2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1011 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
There is a thread like this on another forum I frequent and it's pretty cool....sometimes funny to see what people have done/are doing to their rides. Even if it's as simple as washing it, to as complex as building a 2.2 liter stroker motor with twin turbos making 750hp. Pics are not a requirement but if it would make the post better, bring 'em on. I forgot to take pics yesterday but I will be back tomorrow with pics.

12/6/14
Washed, waxed, and detailed the wife's FE. Washed it with the usual Meguiar's Gold Car Wash, dried it with my 10+ year old "Absorber", waxed it AGAIN(wasn't real impressed with the Meguiar's Black Wax)so I used the old fail-safe Collinite No. 845 Insulator Wax....this stuff is a miracle...I went as far as waxing the headlights and foglight/turnsignal assemblies to make muck/bug guts easier to remove, wiped down EVERY window with Rain-X, gave the interior a quick but detailed wipe down/cleaning, wiped down all of the doors jambs, pillars, and rear gate jambs to remove the slight dust build-up, and then vacuumed the interior out good. I even wiped all the dirt out of the door seal cracks and crevices, looks like it's ready to hit the used car lot lol. The Collinite just has a shine that can't be described.

A little story of frustration if you're not bored yet. I always save the front bumper for last when I wax, so I have just applied the wax to the front bumper, waiting for it dry. I walk around to grab my bucket that I sat in the yard about 5ft. away, when I step in the yard somehow or another my boot creates this pressurized area between the heel and toe, that little step up area....anyway, this GUSH of muddy water squirts out between the heel and toe DIRECTLY onto my freshly waxed hood, fender, door, wheel/tire, headlight, and still drying front bumper.

I had a 30 second case of tourettes/3 year old temper tantrum and slinging of my bucket across the yard(the neighbor came out to make sure I wasn't dying), then quickly wiped off the affected areas. It was amazing how well the muddy water beaded up and how easily it wiped it off. I rewaxed the bumper and headlight as the wax wasn't dry yet, wiped down the wheel/tire and reapplied the Armor-All Detailer's Advantage tire cleaner/shine. If I had been in khaki's and a nice shirt you can between your bottom dollar that muddy water would've sprayed all over me. My dirty beat-up work jeans, sweat shirt, and boots....not a drop of mud on them....my sparkling clean Escape, covered. Dang the luck, but fortunately all ended well!

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
LOL! Want video. Glad it turned out okay though.

Yesterday I removed the large oak leaves and helicopters from tulip poplars and maples out of the cold air intakes by hand and with the newish shop vac. Oaks are the last to shed leaves here. Even though our cars are garaged, the leaves get excited when they see the Escape is in the driveway and jump into that space.

I vacuumed and used Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailing Wipes, also wiping with a new, thick microfiber towel against haze. I then used the towel to dust, though usually I use a Swiffer on an extention. Then I used the already-used wipes to swipe the Husky driver's side mat and under the hood.
@JMR used to be a member and a moderator, and he was a Meguiar's Quick Wipes fan, which I mentally thank him for when I use them. I swipe pretty much everything with them, including the edges of the door, the door itself, etc.

That's my standard 15 minute process. Since it's just me in the Escape most of the time it stays clean. When our dog rides with me, vacuuming intensifies.

While others do much more, and I kind of think I should, people have often said even my old cars looked new, and I'm lazy so probably won't change.

·
Registered
159 Posts
This weekend, Saturday, I changed a flat tire at the worst possible time haha. My wife was waiting for me to go to a X-mas dinner at her uncles house haha. She thought it was just one of my excuses lol

Saturday, met some cool peeps at a car meet at a buddy's shop. Ill have a guy wrap my chrome window trim and the rear grey diffuser black. Hell aslo redo my headlight eyelids properly with matte black wrap! He's starting out so labour is fairly cheap. 90$ for all..parts and labour!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got a compliment on it today. The guy was real impressed when I told him I cleaned it up myself lol. I wish he was closer, I would have given him my number to clean up his vehicle.
Here are a few pics of the clean Kodiak Brown Escape....It looks black I know lol
EDIT: the second pic isn't a selfie, it's a pic looking down onto the hood.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
I got a compliment on it today. The guy was real impressed when I told him I cleaned it up myself lol. I wish he was closer, I would have given him my number to clean up his vehicle.
Here are a few pics of the clean Kodiak Brown Escape....It looks black I know lol
EDIT: the second pic isn't a selfie, it's a pic looking down onto the hood.
If you were closer I would have given you *my* number to clean my vehicle.

Nice pics, including the non-selfie.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you were closer I would have given you *my* number to clean my vehicle.

Nice pics, including the non-selfie.
I used to clean up vehicles for a little extra money so I'm fairly well versed on it lol. I need to get another shop and continue on with it.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
I drove through snow, ice, and some rain I think. My Escape never noticed though since it had its new snow boots on.

I love you Escape....I love you General Tires. :x

·
Registered
491 Posts
Yesterday
Finally got the cargo net I ordered from eBay. Cheap but works.
Car Trunk Luggage Cargo Elastic Net for Benz MDX CRV Escape Sportage ATS 100 100 | eBay

Today
Installed the Visual Garage shark fin antenna. Came with installation instructions. Easy to install, just had to make sure it was centered before taking the tape off the adhesive. Once you put this down you can not move it. Radio reception is about the same as the OEM stick antenna.

Installed the Ford OEM mud guards. These are very pricey compared to others you can get off eBay or AliExpress. If you have the right tools the install is fairly easy. For what you pay for these Ford should include new plastic push pin fasteners. Toyota did with my Scion FR-S OEM mud guards. Ford wants you to re-use the old ones. I used extreme care when removing them but I still don't like to re-use them.
I may write up a DIY guide for these with more details.
Cheapest I could find them was here: New 2013 2015 Ford Escape Mud Flaps Splash Guards Set Kit All 4 | eBay Shipped UPS with tracking, had them 3 days after I ordered them.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The other day I downloaded and tinkered with FOCCCUS and FORscan. Gotta get a bluetooth adapter so I can turn off the DRL's and see what I might want to turn on :). I'm ready to start my headlight build so I can have sweet DRL's and just sweet headlights in general.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Yesterday I upgraded my MyFord Touch system while driving home from work. It takes 30 minutes (so they say) so I took the long way home.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did that Friday night, I just did it while sitting at home, should've went somewhere cause it took FOREVER.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
My Escape got a quick vac, wipe down and wash today.. it was a mess.. haha.. I also put on locking lug nuts on each corner.

I see 91sonomast's Escape with the front tinted windows along with the front window tint.. looks good and that will probably be my next addition. I have the Spoiler still sitting in the box but will wait a bit before I install it..

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I LOVE window tint!!! Bright gives me a headache and just strains me. Window tint+sunglasses=amazing!!!!

·
Registered
697 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
I added four Ford mud guards, dealer installed.

1 - 20 of 1011 Posts