2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the new owner of a '13 Escape 2.0 Liter SE. What aftermarket engine/air/exhaust modifications do you consider are a must to keep this vehicle in shape for the long-run? I do a lot of driving on a daily basis (35-40 miles) and I plan on driving this vehicle for a long time. I'll hang up and listen. Thanks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm the new owner of a '13 Escape 2.0 Liter SE. What aftermarket engine/air/exhaust modifications do you consider are a must to keep this vehicle in shape for the long-run? I do a lot of driving on a daily basis (35-40 miles) and I plan on driving this vehicle for a long time. I'll hang up and listen. Thanks.
Welcome!!! I have an 2013 Escape 1.6 Liter SE that I bought new Jan. 4 2013.... it now has 96,000 miles on it because I average 50 miles a day from work etc... also trips to see the kids.... vacations.... I LOVE my Escape and my wife just bought a NEW 2017 Ford Escape SE four months ago.... the ONLY modifications I did to mine was remote starter... and rear camera.... I change the oil and rotate the tires every 5000 miles like clockwork.... and knock on wood I haven't had any problems with it other then regular things.... JUST KEEP UP ON the reg. maintenance..... I hope to get another 80,000 miles out of it before I do get a new one..... Dave :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Rear motor mount upgrade/replacement. There's a lot of info on this forum, google, and youtube. Here's a link.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Trying to get the stereo to where I like it, lol. No stock system is right even the Sony.

Generally intake and exhaust because on NA cars I love the intake noise. But on the turbo, it's meh. Don't care about the blowoff sound but I understand the appeal.

Keeping an eye on exhaust mods to figure out where I might go on that. I do a lot of long distance driving so some growl without drone is what I'm after.

Other than that, I try to get a vehicle that has most of what I want these days. With my kids grown and out of the house I'm more "affluent" than previously so I can get more of what I want. Still a basic Ford guy, but the Titanium Escape hit a lot of high points with me and I love it.

A decent radar detector (used to be a Valentine One, now a Uniden R3), and now a dash cam as well but they MUST be installed "clean" with taps into the vehicle. I hate cables running everywhere, lol. I'm a ham radio operator so a radio install is a must as well.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,340 Posts
.... What aftermarket engine/air/exhaust modifications do you consider are a must to keep this vehicle in shape for the long-run? .....
I'm firmly with @SteveTurbo .... When longevity and reliability are the priorities I consider it a must to not modify the drivetrain at all. By drivetrain I mean everything from the intake to the exhaust tip and from the radiator to the wheel hubs. By "modify" I mean use any part or fluid that does not meet the OEM Specification in any respect.

It's all a complex interrelated and interdependent balance of components on a well-designed vehicle (the Escape is that) where the manufacturer has determined the best balance of parts to meet the design goal for the long run; change the specification of any part and you risk upsetting that balance, potentially adversely affecting things in the long run. IMHO that includes mods intended to change the characteristics of the vehicle you bought (the sound of the intake or exhaust, the engine performance, whatever).

Stick with OEM-spec fluids, filters, and maintenance / replacement parts, use the recommended change intervals as maximums (reduce 'em if it makes you feel better), and enjoy your ride for as long as you want to keep it.

The only 'upgrade' I've practiced on my long-lived and reliable vehicle drivetrains is the use of brand-name full-synthetic motor oil (since synthetics cam to the market), carefully ensuring they meet the complete OEM specification and sticking with the OEM recommended change intervals. I've never sold an acquired 'as new' vehicle because of drivetrain wear, loss of performance or reliability problems - they all ran and stopped as good as new.

Bottom line, if you want to keep your vehicle as 'good as new', keep it 'same as new'.

IMHO

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
For longevity all I would do is comfort and appearance things. Maybe for the next set of tires look for low rolling resistance , and feed It Good 87 octane gas for the lowest cost per mile . Others also mentioned synthetic oil which I believe is a good thing for the turbo

·
Registered
435 Posts
If there was a "must" for a mod on the Escape (or any vehicle for that matter), I can think of a few:
1) Since auto manufacturers are cheaping out on front windshields with gradual tint strips sandwiched in between the layers of glass in the laminate layer, I would humbly suggest you go to your closest tint installed ASAP and get a tint strop installed on the upper windshield for your own safety. Having come from the auto glass industry myself, it boggles the mind why auto manufacturers would chose to save literally a few dollars and cents in the interests of profits over safety. You can still get windshields with graduated tint strips built into them when you go for a replacement. SPECIFY a GBN windshield if you ever need a new windshield. G stands for green tint (nearly all windshields are this color, including the Escape), B stands for graduated blue upper tint and N stands for no attached molding (many other vehicles are GBY that do have an attached molding). There is nothing worse than coming over a hill or turning onto a road and seeing a big orange ball, fumbling around with a visor and then ducking your head below the visor to see traffic lights! A tint strip only costs $20 - $30 and may save you an accident and maybe even cataracts!
2) Depending on how picky you are, if you have an SE model without an auto-darkening rear view mirror, invest in one if you don't want to mess with the rear view mirror every time a car comes up behind you at night. Mind cost in the mid $200 range and cost about $100 to install and wire up. It's a convenience and a safety thing.
3) Proper tires, or at least a different set of tires for the winter and snow.
4) Daytime running lights on models that do not have it standard. You can just make the headlights come on at low intensity or try out of of a couple of LED models wither in the front fascia as I have or below the main headlights. It's a safety thing and also improves the vehicle's looks.

We all mod our rides as we see fit with other stuff. I think just about everyone here has done so. If you want to go for something more drivetrain or suspension related, do your homework, check with others here or elsewhere and just be prepared for the unexpected in case you try something altogether new. Most of all, make sure you enjoy your ride after your modifications.

Reactions: mrmikesdeuce

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
If there was a "must" for a mod on the Escape (or any vehicle for that matter), I can think of a few:
1) Since auto manufacturers are cheaping out on front windshields with gradual tint strips sandwiched in between the layers of glass in the laminate layer, I would humbly suggest you go to your closest tint installed ASAP and get a tint strop installed on the upper windshield for your own safety. Having come from the auto glass industry myself, it boggles the mind why auto manufacturers would chose to save literally a few dollars and cents in the interests of profits over safety. You can still get windshields with graduated tint strips built into them when you go for a replacement. SPECIFY a GBN windshield if you ever need a new windshield. G stands for green tint (nearly all windshields are this color, including the Escape), B stands for graduated blue upper tint and N stands for no attached molding (many other vehicles are GBY that do have an attached molding). There is nothing worse than coming over a hill or turning onto a road and seeing a big orange ball, fumbling around with a visor and then ducking your head below the visor to see traffic lights! A tint strip only costs $20 - $30 and may save you an accident and maybe even cataracts!
2) Depending on how picky you are, if you have an SE model without an auto-darkening rear view mirror, invest in one if you don't want to mess with the rear view mirror every time a car comes up behind you at night. Mind cost in the mid $200 range and cost about $100 to install and wire up. It's a convenience and a safety thing.
3) Proper tires, or at least a different set of tires for the winter and snow.
4) Daytime running lights on models that do not have it standard. You can just make the headlights come on at low intensity or try out of of a couple of LED models wither in the front fascia as I have or below the main headlights. It's a safety thing and also improves the vehicle's looks.

We all mod our rides as we see fit with other stuff. I think just about everyone here has done so. If you want to go for something more drivetrain or suspension related, do your homework, check with others here or elsewhere and just be prepared for the unexpected in case you try something altogether new. Most of all, make sure you enjoy your ride after your modifications.

I couldn't agree more about everything said in this post. You can go to a tint shop and get a windshield highbrow installed. It does make a difference on sunny days. I also definitely agree with having season dedicated tires. I run 4 snow tires on my AWD cars in the winter. My main concern is not getting stuck, but improved braking and handling. I also love DRL's. How many times on a rainy or overcast day have you seen ( or not seen) a vehicle without the lights on. A lot of vehicles have a auto switch on their light control. Unfortunately they sometimes don't come on until it's very dark or not at all in rainy situations. Lastly I also highly recommend using a FULL synthetic motor oil.

Reactions: needliftnow

·
Registered
7 Posts
What brand remote start

Welcome!!! I have an 2013 Escape 1.6 Liter SE that I bought new Jan. 4 2013.... it now has 96,000 miles on it because I average 50 miles a day from work etc... also trips to see the kids.... vacations.... I LOVE my Escape and my wife just bought a NEW 2017 Ford Escape SE four months ago.... the ONLY modifications I did to mine was remote starter... and rear camera.... I change the oil and rotate the tires every 5000 miles like clockwork.... and knock on wood I haven't had any problems with it other then regular things.... JUST KEEP UP ON the reg. maintenance..... I hope to get another 80,000 miles out of it before I do get a new one..... Dave :)
What brand of remote start did you put in? Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
I actually bought that right through the dealership its the Ford aftermarket remote.... you press it three times and it starts the car nothing fancy.... at times it really reaches far (I work at a church and I can be pretty far away and it starts the car) Dave

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
FYI Re. Exhaust Mods

Keeping an eye on exhaust mods to figure out where I might go on that. I do a lot of long distance driving so some growl without drone is what I'm after..
If you do modify your exhaust are you planning on a "retune"?
What if your FE doesn't run right after the mod?

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0 Ecoboost. Livernois Tuner
3 Posts
Livernois Tuner.
Turn the 2.0 ecoboost
Into 300hp 307tq

Feed her 93 octane. And enjoy life
👍🏽🤙🏾

1 - 14 of 14 Posts