2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

2014 SE 1.6t here with 110k. Recently my car has begun vibrating under power at highway speeds. As soon as I let of the accelerator the shaking stops. when it first started it felt similar to a wheel out of balance, but after rotation it continued, and now it has gotten progressively more violent. I have recently replaced the drivers side CV axle which did not solve it, passenger side CV axle seems fine. I took it to the shop for an oil change and to get the coolant level sensor installed and it seemed to be better for a week after being in the shop, but has since started occurring again. Also only seems to happen after driving for 10+ minutes. Has anyone else experienced this? Has anyone else experienced something similar? My next thought would be motor or trans mounts, as it sometimes feels rough when shifting between park, reverse, and gas. If not than I suspect an issue with the transaxle. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,341 Posts
Notice in your other post that this is an AWD Escape. Just mentioning here as that may bear on replies from others offering substantive comment (not me).

Good luck finding the problem.

·
Registered
875 Posts
My two cents... I had engine mounts damaged, noisy driveshaft. All replaced along with PTO... Nevertheless no vibration whatsoever. Not saying it can't happen but that my experience.

Enviado desde mi SM-A520F mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
J2fitzy, did you solve your problem? I have the exact same issue on my 2014 AWD Escape. No issue at low speed/gear acceleration. Only vibration in engine/front area at highway speed under acceleration or uphill load. Goes away under no load.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have you replaced the TPU (transfer case) fluid ever? Can you provide any more details on frequency of the vibration?

·
Registered
14 Posts
2013 Escape SEL vibrations when applying gas

I have been having this same issue for the past 4 months and my current mechanic doesn't seem to know the cause of the issue. No vibration when coasting, just when applying gas. Vibration has varying levels. Sometimes minor, sometimes very severe. I've had it vibrate severely, then release the gas to smooth the ride out, then apply gas again and the vibration is minimal. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Half Shafts!!!
I just thought of this!
Rack and pinion steering!!
Inner and outer tie rods may be bad!
Jack up car one side at a time and pull on the tire back and forth with both hands on tire! one hand on front of tire and the other on the back of the tire
If you get any movement or play as we call it your tie rods need to be Replaced!!!!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Half Shafts!!!
I just thought of this!
Rack and pinion steering!!
Inner and outer tie rods may be bad!
Jack up car one side at a time and pull on the tire back and forth with both hands on tire! one hand on front of tire and the other on the back of the tire
If you get any movement or play as we call it your tie rods need to be Replaced!!!!!
wave runner, I think you've used up your April supply of exclamation points.>:D
My '09 Mariner has done it since new; worse at times smooth at other times, Same with the awd Flex we used to have. My Escape so far hasn't at 3600mi, but I just figure it's a Ford thing. It's unpredictable, I can't make it deliberately do it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
2014 Escape 2.0 AWD (56k miles)

This exact same issue started for me last week too.

Here is what i've noticed:

1. It's intermittent, it does not happen consistently (yet).
2. It's a slight judder that can be felt in the steering wheel and under my feet.
3. It gets worse when accelerating or maintaining speed from 50mph+.
4. The sensation/noise goes away completely and instantly as soon as you take your foot off the throttle and let it coast.
5. If you apply throttle again, even gently, the vibration comes back. Take your foot back off the gas...it goes away.

In the Fall of 2018 I had a SEVERE vibration through the whole car that occurred whether you was on the gas or not. It turned out to be a tire that had gone out of true circle. There was also wear and tear of the rotors and shocks, so I had them replaced by my local Ford dealership. I have had no noises or vibration since that time.
The symptoms are different this time around though.

I've got the car booked in to be looked at by Ford tomorrow, and i'll report back with findings. As it's intermittent though I won't be holding my breath.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Possibly solved.

Ok folks, so Ford just called me after doing a road test and an inspection; They found a worn motor mount that needs to be replaced.

They don't have the part and will be ordering it in for replacement on Saturday.
Once the work is done and I put a few dozen test miles under the belt I'll report back with either success or back to the drawing board.

I've got to say that i'm a bit disappointed.

The car only has 56k miles on it, it's always maintained and serviced by Ford in accordance with the maintenance schedule, but yet i've had to have more remedial work done on it than any other car that i've ever owned that's been under 100k.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nope, did not fix the issue.

Ford called me on Saturday after they replaced the worn motor mount, and they admitted that it did not solve the vibration.
They now think that the issue is in the axle, and they are waiting for the right parts to be delivered so they can try that.
Happily i'm not being charged for the axle work.
When this latest round of work is done i'll report back with either a success story or whatever the next step is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Since the engine mount didn't solve the vibration, Ford has now swapped out one of the front drive shafts under warranty.

I only the car back yesterday so I haven't had it on the highway yet to test out. However, on a long clear back road on the way to work this morning i'm pretty sure I felt the vibration start to begin as my speed slowly increased, but I didn't want to be going to quick on such a road, so I backed off.
I'll get on the highway later this evening and give it a test. if the vibration is still there Ford will be getting the car back to check over again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So the engine mount and cv shaft solved nothing, and vibration on load is still there.
Here are the symptoms as best as I can tell;
1. The judder sensation is felt in the steering wheel and gas pedal.
2. It starts when gently accelerating beyond 50mph and fades away at around 80mph.
3. The vibration is present between those speeds if gently acceleration or holding speed.
4. At around 65mph a barely audible low-pitch "thrumthrumthrum" pulsing sound starts.
5. All symptoms seem to get slightly worse if the highway is curving to the right.
6. If you're accelerating hard, the symptoms do not appear to happen.
7. The vibration and pulsing sound disappear immediately if you lift off the gas pedal, every time.

It's going back to Ford for more tests tomorrow, but this is getting old. I'm not entirely convinced that it's truly safe on the highway right now, and I'm not letting my wife drive it at all.

I've seen this very same topic appear a few times when I'm searching online but I'm not seeing any consistent resolution.
If you've had this same issue and did get it resolved, please let me know so I can pass the information to the dealership.
Thank you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
$5 it's a differential bearing inside the transmission
They still have the car, and they're replacing the other cv shaft. Their thought is that their previous decision to replace only one of the shafts was a bad one, and they should have done both.
I should be getting the car back between now and the end of the week, and i'll do a couple of days of testing afterwards.

If the issues is still there I will pass along your suggestion to them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same thing on my 2016 AWD 1.6 Escape. Mine started around 55,000 miles and I took in it and they couldn't find anything. I drove till I had 100 miles till the power train warranty was to expire. I took it back in and told them I didn't want it back till the fixes it. It was shaking worse at that point, almost undrivable. They figured it out then. Th rear motor mount was broken, a transmission mount was broken and a bad half shaft. They replaced it all under warranty and gave me a 2018 F150 4 x 4 to drive while they fixed it and its been great every since. I've got 75,000 now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem in the past.

I replaced this parts in this order:
1. Front struts
2. Rotate tires and balace
3. Lower control arm (both)
4. Front links (both)
5. Bushings of the bar front stabilizer

Problem continued. Then I replaced both axle assembly and the problem gone.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts