2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have this exact issue with my 2018 Escape with 48k mileage. It started 3 weeks ago & if course the local Ford mechanics have no idea what this problem is.

I have always found that it is no problem finding others with your sane problem on the internet, but rarely if ever do you get a real solution. Mostly just a lot of wasted time

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you are talking about a vibration that starts after the car sits for 8 hours or so and goes away in a couple mile of driving, you are talking about a tire vibration. A lot of the newer tires have gone back to some nylon cords in the tires, these flat spot while sitting. It is more noticeable in low profile tires. No amount of balance or anything else will fix the issue. Just the nature of the tires. I notice it in both of my vehicles he Escape is more noticeable than my truck do to the lighter wight on each tire of the escape. They both are fine within a mile or two of driving, the truck only takes about a half mile but weights well over 5,000 pound. Both have 45 series tires, 235/45/19 Escape 295/45/20 on the truck.

Reactions: Built1.6

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have this exact issue with my 2018 Escape with 48k mileage. It started 3 weeks ago & if course the local Ford mechanics have no idea what this problem is.

I have always found that it is no problem finding others with your sane problem on the internet, but rarely if ever do you get a real solution. Mostly just a lot of wasted time
On the other hand if it is a vibration that came on all of a sudden, I would be looking for a bent wheel or passably a tire with a ply separation. You could have a bad CV joint but that is not a common problem at such low mileage. The best way to eliminate tires is to swap tires and wheels from a known good vehicle, if you know someone with a similar Escape that maybe the easiest. Careful inspection of the tire and wheel assembly on a spin balancer can detect bent wheels. Usually on the inside of the wheel will cause more issues.

·
Registered
167 Posts
On the other hand if it is a vibration that came on all of a sudden, I would be looking for a bent wheel or passably a tire with a ply separation. You could have a bad CV joint but that is not a common problem at such low mileage. The best way to eliminate tires is to swap tires and wheels from a known good vehicle, if you know someone with a similar Escape that maybe the easiest. Careful inspection of the tire and wheel assembly on a spin balancer can detect bent wheels. Usually on the inside of the wheel will cause more issues.
If the vibration is only in one area, you could swap the tire with one in the other quadrant of the car to see if the vibration follows that particular tire.

·
Registered
1 Posts
They still have the car, and they're replacing the other cv shaft. Their thought is that their previous decision to replace only one of the shafts was a bad one, and they should have done both.
I should be getting the car back between now and the end of the week, and i'll do a couple of days of testing afterwards.

If the issues is still there I will pass along your suggestion to them.
Did you figure out for sure what the problem was? I’m having the same issue on mine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just started having the same issue. Got home after vacation and got on the highway and I thought my tire was going to fall off. I just ordered both CV axles and replacing them tomorrow. I hope it solves the problem!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just started having the same issue. Got home after vacation and got on the highway and I thought my tire was going to fall off. I just ordered both CV axles and replacing them tomorrow. I hope it solves the problem!
I would think it could be a flat spot in the tires like mentioned above. Mine vibes a little in the morning but smoothes out soon after. I was thinking worn shocks but the tires could be it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got new tires. It’s been 6 days since I’ve been back and driving my car. Feels like my front tires are shaking when I’m going 55 and up but stops when I let off the gas. Feels like my tire is going to fall off. The tires are balanced, the rims are okay, the tires are good, I had an alignment done a couple months ago and my control arms were replaced as well. I checked my tie rods and motor mounts and they seem to be great. So I’m kind of out of ideas. Hoping this works.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I would check the lug nuts to make sure they were properly tightened, You may have a wheel coming loose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So the engine mount and cv shaft solved nothing, and vibration on load is still there.
Here are the symptoms as best as I can tell;
1. The judder sensation is felt in the steering wheel and gas pedal.
2. It starts when gently accelerating beyond 50mph and fades away at around 80mph.
3. The vibration is present between those speeds if gently acceleration or holding speed.
4. At around 65mph a barely audible low-pitch "thrumthrumthrum" pulsing sound starts.
5. All symptoms seem to get slightly worse if the highway is curving to the right.
6. If you're accelerating hard, the symptoms do not appear to happen.
7. The vibration and pulsing sound disappear immediately if you lift off the gas pedal, every time.

It's going back to Ford for more tests tomorrow, but this is getting old. I'm not entirely convinced that it's truly safe on the highway right now, and I'm not letting my wife drive it at all.

I've seen this very same topic appear a few times when I'm searching online but I'm not seeing any consistent resolution.
If you've had this same issue and did get it resolved, please let me know so I can pass the information to the dealership.
Thank you.
I have same issue, don't know what to do?

·
Registered
2 Posts
So the engine mount and cv shaft solved nothing, and vibration on load is still there.
Here are the symptoms as best as I can tell;
1. The judder sensation is felt in the steering wheel and gas pedal.
2. It starts when gently accelerating beyond 50mph and fades away at around 80mph.
3. The vibration is present between those speeds if gently acceleration or holding speed.
4. At around 65mph a barely audible low-pitch "thrumthrumthrum" pulsing sound starts.
5. All symptoms seem to get slightly worse if the highway is curving to the right.
6. If you're accelerating hard, the symptoms do not appear to happen.
7. The vibration and pulsing sound disappear immediately if you lift off the gas pedal, every time.

It's going back to Ford for more tests tomorrow, but this is getting old. I'm not entirely convinced that it's truly safe on the highway right now, and I'm not letting my wife drive it at all.

I've seen this very same topic appear a few times when I'm searching online but I'm not seeing any consistent resolution.
If you've had this same issue and did get it resolved, please let me know so I can pass the information to the dealership.
Thank you.
Can you please let ne know if it is fixed now

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all,

Around 100k miles was having some surging problems, which, as it got worse, started to include car randomly shuttering at highway speeds.

Check out this thread.
PROBLEMS SOLVED: CHANGED THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID.

Fluid change fixed the shuttering and uphill surging problems. Problems started around 99k miles, and I got it resolved at 108k miles. I noticed some posters on this thread said they were around 100k miles. Since the manual doesn't call for doing ATF change until 150k, most people probably won't try this as a fix, but its easy and cheap, so it couldn't hurt. And if you are doing certain activities like going on dirt roads or towing, I think the manual calls for ATF change every 30k miles, so some people may be way OVERDUE for the change and just not notice unless they checked the fine print in the owners manual.
My 2015 Ford Escape 2.0l AWD had a shuddering issue when driving up slight hills or accelerating when the RPMs were around 1500-1800 at various speeds. Shuddering started around 92k miles and we got it resolved finally at 112k.
Had the front right and left half shafts (CV shafts) replaced, and the shuddering still existed.
Next had the motor and transmission mounts replaced which were a little worn out. That helped soften the shuddering feeling just a bit, but still had the issue.
Next we replaced the spark plugs thinking it may be an engine misfire. That did not resolve the problem.
Found on this thread that you had a transmission flush done on your car, so I thought why not try that. The dealer we went to said that could not be causing the issue, but I said we wanted a transmission fluid change anyways.
That tranny flush fixed our shuddering problem!!
Just wanted to share that since that didn’t seem reasonable to be causing the issue, but it was the issue for our 2015 Ford Escape.

·
Registered
243 Posts
You may have had the torque converter shudder that some people have experienced. Changing the fluid sometimes helps with that problem. You may want to change it again in a short amount of time, do to the fact that changing the fluid only actually replaces about a third of the entire transmission fill do to the fact that the remaining fluid is in the converter. It will mix new and old and dilute the new fluid, if you catch my drift. Good information though, Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Escape2015MN

·
Registered
1 Posts
They still have the car, and they're replacing the other cv shaft. Their thought is that their previous decision to replace only one of the shafts was a bad one, and they should have done both.
I should be getting the car back between now and the end of the week, and i'll do a couple of days of testing afterwards.

If the issues is still there I will pass along your suggestion to them.
Hi Daveyj27,
is your Escape all good. Did the vibration stopped? my 2013 is doing same and I would love to get to the problem.
thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

2014 SE 1.6t here with 110k. Recently my car has begun vibrating under power at highway speeds. As soon as I let of the accelerator the shaking stops. when it first started it felt similar to a wheel out of balance, but after rotation it continued, and now it has gotten progressively more violent. I have recently replaced the drivers side CV axle which did not solve it, passenger side CV axle seems fine. I took it to the shop for an oil change and to get the coolant level sensor installed and it seemed to be better for a week after being in the shop, but has since started occurring again. Also only seems to happen after driving for 10+ minutes. Has anyone else experienced this? Has anyone else experienced something similar? My next thought would be motor or trans mounts, as it sometimes feels rough when shifting between park, reverse, and gas. If not than I suspect an issue with the transaxle. Any help appreciated.
Hi all,

2014 SE 1.6t here with 110k. Recently my car has begun vibrating under power at highway speeds. As soon as I let of the accelerator the shaking stops. when it first started it felt similar to a wheel out of balance, but after rotation it continued, and now it has gotten progressively more violent. I have recently replaced the drivers side CV axle which did not solve it, passenger side CV axle seems fine. I took it to the shop for an oil change and to get the coolant level sensor installed and it seemed to be better for a week after being in the shop, but has since started occurring again. Also only seems to happen after driving for 10+ minutes. Has anyone else experienced this? Has anyone else experienced something similar? My next thought would be motor or trans mounts, as it sometimes feels rough when shifting between park, reverse, and gas. If not than I suspect an issue with the transaxle. Any help appreciated.
Seen everything everyone said same problems 2017 64000 mi ford escape titanium 4wl dr. Vibration tires good,proper air pressure.Just starting diagnostic.Sounds like dynamic balance changing shafts engine mounts they probably should recall.with fix.Could be as simple as spacers or balancing out put shafts which would wear internal bearings.Car Dealer auto auction bought Ford sitting in front of me for sale.Sounds like fun huh!Driving Chevy Silverado with tool box in back to figure it out.Or just thankful iam driving my Chevy.Mechanic trying to figure it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have driven some good fords in the past.Would be nice if they started building Ford again,instead of trying to land moon mission with my truck or car.Door handles broke off 10 below car running locked up.Indiana cold,freeze,rain,heat,tornado was my car insured.Just seems like it's always something.My Crown Victoria did pretty good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would check the lug nuts to make sure they were properly tightened, You may have a wheel coming loose.
I did end up replacing both cv axles back in April. It did solve the problem but my passenger cv axle is going bad again so it’s just making popping noise over bumps and during turns.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts