2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
2013 Escape SEL vibrations when applying gas

I have been having this same issue for the past 4 months and my current mechanic doesn't seem to know the cause of the issue. No vibration when coasting, just when applying gas. Vibration has varying levels. Sometimes minor, sometimes very severe. I've had it vibrate severely, then release the gas to smooth the ride out, then apply gas again and the vibration is minimal. Any thoughts?
I’m having this issue now on a 2013 SE Escape. I took it in and they look at me like I have 3 heads. I told them it wasn’t my wheels, went ahead and realigned still shakes. I put my cell phone in my cup holder and pressed record and coasted and accelerated a few times so they could understand. Hopefully when I go in for my appointment they can figure something out /

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’m having this issue now on a 2013 SE Escape. I took it in and they look at me like I have 3 heads. I told them it wasn’t my wheels, went ahead and realigned still shakes. I put my cell phone in my cup holder and pressed record and coasted and accelerated a few times so they could understand. Hopefully when I go in for my appointment they can figure something out /

100% just ask for a trans flush. Locally it was 310$ with tax and it fixed my issue with no problem. Got that done in Sept. with 189k km on it now have 227k km on it and still have not come back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,

2014 SE 1.6t here with 110k. Recently my car has begun vibrating under power at highway speeds. As soon as I let of the accelerator the shaking stops. when it first started it felt similar to a wheel out of balance, but after rotation it continued, and now it has gotten progressively more violent. I have recently replaced the drivers side CV axle which did not solve it, passenger side CV axle seems fine. I took it to the shop for an oil change and to get the coolant level sensor installed and it seemed to be better for a week after being in the shop, but has since started occurring again. Also only seems to happen after driving for 10+ minutes. Has anyone else experienced this? Has anyone else experienced something similar? My next thought would be motor or trans mounts, as it sometimes feels rough when shifting between park, reverse, and gas. If not than I suspect an issue with the transaxle. Any help appreciated.
This is exactly the problem everyone is experiencing, me included..
What is strange here, is the broadness of the problem and the accompanying lack of a solution that works. Ford must have figured this out long ago.
If they haven’t , they can use my vehicle to experiment on, so we get answers.
I don’t want to pay for a problem so widespread to be looked at as if for the first time.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I recently had this issue and techron fuel treatment seems to be helping. Other symptoms are shaking engine at idle. Could be carbon deposits and dirty fuel injectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Going back through this thread changing the transmission fluid seems to have solved the problem in many cases..

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have this issue too! 2015 2.0 awd. Noticed around 62k, now at 63k.
Same thing, seems like 30 mph & 3rd gear and higher it shakes/vibrates from center of car below my seat going up hills and when lightly giving gas to cruise on highways 50+.

I'm thinking u joints, these symptoms and the fact it's only under load... My dad and mechanic agree and I'm a mechanically included DIYer as well. I can say that you should get you transmission and PTU fluid flushed asap if never done before, and do sooner than Ford's intervals!

Anyway, I will update this when I get my issue resolved since it seems no one else did :(.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

got a vibration problem with my 2014 Ford Escape AWD with 91,000km/56,000miles down.

The vibration is coming from the rear end.
It's only happening after starting to drive and goes away after 1-2 miles.
Now that's getting colder (up in here in Canada) the vibration is worse than in summer.
The vibration doesn't come back till the car is parked for longer time .e.g. overnight.
Tires are new and balanced but the vibration was there before old and after new tires.

The dealer is useless they said/done everything from dirty rims, unbalanced tires, damage rim -they just didn't listen to the fact it goes away after a few miles.

I'm not an expert but could it have something to do with the rear diff fluid?

Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be? - don't want to take it to another shop and listen to stupid comments.
Rear diff or do you have low profile tires? Sometimes they get flat spots overnight and the tires are stiff and take 5 miles to warm up. My 2015 titanium has the upgraded 19" wheels and I love the look but the first couple miles when it's cold can be bumpy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Can confirm on transmission flush resolving issue. Vehicle has 125,000. Started experiencing shudder around 120,000. Trans fluid was absolutely dirty.
My 2015 Ford Escape 2.0l AWD had a shuddering issue when driving up slight hills or accelerating when the RPMs were around 1500-1800 at various speeds. Shuddering started around 92k miles and we got it resolved finally at 112k.
. . . .
That tranny flush fixed our shuddering problem!!
Just wanted to share that since that didn’t seem reasonable to be causing the issue, but it was the issue for our 2015 Ford Escape.
Had the same issue. Got a trans service. It is now gone.
THANKS FOR SHARING EVERYONE!

I'm thrilled that so many people have found the transmission fluid changes has fixed the problem. I'll repost the original thread below for people who stumble onto this in the future.

There's other solutions on this thread that have been solved with mechanical repairs, versus fluid changes. And "vibrations" is such a vague symptom.

The biggest differentiation on this problem versus other "vibration" problems is this one has the surging on uphill climbs, which later, as it gets worse, and more frequent, does progress into a vibration, or what I think would be better described as a momentary SHUTTERING.

If you have a continuous vibration, or some sort of vibration happening at slow speeds or at idle, or grinding or popping noises, then it is probably not the transmission fluid. However, if you are repeatedly taking it to the shop, and you are past 100,000 miles, it couldn't hurt to have the transmission fluid drained and filled. Ford recommends 150,000 mile interval, but 30,000 if you are towing or offroad at all.

Chucksbp brought up a good point. Nuance!

You may have had the torque converter shudder that some people have experienced. Changing the fluid sometimes helps with that problem. You may want to change it again in a short amount of time, do to the fact that changing the fluid only actually replaces about a third of the entire transmission fill do to the fact that the remaining fluid is in the converter. It will mix new and old and dilute the new fluid, if you catch my drift. Good information though, Thanks for sharing.
You only get about 1/2 the fluid out on a drain and fill. So that's why I did it twice, even though the first time seemed to resolve the problem. By doing it a 2nd time shortly thereafter, you've replaced about 75% of the old fluid. 1st drain and fill replaces 50%, and the 2nd one replaces another 50% (but half of that 2nd 50% is old and half is new), so total you only end up replacing about 75% total after two drain/fills.

FYI, just crossed 156,000 miles on my Ford Escape, and the surging and vibration has NOT returned. I'm not driving off road as much the last 6 months, so may not need another transmission fluid change until 200,000ish miles, or if the surging returns.

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
So the engine mount and cv shaft solved nothing, and vibration on load is still there.
Here are the symptoms as best as I can tell;
1. The judder sensation is felt in the steering wheel and gas pedal.
2. It starts when gently accelerating beyond 50mph and fades away at around 80mph.
3. The vibration is present between those speeds if gently acceleration or holding speed.
4. At around 65mph a barely audible low-pitch "thrumthrumthrum" pulsing sound starts.
5. All symptoms seem to get slightly worse if the highway is curving to the right.
6. If you're accelerating hard, the symptoms do not appear to happen.
7. The vibration and pulsing sound disappear immediately if you lift off the gas pedal, every time.

It's going back to Ford for more tests tomorrow, but this is getting old. I'm not entirely convinced that it's truly safe on the highway right now, and I'm not letting my wife drive it at all.

I've seen this very same topic appear a few times when I'm searching online but I'm not seeing any consistent resolution.
If you've had this same issue and did get it resolved, please let me know so I can pass the information to the dealership.
Thank you.
It for certain, is the torque converter, and the shaking is a combination of the TC and the damage that causes to your CV joints. It is a tranny rebuild, to dolve

·
Registered
1 Posts
They still have the car, and they're replacing the other cv shaft. Their thought is that their previous decision to replace only one of the shafts was a bad one, and they should have done both.
I should be getting the car back between now and the end of the week, and i'll do a couple of days of testing afterwards.

If the issues is still there I will pass along your suggestion to them.
Did you ever get the problem fixed? Mines doing it also the exact way your saying yours did.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts