2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,017 Posts
. If you drop the clutch at anything above 2500 RPM....SPIN.
The joys of a FWD vehicle. Even relatively low powered FWD's suck on normal roads for traction. Especially on uneven surfaces, white painted lines, turning at intersections, in the wet etc.

Drag strips are totally different- you can get some amazing levels of traction. That's where all the fast times are recorded.

I've had a few powerful FWD vehicles over the years, but now I'm more fussy and place AWD high on my "must have" list.

Reactions: WhiteGhost

·
Registered
110 Posts
What kinda HP you think your tune has given you?
All the stock US STs ('13-'18) have the Spanish made single scroll. Stock is 252 HP on 93, 249 on 91, 243 on 87.
The ST has an oil temp gauge. The coolant temp gets to normal within 2-3 miles.....but the oil temp takes a good 10-15 minutes. Best not to give these engines all the beans till that oil warms up.

·
Registered
2017,Ford,Escape,2.0L
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yes I always make sure my cars are up to temp. Before pushing. Power I have no idea but she is quick for a small suv.😏

·
Registered
110 Posts
There are some VERY knowledgeable people over on the ST Forum. I'm starting to think mine might be the only ST that hasn't been modified. I think the STs (all sticks) might be more prone to LSPI ...as there is a greater chance some goober might try to hit boost in 5th or 6th without downshifting first....whereas an automatic downshifts ..automatically. Lots of blown engines over there...almost always modified. Of course, the average ST owner probably drives a little more aggressive than the average Escape owner.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Focus ST's are definitely not "dig" cars, but are awesome "roll" cars. Your AWD, auto-ish trans, likely cold temp-related traction problems, and your tune make a dig run against an ST a pretty big "ask" of the ST driver. Our '18 Ti AWD with cat-back and filter is pretty quick off the line, but my Stage 2 (soon to be Stage 3) ST is a weapon once rolling, and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more fun. Real ST drivers know enough to pick their battles.

Reactions: Chris L.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a 2013 Focus ST and liked it a lot. Never had a hint of trouble with it and it was tuned, via Cobb.

The 2.0L 2017 Escape has a different engine, and even with the auto trans, it could pull on the Focus for sure. I suspect that it's rated power is a bit under-rated, which is consistent with some other Ford engines. It feels stronger to me, anyway, and I like it. Also getting better mpg with the Escape.

But the ST would dust it on a road course or canyon road. The higher weight and CG of the Escape dooms it in the curves.

--Kevin

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
The lower gearing in the Escape helps a lot in outright acceleration compared to some sedans with similar engines.
They obviously cannot compete in handling and top speed of course.

Reactions: kwsmithphoto
21 - 27 of 27 Posts