2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a new 2020 SEL, the new 8 speed transmission shifts into high at approx. 35-40mph. Then the steering wheel starts to vibrate and a low humming noise can be heard, even above the radio. We took it back to the dealer. They gave us a loaner, another 2020 SE Escape. It does the exact same thing. The Dealer said Ford said this is normal. That the vibration was from the engine. What BS!! Being a Retire Engineer from Ford, I know this is not correct! The transmission needs to be reprogrammed and has nothing to do with the engine. As this is the same 1.5L that was in our 2017 Escape SE. This was done to meet the mileage claims only. But this current setting will cause excessive transmission wear resulting in premature failure. This is not rocket science and needs to addressed ASAP with a TSP update!!

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
We bought a new 2020 SEL, the new 8 speed transmission shifts into high at approx. 35-40mph. Then the steering wheel starts to vibrate and a low humming noise can be heard, even above the radio. We took it back to the dealer. They gave us a loaner, another 2020 SE Escape. It does the exact same thing. The Dealer said Ford said this is normal. That the vibration was from the engine. What BS!! Being a Retire Engineer from Ford, I know this is not correct! The transmission needs to be reprogrammed and has nothing to do with the engine. As this is the same 1.5L that was in our 2017 Escape SE. This was done to meet the mileage claims only. But this current setting will cause excessive transmission wear resulting in premature failure. This is not rocket science and needs to addressed ASAP with a TSP update!!
I had thought Ford changed the 1.5 engine to the three cylinder this year?

·
Registered
828 Posts
All later model Escapes do this to a degree when accelerating in the highest gear from a relatively low speed in order to to retain that gear as a fuel saving measure I suppose. The six speed trannie is the same.

I agree that the top gear is too high and some Escapes do not easily drop a gear when required in normal auto mode, however mine drops down a gear if I push the accelerator, however I normally drive in Sport mode where the trannie tends to stay in the lower gears in these situations.

I doubt there is an update to correct this but you should not be getting noticeable steering wheel shudder in my view so this needs to be addressed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All later model Escapes do this to a degree when accelerating in the highest gear from a relatively low speed in order to to retain that gear as a fuel saving measure I suppose. The six speed trannie is the same.

I agree that the top gear is too high and some Escapes do not easily drop a gear when required in normal auto mode, however mine drops down a gear if I push the accelerator, however I normally drive in Sport mode where the trannie tends to stay in the lower gears in these situations.
Well our 2017 did not do this and neither does my daughters 2019 6 speed transmission. Not in the least!!!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Well our 2017 did not do this and neither does my daughters 2019 6 speed transmission. Not in the least!!!
It all depends on how bad the vibration you speak of is, and it appears that in your case from what you are saying comparing it to your previous car and your daughter's car then there is a problem.
The fact that your loan car did the same is a worry and obviously this indicates they are all like this and it bears investigation re a software issue across the board.
It would be interesting to hear from other 2020 SEL owners here to see if they are experiencing the same.

My 2017 gives a slight vibration under load at low speed in the highest gear (6th) in normal auto mode and this has been mentioned here by others many times before, but there is no steering vibration or 'humming' as such.

Edit: http://www.trucktrend.com/truck-reviews/1909-first-drive-2020-ford-escape/

Scroll down to the complaints about the 1.5 version engine (under photo 6/10) which discusses what you are talking about and possible future fixes which have obviously not been done yet.
Perhaps you could use this as ammunition against Ford. :mad:

Other google searches indicate that this vibration and noise is inherent in the 3 cylinder model which,of course, is not good enough.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It all depends on how bad the vibration you speak of is, and it appears that in your case from what you are saying comparing it to your previous car and your daughter's car then there is a problem.
The fact that your loan car did the same is a worry and obviously this indicates they are all like this and it bears investigation re a software issue across the board.
It would be interesting to hear from other 2020 SEL owners here to see if they are experiencing the same.

My 2017 gives a slight vibration under load at low speed in the highest gear (6th) in normal auto mode and this has been mentioned here by others many times before, but there is no steering vibration or 'humming' as such.

Edit: http://www.trucktrend.com/truck-reviews/1909-first-drive-2020-ford-escape/

Scroll down to the complaints about the 1.5 version engine (under photo 6/10) which discusses what you are talking about and possible future fixes which have obviously not been done yet.
Perhaps you could use this as ammunition against Ford. :mad:

Other google searches indicate that this vibration and noise is inherent in the 3 cylinder model which,of course, is not good enough.
Thanks, I hear you about the engine. Yes this new 3L is very noisy. Very surprised that Ford did not use better sound deadening material. Another huge mistake!! We are considering getting rid of this 2020 if they can't fi these issues very soon.

·
Registered
195 Posts
After reading the Truck trend review my question would be have you tried operating in the "Sport mode"?? their feeling was that The problem was much alleviated in the "Sport mode" .

·
Registered
16 Posts
When vehicle is running on 2 cylinders, there seem to be some vibration. Just like others suggested, try using sport mode. Maybe that will put the engine on 3 cylinders, see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
2,250 Posts
the new 8 speed transmission shifts into high at approx. 35-40mph.
So it shifts into the highest gear at those speeds? I'm guessing 8th is geared higher than 6th in the old 6F35- so the engine would be at really low RPM- possibly less than 1400RPM?

Definitely try S out- if it's like the 6F35 it will change up to the highest gear at a speed around 5-10km/h higher. eg. mine will stay in fifth instead of lugging 6th at 60km/h.

It's a 3 cylinder engine, so it's unlikely to be as smooth as the 4 cylinder. If it's shutting down to only 2 cylinders (to save fuel) then that's probably going to make it even worse.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Just received the Feb. Consumer Reports , and they say the same thing you are saying with the 3 cylinder engine...vibrates and noisy...Why they made this one is beyond reason..They love the 2.0. and the Corsair with the same platform as the Escape... Since its common on all 3 cyl.., they have to come up with a fix...Maybe it just something like bad or poorly designed engine mounts...and not the engine internals..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Two reasons. Fuel economy and price. This thing is cheaper to make and makes decent mpg. I don't know why they can't learn from Toyota on how to make efficient 4 cylinder. No matter what they do, 3 cylinders are unbalanced. That's physics.

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
i have the 2020 Titanium with the 2.0 liter ecoboost. I get 27 mpg, and it's smooth as butta...::)
Yes. I think we may be seeing the beginnings of why 3 cylinder in balanced engines may not be a grand idea. Not to mention the “open deck” design.

·
Super Moderator
730 Posts
My Escape has 4 cylinders, but I had two 3 cylinder Ford 1 litre engines for several years. The engines were great in terms of economy and were probably as good as most other engines out there, and better than many, but with 3 cylinders there was definitely the balance issue that was quite noticeable during our winters with very cold temperatures.

After having these two engines, I wouldn't purchase a larger 3 cylinder engine. I would consider the 1 litre turbo charged again if I were looking at a vehicle that came with it as an option and if I lived somewhere that had mild winters. I just don't think they're a good idea where it gets real cold.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm old, so I'm a V8 man through and through. My first non V8 was the 2.3 in the 06 Escape Hybrid, Although very under-powered I can say it was a very smooth engine. At times you had to look at the tachometer to see if it was running. With the failing Traction battery the fuel economy was also very lackluster to say the least. My 2013 with the 2.0 is very smooth has all the power needed for that type car, and is getting good mileage for my local driving. I must say I am impressed. Now I don't have to make a plan to enter a highway!!!

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
My Escape has 4 cylinders, but I had two 3 cylinder Ford 1 litre engines for several years. The engines were great in terms of economy and were probably as good as most other engines out there, and better than many, but with 3 cylinders there was definitely the balance issue that was quite noticeable during our winters with very cold temperatures.

After having these two engines, I wouldn't purchase a larger 3 cylinder engine. I would consider the 1 litre turbo charged again if I were looking at a vehicle that came with it as an option and if I lived somewhere that had mild winters. I just don't think they're a good idea where it gets real cold.
Just curious. How does cold weather affect your opinion? Is the conclusion that it is ok for warm weather?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Makes you wonder what the hell are these engineers thinking when they come up with these ideas...Instead of just improving on existing proven technology..Autonomous driving is another wasted resource of time and money on something that can never be perfected because of the many variables involved in driving vehicles..

·
Super Moderator
2,250 Posts
Engine vibration is a relative thing. I took a 2.0l EcoBoost Kuga for a test drive and was shocked at the amount of vibration though the pedals and steering wheel. Now it's all I drive it seems perfectly normal.

I had a Daihatsu 1l 3cylinder turbo engine many years ago. It was an awesome engine- it revved out to 7500RPM and made 100kW at the wheels. A lot of fun in a vehicle that weighed only 630kg.

·
Super Moderator
730 Posts
Just curious. How does cold weather affect your opinion? Is the conclusion that it is ok for warm weather?
My conclusion is that they did very well in warm weather, say above freezing. At minus 30 or 40 Deg F you could hear and somewhat feel the unbalance as the engine would throw itself about. There was no evidence of harm done at the end of the 5 or 6 years that I had these engines in Alaska, but when operating them in the very cold temps, I always felt like I was torturing the engine and mounts.

The 1 litre was a very small engine. Add weight and I imagine what I experienced and considered negative would only amplify.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I currently have a 2020 SEL with the 3 cylinder as a loaner while my 2013 Titanium with a 2.0 is having some work done.

That 3 cylinder is a noisy little engine. It does lug in high gear when in "normal" or "Eco" modes. I tend to keep it in Sport mode, seems to want to kick down easier and faster when needed, and doesn't go to a high gear unless needed. I like the 2020, but would get it with the 2.0 EcoBoost 4 cylinder for a number of reasons.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts