2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 596 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made another thread asking what you liked about the Ford Escape. So it's only fair to ask, what do you not like? I actually think this is better question for shoppers.

Who better to know the faults of the vehicle than an owner. Is there anything you don't like about the Escape? Something you want changed or improved? Anything the competition does better?

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
My Ford Touch - so buggy, I have reset mine 2 x since I owned it, once by me, once by dealer, and last night.. my rear view camera lines poof gone again.

I'd like to say gas mileage, but its way to early and I am usually stuck in rush hour... so its unfair and biased, but honest.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Some of this might be specific to a Titanium trim -- or same across many Fords, but...
- MPG indicator -- no way to show "real time" MPG usage.
- No way of showing current speed in digital form.
- Five green leaves for "efficient" driving is just not right. This is not a game console.
- Dashboard dimming doesn't seem to work well on warming/info lights (like "lights are on")
- Auto-dimming of MyTouch is sensitive -- cannot "make up its mind" during dusk/dawn.
- Fuel Tank Indicator shows empty at 14 gallons (that's after the TSB-13-2-1 update). The tank is already smallish.

- Rocker button for changing gears in Sport mode doesn't feel "natural".
- Steering is kind of numb... Like using a game console.
- That "slowing down" feeling when you take you foot off of gas pedal is weird (yet Ford touts it as a feature).
- Trunk floor is not flat, but under an angle -- things keep sliding (although a couple of bungee cords take care of that).
- "Chrome" A/C vents reflect in side windows. This sometimes gets pretty distracting.
- "Chrome" metal ring on the cupholders in the center console keep scratching my coffee cup.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The "dead pedal" area for the driver's left foot is oddly shaped, such that I sometimes have a hard time getting my left leg comfortable on trips longer than 5 minutes.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
The "dead pedal" area for the driver's left foot is oddly shaped, such that I sometimes have a hard time getting my left leg comfortable on trips longer than 5 minutes.

Wonder if the weathertech / Husky / 3Dmaxpider mats make it feel any different

·
Registered
499 Posts
More room for the driver's legs.
I had a problem feeling comfortable for that very reason when I first sat in the escape since im a tall guy.

How tall are you btw? I guess for smaller people the escape is perfect.
I doubt Kuga owners have this problem lol

·
Registered
61 Posts
myp4uk - You can get the current speed in digital form if you really want it. Turn ignition off, press and hold OK button on steering wheel while turning ignition back on. Keep the button held down until the info display changes.
Use the up and down buttons to select current speed on the display.

Note that this will turn back off after every ignition cycle, and will also cover anything else on the screen.

I think it will be quite useful if you ever need to know your speed in km/h when you drive into Canada.

·
Registered
14 Posts
- Five green leaves for "efficient" driving is just not right. This is not a game console.????

How do you get that to show on your display? I don't see them.

·
Registered
436 Posts
1) the clunk in the front end that won't go away
2) my tall husband says not enough leg room, and his right leg feels crammed up against console, but I am the main driver so it is not that big of a deal
3) no light in my SEL in the back hatch/storage area
4) location of interior lights in the vehicle at night is not sufficient - but I have the power roof - so it may be due to that, not sure if placement of lights is different as a result
5) fuel tank could be bigger, though I understand the reasoning in keeping the car lighter and more fuel efficient
6) little disappointed in how the paint is holding up - paid extra for white platinum tri-coat, after 8 months an about 15K miles, it seems to be chipping pretty easily. Fixed the chips pretty well with Dr. Colorchip - but will be investing in a clearbra soon and would recommend new buyers do as well
7) would like a reset "all" feature on the gauges
8) would like a button to reset after oil change (the old Escapes had this)
9) no aux port anywhere in the car
10) wish the user manual actually matched my car (see item 9, it says there is one, but nope!)
11) no passenger side power seat

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I am 6'4", and there is enough room for me. I have size 13 feet and can use the dead pedel too. Now I used to drag race mustangs and they have less room than the Escape and that might be my reason to thinking its ok, but I don't see the problem with the room. It is a little tight on the gas pedel side around the knee but overall its not that bad. The thing I least like is the halogen lights, why not put the HID lights on the whole line up or at least the SEL and Titanium. Why just have them on the Titanium?

·
Registered
252 Posts
6) little disappointed in how the paint is holding up - paid extra for white platinum tri-coat, after 8 months an about 15K miles, it seems to be chipping pretty easily. Fixed the chips pretty well with Dr. Colorchip - but will be investing in a clearbra soon and would recommend new buyers do as well
Try coming from 3 Subarus. :eek:

The paint on my Escape is impenetrable by comparison.

·
Registered
506 Posts
2013escape
Item#1 There is a TSB for the front suspension. Ford will fix any defect under warranty.
Item #3 There is a light in my SEL cargo area on the right side.
Item #5 I agree the tank is too small.
Item #6 3M protective film would be good to prevent stone chips.
Item #9 Auxiliary port are so old school. USB is the industry standard interface. You can buy an iPod cable (and many other cables connectors) that will connect to the USB standard A port.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hi Alan - yes. the TSB for the front end has been performed, unfortunately it has not resolved the issue. So strange that you have a light in the cargo area? I wonder if there is a package for that I do not have...or if they just missed it on mine. I recognize aux ports are a little old school. Unfortunately, I have a subscription to Rhapsody, which allows unlimited downloads to mp3's in exchange for a monthly payment. I have over 1,200 songs, and the Ford interface thinks I have protected content and will not play them. I have the USB converter, but unfortunately the sound quality does not come through very well. It could be related to my device, but not sure. My old Escape worked the same stuff just fine....just a slight disappointment. I know this post seems negative (it is the content of the thread) but overall I am TOTALLY in love with this car.
Thanks for the update about the manuals!!

·
Registered
506 Posts
To fix the front end clunk, I would take my car into service and take the rental until its confirmed fixed. With the cost of the rental the dealer has incentive to fix it.
Strange my SEL has the light and your doesn't. I checked the Ford brochures standard features list and it shows a rear cargo area light. http://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?make=Ford&model=Escape&year=2013&postalCode=43566 With this said I would ask them to add the cargo light.
Bummer about your Rhapsody issue, there has to be a work around for it. You don't sound too negative, just unsatisfied! I hope this helps. Alan

1 - 20 of 596 Posts