2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
We have been happy owners of a Ford Flex for many years and are soon to upgrade / downsize to an Escape, hopefully 2016-2018 or so. I've learned a lot from the Flex forum so thought I'd get a head start on the Escape forum. We live in an area with a fair bit of snow in winter so are thinking of AWD or 4x4. What do I need to know before buying? Is AWD worth the extra gas bill? Any years to avoid? Or any must haves to add to our non-negotiable list? Heated seats for sure, but I understand those are standard now.

I welcome your advice and thoughts!
Thanks in advance,
Chaplain143

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Suggest a 2L with AWD. Difference in gas consumption is negligible compared to the smaller motor which tends to be not as reliable according to forums here. You may have to get the higher spec Titanium for the heated seats.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
I think you're going the right direction looking for a later generation third generation Escape. They were one of the top sellers during those years for a reason. As suggested a must if the 2.0 liter engine. The gas mileage is okay but nothing spectacular. Between 70% town/30% highway driving I'm averaging 25-26 MPG.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with previous posts that 2.0 is the right engine. Don't we deserve to have a little fun behind the wheel? The other thing is that you don't have to spend a ton to get some great features. My 2017 SE 2.0 is almost a Titanium in SE clothing. It's got the leather, 10 way passenger seat, 9 speaker stereo along with blind side and rear cross traffic. These upgrades make this car a great value. Finally, I should mention that, while very cool, the pano sunroof limits the roof load to about 50 lbs. Even without, it's only around 100 lbs so no roof tent for me...darnit!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bought mine without doing a ton of homework and got lucky. The 2 things that seem to be real deal breakers are the 2.0l and AWD. Get them both.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Awesome thoughts so far - thanks and let me know of anything else you think of!
The 2.0 liter is available only with the Titanium model for 2018-19. Most 2017 & older 2.0's are Titaniums, but you might find an SE with it. Heated seats are std on Titaniums, optional on SE's & SEL's, but most have them. The 4WD seamlessly engages/disengages and real world milage penalty is negligible. The 2.5L non-turbo is stone reliable, but only available with FWD, and generally found in the base models (no heated seats). Look for paint flaking on the windshield pillars- especially with the bright blues and some darker greys.

I'm a big believer in extended warranties. 6-and 8-speed transmissions, turbocharging, high pressure fuel injection and multiple electronic processors operating in a harsh environment are all very expensive repairs. In fact, it is a growing reason why newer vehicles are totaled even with relatively minor collision damage; repairing/replacing the electronics drives the cost of repair beyond what the vehicle is worth.

Reactions: bigbirchlake

·
Registered
60 Posts
In Canada the packages are different. The 2017 SE's are available with the 2.0 and for the 2018 and 19's the SEL can have the 2.0. All SE's and above in Canada come with heated seats as standard. I have both a 2013 and 2017 Escape SE with the 2.0 engine. Very happy with both, the 2017 has 119500kms and the 2013 has 285200kms.

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
425 Posts
Avoid the 1.6L like the plague, there's a reason that Ford killed it and moved to the 1.5L.
Get a Ford Extended Warranty that at least covers the engine and transmission, the 6F35 tends the get wear in the separator plate. The plate is made of plastic/nylon and the balls are steel so the holes enlarge over time which cause hard 2-3/3-4 shifts, the repair kit uses a nylon coated balls like the GM version of the transmission.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have a fully loaded titanium and think that’s the way to go if you can afford it. I really like the foot activated lift gate (requires keyless ignition to be foot active), dual panel moonroof, ambient lighting, active park assist, rain sensing wipers and the larger touchscreen with Apple CarPlay. Definitely get the 2.0, I’m not a fan of AWD, I’d get snow tires and FWD. look out for: harsh shifts during test drive, any evidence of roof leaks above the A pillars. As others said I’d either get an extended power train warranty or a CPO vehicle, there are some issues with the 6 speed trans and the engines that would manifest themselves by 100k miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So much good info! Thanks everyone - I've got a lot more info for Escape shopping now. Also good to know that Canadian packages are different.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,
We have been happy owners of a Ford Flex for many years and are soon to upgrade / downsize to an Escape, hopefully 2016-2018 or so. I've learned a lot from the Flex forum so thought I'd get a head start on the Escape forum. We live in an area with a fair bit of snow in winter so are thinking of AWD or 4x4. What do I need to know before buying? Is AWD worth the extra gas bill? Any years to avoid? Or any must haves to add to our non-negotiable list? Heated seats for sure, but I understand those are standard now.

I welcome your advice and thoughts!
Thanks in advance,
Chaplain143
Dear chaplin, I have a 2013 ford escape and I tell you what I love that car and in my opinion it is the best car I ever bought. As far as the snow it is fantastic in the snow it has the anti lock brakes that come on by itself when you get enough snow. I have never had any problems whatsoever with this car since I bought it 5 years ago. It is the only car I will ever own period. And if anything should happen to go wrong with it and I would need another car it would only be the ford escapes only . They have a very smoothe ride too and they heat up quickly in the winter too. I love my car and would never ever have any other car other than my ford escape. And the ford people really stand behind their products.vbyou won't be sorry if you buy a ford escape. They are very economical too and easy on gas. I do hope you go with the ford escape you won't be sorry and you will see what I mean once you should get it. May God give you the peace of mind if you should go with the ford escape and may God bless you and your family.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aw thanks.... nothing yet. We have our favourite Ford dealer and we are waiting for just the right Escape to show up there, used. Meanwhile our trusty old Flex is still flexing. It's nice to not buy in a crisis.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dear chaplin, I have a 2013 ford escape and I tell you what I love that car and in my opinion it is the best car I ever bought. As far as the snow it is fantastic in the snow it has the anti lock brakes that come on by itself when you get enough snow. I have never had any problems whatsoever with this car since I bought it 5 years ago. It is the only car I will ever own period. And if anything should happen to go wrong with it and I would need another car it would only be the ford escapes only . They have a very smoothe ride too and they heat up quickly in the winter too. I love my car and would never ever have any other car other than my ford escape. And the ford people really stand behind their products.vbyou won't be sorry if you buy a ford escape. They are very economical too and easy on gas. I do hope you go with the ford escape you won't be sorry and you will see what I mean once you should get it. May God give you the peace of mind if you should go with the ford escape and may God bless you and your family.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Aw thanks.... nothing yet. We have our favourite Ford dealer and we are waiting for just the right Escape to show up there, used. Meanwhile our trusty old Flex is still flexing. It's nice to not buy in a crisis.
Just an FYI, I got into a 17 at a good price. It was fresh off lease and all dealer maintained. All service records thru the dealer. I assume the deal covered free maintenance. Keep in mind there were some small changes between the 16 and 17 MY that, to me, makes the world of difference. I think the 17 should be the starting point for used FE searches.

The dealership at the time had like 11 of them on the lot to choose from. I got super lucky in the fact that I picked the one I did. I went in for a base model, but none were marked or had a sticker. I didn't think to check badging. The dealership was pretty chaotic (Friend was the salesperson but had 2 deals already going, 1 hour before close,,, etc) , so I narrowed the 11 down by eyeballing things. Didn't want leather, wanted a sunroof, didn't like black paint... that left 5, and I test drove the silver one because silver doesn't show dirt. It had a "Base" model interior, didn't notice any bells or whistles. With the price being on the high end of median for what I expected, but getting $2k more for my trade, I just assumed it was an S and went with it. Turns out it was an SE, with 4wd, with the 2.0L, with a cold weather package and the Pano sunroof. Who ever spec'd this Escape went all meat and no fat. I do wish I had the 201A, but I can live without it knowing I got the beefy motor and tranny. Good luck and happy hunting!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts