thread is about the Velossa Tech Big Mouth and how to install it, not the merits of running an airbox open or closed. I think that subject has been hammered over the head enough.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's still a bit raggedy up close after I cut it with a dremel but I did file it a little bit to straighten it out. That said, it doesn't matter that much because it's all hidden once the hood latch panel is reinstalled. In the picture, the panel is just thrown over the engine to get it out of the way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've recently purchased a 2016 SE with the 2.0. Doing what you mentioned above with cutting out the spot of the air dam, how long would this take? It seems, generally speaking, like this would be an easy mod with a decent performance improvement. Overall, with the K&N Air Filter, how much improvement are you seeing?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It probably took me about an hour to install the Big Mouth including cutting the hole once I figured out how I wanted to do it. That said, I'd already been in that area a couple times so I had the process down pretty good and had some parts already removed.

As far as improvement, I haven't really seen or felt anything major but I already had a K&N filter installed and that's where most of the improvement will come from. At the most basic level, the Big Mouth is getting colder outside air to the filter faster than the OEM setup. This is an improvement for sure but it's also not something that is going to greatly increase performance just like driving on a 10 degree colder day doesn't turn any 4 banger into a supercar.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts