2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

541 - 560 of 596 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,521 Posts
I don't like that my Escape manual says the fuel capacity is 16.2 gallons when it barely holds 15 gals. If that doesn't fit the description of things I don't like about my Escape than you need a whole new education.

You had already mentioned your dislike for the tank size. If you want to keep discussing it over and over. It’s best to move it into the appropriate thread.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My short list

Well, I just got Davis on Friday evening but we'd looked at Escapes before and driven a few. I had a chance to really get a feel yesterday (a long 18+ hour day, most of it spent driving) and there are only two things that bug me. The first is that there isn't much support for my lower back where the seat and back meet. Having said that, I have chronic pain issues, which is part of why I gave up my Jeep for the Escape. That minor lack of support in that one area is nothing compared to the pain from the seats on my Jeep. The other thing is that Sync woman's voice. GAAHH!! That's the one thing I truly wish I could change. And maybe a bigger fuel tank... ;) >:D

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
... The other thing is that Sync woman's voice. GAAHH!! That's the one thing I truly wish I could change. ....
Things to look forward to ....

• Once you get the hang of SYNC you can set the system to give minimal prompts, silencing most of the chatter (not NAV directions though AFAIK)
  • You can turn the volume down separate for most 'speaking functions', just adjust the level with the dash knob while she's speaking (nothing else will change, whatever you set for 'her' will stick); I've got the NAV voice to 'inaudible-low' 99% of the time, relying on the Turn-by-Turn in the IPC display for adequate 'notice' of upcoming changes.
Hey, congrats on your 'new' Escape !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Things to look forward to ....

• Once you get the hang of SYNC you can set the system to give minimal prompts, silencing most of the chatter (not NAV directions though AFAIK)
  • You can turn the volume down separate for most 'speaking functions', just adjust the level with the dash knob while she's speaking (nothing else will change, whatever you set for 'her' will stick); I've got the NAV voice to 'inaudible-low' 99% of the time, relying on the Turn-by-Turn in the IPC display for adequate 'notice' of upcoming changes.
Hey, congrats on your 'new' Escape !
Thanks! I get to drive him to work tomorrow morning and show him off to everyone! :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
My Escape: 2015 Titanium, 71,000 kilometers (less than 45,000 miles) on the clock. Well-maintained, etc.

BUT:
- cosmetic: paint has started flaking just recently, with rust already settling, arounf the pointy tip of a taillight; bubble starting at the chrome trim on the trunk lid as well. Dealer can do nothing since I am off the basic warranty. (Not the first time I have issues with a Ford dealer ignoring obvious paint defects, previously while still on basic warranty even!).

- Sync: stuck with dated maps that can no longer be updated (I got the latest updates, paid dearly for). Alternative is to shell out about $2,000 for a third-party system programmed for the Ford).

After 6 Fords (2 made in Canada and 4 made in the USA), I think I will just go back to a made in Canada Honda (had many more issues with a brand-new Japan-built one than with the previous one, that was made in Canada), hoping they now come with longer-lasting exhaust lines and brakes.

Attachments

·
Registered
674 Posts
My Escape: 2015 Titanium, 71,000 kilometers (less than 45,000 miles) on the clock. Well-maintained, etc.

BUT:
- cosmetic: paint has started flaking just recently, with rust already settling, arounf the pointy tip of a taillight; bubble starting at the chrome trim on the trunk lid as well. Dealer can do nothing since I am off the basic warranty. (Not the first time I have issues with a Ford dealer ignoring obvious paint defects, previously while still on basic warranty even!).

- Sync: stuck with dated maps that can no longer be updated (I got the latest updates, paid dearly for). Alternative is to shell out about $2,000 for a third-party system programmed for the Ford).

After 6 Fords (2 made in Canada and 4 made in the USA), I think I will just go back to a made in Canada Honda (had many more issues with a brand-new Japan-built one than with the previous one, that was made in Canada), hoping they now come with longer-lasting exhaust lines and brakes.
That doesn't look like an Escape, nor Fusion tail light, what is it?

·
Banned
248 Posts

BUT:

That doesn't look like an Escape, nor Fusion tail light, what is it?
That’s an Escape...!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am a new owner but what comes to mind are:

The push buttons for the fan speed, I would prefer a knob or buttons that I can find by feel.

The fact that you cannot turn off all the lights that come on if you open a door or the hatch and want to leave it open. I bet there is a fix or work-around for this if someone wants to share it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Odd Defroster control/air control

It's hard to say it's a dislike or a like, but what I describe here is different than any car I've ever owned.
First off, I prefer manual HVAC control rather than using Auto HVAC. It's rare that I use AC even in the hottest weather.
The upper most HVAC control has an icon that looks like it is for windshield defrost only. However, if you turn off the middle and lower air controls, and only have that upper button enabled, you have defrost of the windshield. Unlike any other car I've ever owned, the AC light is not lighted when the defrost is on, but I think that the compressor is in use because the fan turns on high and it does clear a fogged windshield. This is not explained in the owner's manual.
If the middle or footwell air paths are active with the windshield air path, you get air distribution only, the fan is not on high, but it will not defrost a fogged windshield.
Call me a Luddite if you will, and I'll laugh because I am a recently retired scientist, but keeping Auto HVAC off will save fuel mileage.

·
Registered
176 Posts
It's hard to say it's a dislike or a like, but what I describe here is different than any car I've ever owned.
Unlike any other car I've ever owned, the AC light is not lighted when the defrost is on, but I think that the compressor is in use because the fan turns on high and it does clear a fogged windshield. This is not explained in the owner's manual.
I think that's a Ford thing. I've never saw the A/C light on when defrost is on (2010 Fusion or 2003 Focus...at least that I can recall). I just knew it was on based on the slight decrease in engine power and occasionally hearing the compressor cycle on/off.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've had our 2018 for a little longer than 24 hours now, and unfortunately, the list is a bit longer than I'd prefer (but still an overall improvement over the Fusion I traded in). In no particular order:
  • No one-touch up driver window on the SE (my 2010 Fusion SE had it...the equipment is all there...why not finish the software program?)
  • Can't customize the Sync 3 home screen...at least not that I've seen so far
  • Overhead bin seems very flimsy
  • Owners manual claims all the interior lights are LED - I'm willing to bet money the driver and passenger footwell, glovebox, and cargo area lights are all still incandescent lights, but no mention about what to replace them with should they go bad
  • Wish the tailgate went up another inch or two when open (I have the manual tailgate...it's definitely maxed-out)...being 6'2", I'm going to have to remind myself to duck
  • Auto start/stop could be more refined/additional options
  • Other than the tailgate, there doesn't seem to be a way to close the doors without them slamming shut -- rear doors especially
  • User control of the auto-lock/unlock has been removed (again, another thing my Fusion had)
  • They couldn't have found much more awkward place for the battery
  • Changing the engine air filter requires loosening bolts...I liked the spring clamps the Fusion had. My old Focus had bolts...turned to be a bitch when one of them stripped itself
  • With the size/shape the glovebox is, it would have been nice to have a shelf inside
  • Wish the rear HVAC controls were easier to see

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've had our 2018 for a little longer than 24 hours now, and unfortunately, the list is a bit longer than I'd prefer (but still an overall improvement over the Fusion I traded in). In no particular order:

• No one-touch up driver window on the SE (my 2010 Fusion SE had it...the equipment is all there...why not finish the software
  • Wish the tailgate went up another inch or two when open (I have the manual tailgate...it's definitely maxed-out)...being 6'2", I'm going to have to remind myself to duck
  • With the size/shape the glovebox is, it would have been nice to have a shelf inside

Cant comment on the SE version but with Titanium, which I have, all 4 windows have one-touch up and down. Nifty

You can adjust the tailgate to go up more by pushing it up and then hold the push button for 3 secs to program it so that it goes up to that height the next time

There is indeed a shelf inside the glovebox to keep the manual. You’ll find it on the upper portion inside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
176 Posts
Cant comment on the SE version but with Titanium, which I have, all 4 windows have one-touch up and down. Nifty

You can adjust the tailgate to go up more by pushing it up and then hold the push button for 3 secs to program it so that it goes up to that height the next time

There is indeed a shelf inside the glovebox to keep the manual. You’ll find it on the upper portion inside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the manual tailgate...it's up as far as it will go. On second/third look, there is a shelf...I'll amend my statement and say I wish the shelf was a bit bigger.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I think that's a Ford thing. I've never saw the A/C light on when defrost is on (2010 Fusion or 2003 Focus...at least that I can recall). I just knew it was on based on the slight decrease in engine power and occasionally hearing the compressor cycle on/off.
Maybe you're right that it's a Ford thing.

Every previous car I've owned (VW, BMW), could enable the windshield air vents without running the AC compressor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have had my Escape for 8 months (I traded in a 2012 Escape) overall I love it but, there are a couple of things I do not like compared to the 2012.
1. The gas tank fill on the passenger side. I keep forgetting and have to drive around the gas station to find a pump available.
2. I would rather have the integrated blind
spot mirrors than the bliss. Simply because when stopped in traffic/stop light/ traffic jam with the integrated mirrors yo can still see if anyone is coming up in behind you (in case you decide you want to change lanes) with bliss it only works when you are moving.I have seen other makes and models have a red light appear when the vehicle is stopped.
3. Not having the gear **** selector indicators illuminated on the shifter on the console. My stalk moves easily and I’m not used to looking at the dash, sometimes I’m driving and findiing myself driving in (S) rather than (D)
4.better gas mileage.
By far the likes outweigh the dislikes . I really love driving my car the 2.0L really helps when merging onto the interstate.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
  • No one-touch up driver window on the SE ...
The "SE" trim has certainly suffered a lot of de-contenting in 2018 with the re-introduction of the "SEL" trim level. Not sure if the price difference correlates to match. Buyers need to take care to check these details, especially if they come from familiarity with prior year trim levels and have an expectation of similarity.

Though not something salesmen are necessarily forthcoming (or informed) about, but finding the build-guide via google search helps one understand the things 'new', 'changed' and 'deleted' on each trim level.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The "SE" trim has certainly suffered a lot of de-contenting in 2018 with the re-introduction of the "SEL" trim level. Not sure if the price difference correlates to match. Buyers need to take care to check these details, especially if they come from familiarity with prior year trim levels and have an expectation of similarity.

Though not something salesmen are necessarily forthcoming (or informed) about, but finding the build-guide via google search helps one understand the things 'new', 'changed' and 'deleted' on each trim level.
Yeah, that's definitely a 'my bad' - shouldda read the details closer, as it was clearly on the window sticker as only being one-touch down...although, who would reasonably expect a feature like that to disappear that is more or less standard on "lesser" vehicles, and from earlier model years? I figured if it's on my wife's '13 Fiesta SE, surely the more expensive Escape would have it no questions asked. Had I seen that sooner, would it have changed our decision to purchase the SE? No, because we didn't want leather and the higher price the SEL has.

That said, looking just now at the SE and SEL using the compare models on ford.com, I see this listed clearly under the SE column: "Power Windows with One-Touch-Up/Down Front and Rear". Like the owners manual, yet another place Ford can't get the details right.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have had my Escape for 8 months (I traded in a 2012 Escape) overall I love it but, there are a couple of things I do not like compared to the 2012.
1. The gas tank fill on the passenger side. I keep forgetting and have to drive around the gas station to find a pump available.
#4. better gas mileage.
By far the likes outweigh the dislikes . I really love driving my car the 2.0L really helps when merging onto the interstate.
Regarding your #1 . I like that it is on the right side, most cars have them on the left and it is often easier to get a spot at a busy gas station with the right side filler.

#4 . Agree on better mileage, even with my 2015 1.6L FWD it rarely gets the EPA ratings (as stated by Ford and accepted by EPA, as I understand it).

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
541 - 560 of 596 Posts