2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about 1600 miles on our new car, we noticed the headliner was wet at the top of the passenger side A-piller. The windshield seal was suspect, but when it went into the shop they found the leak was from the roof rack.

Must have been a Monday morning build.

·
Banned
220 Posts
Yeah, over on the Blue Oval forum a few folks reported this problem. The leak is bad enough, but replacing the headliner sounds like it has been a disaster. If you go out and look at your car, tell me how the **** they get a new one in there without bending it one fella said the dealer went through 3 headliners.

I suspect the headliner is installed at the factory through the front BEFORE the windsheild is installed. Maybe even before the dash is put in. Just my $.02.

PS. I have roof racks and I always look up now.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Interestingly, I also have a small leak in my escape. Everytime I go through the carwash and I get to the air blower/Dryer part of the wash, I get a few drops of water that smack me in the face. I don't know if its because of the pressure that the blower is pushing the water through that is causing this, because when it rains I don't feel anything.

·
Banned
220 Posts
Interestingly, I also have a small leak in my escape. Everytime I go through the carwash and I get to the air blower/Dryer part of the wash, I get a few drops of water that smack me in the face. I don't know if its because of the pressure that the blower is pushing the water through that is causing this, because when it rains I don't feel anything.
Do you have water marks/stain on your headliner above your head??

·
Registered
3 Posts
2014 Ford Escape --- Water Leak - A Column

My vehicle developed a water leak, at the passenger side A-column, at 2600 miles. I purchased the vehicle with 9 miles, in July, and it was in the service department for its 1st repair in September. The leak returned in mid-November, and my Escape is back in the service department since 11/26/13. I have contacted Ford for assistance and they have been just as bad as the service department at the dealership! I just hung up with a Ford Customer Service Rep and the service manager, at the dealership, and still no definite date for delivery of my vehicle.

Service department CANNOT locate the source of the leak!! I was told that I would get an update on 12/17/13...

I am not a happy camper...:mad:

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
My vehicle developed a water leak, at the passenger side A-column, at 2600 miles. I purchased the vehicle with 9 miles, in July, and it was in the service department for its 1st repair in September. ... Service department CANNOT locate the source of the leak!! I was told that I would get an update on 12/17/13...
palogirl7,

Were you able to get an update today? How's everything going? If you still need a hand, PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll see how I can help.

Ashley

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 Ford Escape Water Leak

I purchased a 2014 Ford Escape two weeks before thanksgiving at which time it rained heavily. I had leaks at both the driver and passenger columns. I returned the vehicle and it was replaced by the dealership. It rained the day after I received my replacement, and that Escape also leaked. I was told by the service department that they could not locate the source of the leak, however, upon retrieving my vehicle from the service dept. not only was the headliner wet, the carpeting on the passenger side was wet as well. It was only through my own diligence that I was able to have the service dept. take a closer look at the vehicle. Apparently, this is a manufacturing issue with the vehicle regarding some sort of self-leveling adhesive that is used in the run-off sections of the doors. I have escalated this issue to Ford Motor Company, and am waiting on a reply.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I bought a new Grand Cherokee (1993) with a rail that had a screw that was not installed. Needless to say the headliner got wet. The stealership wanted to replace the headliner....without looking for the source of the problem. I found the problem and cleaned the headliner myself.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
I purchased a 2014 Ford Escape two weeks before thanksgiving at which time it rained heavily. I had leaks at both the driver and passenger columns. I returned the vehicle and it was replaced by the dealership. It rained the day after I received my replacement, and that Escape also leaked. I was told by the service department that they could not locate the source of the leak, however, upon retrieving my vehicle from the service dept. not only was the headliner wet, the carpeting on the passenger side was wet as well. It was only through my own diligence that I was able to have the service dept. take a closer look at the vehicle. Apparently, this is a manufacturing issue with the vehicle regarding some sort of self-leveling adhesive that is used in the run-off sections of the doors. I have escalated this issue to Ford Motor Company, and am waiting on a reply.
That's truly unfortunate, only question I wanted to ask. Where the dates of manufacturer close? If they were built the same day or week or something. Problem could be isolated. I do know this issue was directly asked on the forum about the leaking in those columns

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
220 Posts
That's truly unfortunate, only question I wanted to ask. Where the dates of manufacturer close? If they were built the same day or week or something. Problem could be isolated. I do know this issue was directly asked on the forum about the leaking in those columns

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I have asked this question on other forums. The manufacture date doesn't appear to be isolated. The owners with leaks that replied to my question seemed to be scattered all over the place as far as build dates.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I picked up a new 2014 two days ago. Today I noticed significant watermark stains on both A pillars. ***?

I have an appt with my dealer tomorrow to check it out. I haven't washed the car, and there has been some light rain, that's it. Car is garaged. I have a bad feeling about this....

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
If this is a wide spread problem I for one will be very disappointed! There is no good reason for this. I hope Ford gets a handle on this. This is simple and basic not like a lot of the other complex problems we have seen come up. I am a Ford fan always have been, but this problem if wide spread really shakes my confidence in Ford.
Ford if you're listening you need to figure this out and make it right ASAP.
Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
If this is a wide spread problem I for one will be very disappointed! There is no good reason for this. I hope Ford gets a handle on this. This is simple and basic not like a lot of the other complex problems we have seen come up. I am a Ford fan always have been, but this problem if wide spread really shakes my confidence in Ford.
Ford if you're listening you need to figure this out and make it right ASAP.
Thanks
Mark
The odds are this isn't more widespread than other problem that *very unfortunately* happen to a small percentage of unfortunate owners. I wonder about the build dates too though.

Btw, Ford doesn't own/isn't affiliated with this forum, but we're lucky in that they've assigned a couple of Ford reps to help us out with info or to work with an owner privately. Ashley should be checking in here.

ikoiko, I hope this is resolved quickly and easily - really too bad. Let us know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Those A pillars have been a major target where the leaks have been reported, but previous reports I believe were on the 2013, which means the issue spread to the 2014, apparently the type of roof is non issue since I recall it being on a hard top as well as the vista top.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
2013 Ford Escape - Page 10 - Edmunds.com Car Forums

I found this in regards to the Leak issue not an answer but more of a procedure

rman66 Posts: 21 September 2012 edited September 2012
I used to work at Ford motor as an engineer at a manufacturing plant and responsible for the full body which included sealing although on a different car. I want to chime in here with my thoughts on the water leak issue that many of you have been experiencing

Some background-
Unibody structure vehicles of which I suspect the Escape is one, are assembled from sheet metal that is stamped and welded mostly by robots on the transferline. The process is continually improved from a quality and spec standpoint. Once the steel structure is welded, door assemblies are bolted onto the body structure that includes all the steel that makes up the car, it goes through the body sealing process which is mostly done by humans assisted by robots on the transferline. This is a crucial step because the sheetmetal has lots of daylight holes all over after being assembled that need to be sealed up. Workers use sealant guns to squirt the semi solid whitish substance (looks like caulk) into different parts and along the various nooks and crannies of this steel structure. Any process that can be automated, could be handed off to robots. Other washers, rubber grommets are inserted to seal up other areas of the vehicle. The car then goes through series of cleansing and coating baths where it is dipped in various chemicals (phosphate bath etc) that bond onto the sheet metal and assist in downstream paint process. Subsequently, the structures go through the paint process and then enter the oven where the body sealant and the paint bake and solidify filling in all those nooks and crannies to give you a nice sealed structure. This atleast is the intent.

What really happens -
Sometimes the workers miss squirting the sealant in the areas, sometimes they might squirt too little or in the wrong place because there was a substitute worker in place of another who was familiar with the process. Sometimes there is a design defect in that the sealant is not prescribed where it should be. Anyway, there are many reasons for leaks and a lot of chance for error to creep in but over time they (the manufacturing plant teams) tend to figure it out and fix these issues.

The plant gets continuous feedback from the field including dealers and customers. In the case of Escape, I bet there is an engineer who is racking his brains out to find the root cause for the waterleak that is common on the escape.

I know because I racked my brains on a water leak in the dash on the vehicle that I worked on at Ford. It was like a total mystery as I spent hours sending my cars through car washes trying to figure out the source. We tried everything to fix the **** leak including adjusting the joint near where the A-pillar meets the structure that holds the instrument panel , couple that with squirting the sealant in different areas. When we finally fixed it, I could still not really be comfortable that it was fixed for sure.

I think the Escape is too new, they might very likely still be in the process of figuring out the root cause for the leak and if they did, the knowledge and the skill to transfer it to the various dealerships across the country could take time. I wouldn’t be too surprised if a dealer tried to fix the leak and you see the leak again because fixing a leak can be extremely complex as I have explained above.

So what can I do as a potential buyer? I think the Escape is an awesome vehicle, I have never been so attracted to an SUV as I am to the Ford Escape. I will however wait for a few months until they stabilize some of these issues such as leaks and I am sure there are many other issues on all these new vehicles just starting to roll off the plant. So if you buy a new vehicle in its 1st year of production you take the risk of inheriting many issues. year after year they get better as they continue to resolve the issues and lean and improve the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Hi everyone,

I've hopped in this thread once before, but just wanted to post a reminder that if you're having any leaking concerns, send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll see how I can help get it taken care of for you.

Ashley

1 - 20 of 303 Posts