2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

581 - 596 of 596 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
I don't like the fact that my local Ford dealer seems to know very little about Ford Sync 3 updates and what version the latest maps are even though they are supposed to update them with each service.

I suppose that is not the car's fault though....

·
Registered
107 Posts
I really wish I had gotten the SEL for my 2018; at least I would have paddle shifters...The 2018 in Sport mode runs better than my 2017 did though...

·
Registered
605 Posts
https://www.motor.com/magazine-summary/resolving-low-speed-pre-ignition/

This is a very interesting article that I 'stole' from another Ford forum and among other things it relates to pre-ignition damage in modern turbo vehicles.

It relates to our Ford Escapes as like many other turbo vehicles they are designed with lots of torque and a high 6th gear.

Many here have complained about the 'labouring' of our cars from low speeds in 6th gear. Of course this is a recipe for disaster in the long term and can cause engine damage due to possible pre-ignition or 'pinging' according to this article.

One possible solution is to use a higher fuel octane such as 98 instead of 95 (Australia) or always use Sport mode where at the lower speeds the car will drop down to 5th gear and the engine will not be under stress upon acceleration.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've read through a number of posts on this thread about the dislike of the fuel filler port on the passenger side of the vehicle. Well, I like it there. I always buy fuel at Costco. The lines for the pumps to fill the cars with driver side filler ports are usually 2 - 4 cars deep. The other side rarely has anyone. I know the hoses are long enough for any car to fill up on either side but it seems like the drivers that go to my local Costco don't want to mess with stretching the hose. So I'm in and out pretty quickly.

I have a 2016 1.6l model which is supposed to hold just over 15.5 US gallons. The first tank of gas I drove down to almost the fumes. The pump shut off at 14.8 gallons. I had traveled about 316 miles for 21.3 mpg.

Don't like the
1. lack of storage spaces in cabin
2. no place for my lockbox to hide and be anchored
3. all the interior lights come on when you turn off the car
4. not a good way to get the car in "accessories" mode like you could with a normal keyed car
5. the steering seems to be extra sensitive when taking a corner a bit too fast

I like the
A. turbo
B. sport shift
C. size and handling (compared to the Toyota Sienna we had)
D. the 2016 exterior style and the ruby red color
E. pretty much everything else

·
Registered
387 Posts
https://www.motor.com/magazine-summary/resolving-low-speed-pre-ignition/

This is a very interesting article that I 'stole' from another Ford forum and among other things it relates to pre-ignition damage in modern turbo vehicles.

It relates to our Ford Escapes as like many other turbo vehicles they are designed with lots of torque and a high 6th gear.

Many here have complained about the 'labouring' of our cars from low speeds in 6th gear. Of course this is a recipe for disaster in the long term and can cause engine damage due to possible pre-ignition or 'pinging' according to this article.

One possible solution is to use a higher fuel octane such as 98 instead of 95 (Australia) or always use Sport mode where at the lower speeds the car will drop down to 5th gear and the engine will not be under stress upon acceleration.

Any thoughts?
If you get a hand held tuning device you can dial back the base timing a bit to reduce/eliminate the pinging as well with lower octanes. You will lose some power though.

Our family only uses premium fuel in all of our vehicles. My 08 Mustang Gt is tuned for it, the wife's 2013 VW turbo beetle is factory tuned for it and I believe says "Use only 91 Octane fuel" none of this "recommended" stuff.

The 2017 Escape that is my daugthers, while it says you can use 87 Octane (min), it's a high compression, DI, Turbo (forced induction), just like the wife's Beetle. Anyone that has a performance background knows you do not use 87 octane for that combination. Even the manual says 91 Octane recommended. That is only a recommendation though and as such people take it to mean, I only need to use 87.

Ford and most other OEM's tune for a base of 87 minimum because otherwise people would complain about the "expense" of higher octane fuel requirement but, you get what you get when mpg and cost per mile are the first on the list.

I drive the mustang with OD off to lock 5th out around town. The wife and daughter leave theirs in D and only use their Sport modes occasionally.

Aside from that:

Likes worth mentioning:
* Power on the 2.0L. It's pretty peppy for as small of a motor it is.
* Transmission is pretty well calibrated in D mode. Unless you are cruising and then floor it, takes a second or two to down shift.
* Lay flat cargo area with the pull of a lever (way better than our old 2006 Escape).
* Interior cloth like material, very stain resistant.

Dislikes worth mentioning:
* Spaceship sized windshield. It's a rock magnet. Cracked two in 3 months. First one had to be replaced, fixed the second one and hopefully saved it

* All the plastic panels under the vehicle. So many places for rattles to occur and dirt to collect.

* Sharp, quick turns are not fun in this vehicle, they are scary. Steering is very twitchy. I think it's partially torque steer and partially an overly aggressive program for the EPS that doesn't consider vehicle yaw or throttle input enough.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Low resale value. My Escape's trade-in value is ~1/2 what I paid for it ~5 years ago. I purchased it used from Carmax in 2/14 with ~8K miles on it. After checking multiple sources Carmax at that time had the best price. KBB, Carvana https://www.carvana.com/sellyourcar, and a Carmax appraisal were within ~$100. of each other. It's a basic SE, 64K miles, with a panorama roof, 2.0l engine, a few aftermarket mods and hitch, in very good shape, and running great.
Don't know how this compares to the resale value of other SUVs but for now it's a keeper.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Roof rack

I have a 2016 with no roof rails. Just looked at the 2019, they're BAAAACK. I hate them. I don't need them. Cleaning off snow will be very difficult.

Can they be removed by the dealer before I buy it?

Pleease say 'yes'.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you are meaning the front-to-back rails and not the left-to-right crossbars (optional) I don't know if it would be worth your while to have them removed. Sounds expen$ive, as they bolt through the roof sheetmetal which would have to be repaired. I just brush the snow off on the outside and then the snow in-between the rails. Maybe Wisconsin snow is easier to brush than Cape Cod snow:D

For 2019, the S (not avail.w/4WD) and SE trim levels don't have roof rails; the SEL and Titanium do. Your dealer should be able to locate an S or SE at another dealer, or you can factory order an S or SE optioned the way you want. Perhaps it's possible to special order an SEL or Titanium w/o roof rails.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Rear inner fenders

The silly felt rear inner fenders collect so much ice and snow that they pull down, ride the tire and wear a hole in them.
I just bought a new set and had them Rhino lined, we'll see if that cures it when I get them installed

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
I have a 2016 with no roof rails. Just looked at the 2019, they're BAAAACK. I hate them. I don't need them. Cleaning off snow will be very difficult.

Can they be removed by the dealer before I buy it?

Pleease say 'yes'.
If you are meaning the front-to-back rails and not the left-to-right crossbars (optional) I don't know if it would be worth your while to have them removed. Sounds expen$ive, as they bolt through the roof sheetmetal which would have to be repaired. ......
Just FYI:

Removal of the roof rails involves un-bolting the rails and removing the 3-piece roof trim strips and certain bolt-on brackets. Then, the removed bolt-on brackets are replaced with bolt-on trim clips and a one-piece full-length trim strip is installed on each side. All of the same bolt-holes are used for either option and all of the work is done from the outside of the car (nothing inside is touched or removed to do the work). There's nothing to be "repaired", it's strictly a bolt remove-and-replace process, all Escapes have provisions to go either way built-in to the roof panel. BTW, presence or absence of the optional Pano-roof makes no difference.

Myself and several others here have DIY removed our roof rails and installed the OEM single-piece trim strips (see Roof rail removal, as in 'forever' ..., the thread includes cost data).

The "value" of the undertaking is strictly in the eye of the beholder, obviously the economics are different for DIY vs paying someone to do it. Same goes with choosing trim levels that do / don't have 'em .... just a matter of deciding what's important / of value to you in terms of everything bundled with different trim levels.

@Anna , getting it done, the price, and the timing relative to delivery by a dealer would be a matter of negotiation with the specific dealer. It's work that any competent body-shop can do - if seriously wanting the modification it might be prudent to shop for bids from independent body-shops for comparison to 'dealer' pricing.

Be aware that IF any sort of leak-issue arose after such a modification it likely would not be covered under the original vehicle warranty - only under whatever warranty is provided in conjunction with the 'modification' work by whoever does that work. FWIW I've had no leaks whatsoever now some 4+ years after removing my roof rails. I'm still happy to have a 'clean roof' without the rails.

Again, all just FYI.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Could he have meant side-to-side?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had leased a 2015 Ford Edge for 3 years, and it was a decent SUV. At the end of the lease, decided to get something a little easier to drive for my wife, who is 5" tall on a good day. Picked up a new Canyon Ridge Metallic 2017 Escape Titanium AWD 2.0 EcoBoost.

Having had it for a little over a year, I've found that it's pretty easy to live with. Fairly peppy for a small SUV, AWD works well. Although the seats aren't the most comfortable for me (seat cushion is too short, feels like I'm sitting in a jump seat), it's comfy and easy to drive for my wife. Easy to park, easy to drive. Panoramic roof is nice. Sony stereo is very good. Sync 3 generally works very well.

Things I don't like? Gas mileage is nothing to write home about. More boost than eco. Got almost as good gas mileage in my 2015 Ford Edge with the 3.5 V6. Would much prefer a V6 with similar power to a turbo 4 engine. A V6 sounds better and has a smoother delivery of power.

The gas cap is on the wrong side, but that's just a small annoyance. What is really annoying is the start/stop and the lack of ability to turn the cabin lights on and off, or to switch them off so that they don't come on automatically when you shut the vehicle off. At least you can deactivate the stop/start nonsense with a button.

Hate the foot activated tailgate, which would either open when I didn't want it to while I was cleaning the back glass, or close on my head when I was reaching in to grab groceries. A simple fuse pull solved that annoyance.

The most annoying thing about the vehicle is that the backup camera sometimes will not work when first starting the vehicle in the morning. It says that there is a trailer attached. There is no trailer attached. Sometimes it doesn't say that a trailer is attached, but the backup camera still doesn't work. I get to the store, go in and grab my Pop Tarts, then get in the Escape and the backup camera works fine. Weird. I'm going to search the forum and see if anyone else has this problem. Hate to take time to go to the dealer if there is a simple reboot or fix for it.

All in all, a nice SUV, but will probably talk my wife into a little bigger vehicle next time.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I made another thread asking what you liked about the Ford Escape. So it's only fair to ask, what do you not like? I actually think this is better question for shoppers.

Who better to know the faults of the vehicle than an owner. Is there anything you don't like about the Escape? Something you want changed or improved? Anything the competition does better?
Definitely the a/c vents are a little weird,,, weird as in they never seem to really direct the cold air onto where you want it ,, at least in my 2014. Oh, and no dome light either,, def didn’t realize that till after we bought it... not a game changer, just odd.

581 - 596 of 596 Posts