2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1101 - 1110 of 1110 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
I got a few things done this week. At ~70K miles I drained and filled the transmission 3X with 3 gallons of Valvoline Multi-Vehicle (ATF) Full Synthetic AT fluid, $17.97/gal. at Walmart.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvolin...ic-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid-1-GA/15125768

I had my Escape up on RhinoRamps. The ramps make it much easier getting under the vehicle to get the splash shield off and work under it. I got ~3 ¾ quarts out on the first drain. This is the first time I have drained the trans. Other posters here have said that they got ~4 quarts out on the first drain. It could have been a little low on fluid or because of the ramps. I drove it ~5 miles after each fill. After the last fill I torqued the drain bolt to 106 in-lbs.

I followed this video to check the fluid level.

My Escape has the 14mm level port bolt on the left side of the axle. I got about ½ quart of fluid out of the port with it level at operating temp. Good to go. The bolt has a rubber O-ring on it so I just snugged it up tight.

We have a Harbor Freight store in town. They frequently issue 20% off coupons in their sale catalogs and online. I used one of those coupons to purchase these a few years ago.
1/2 in. Drive Click Type Torque Wrench
1/4 in. Drive Click Type Torque Wrench
High Visibility Socket Adapter Set, 4 Pc.

Does it shift any better now? Not really, the trans since new has always had this slight whine when starting out slow, like it’s searching for the lower gears. It still does that.

I also changed the oil and oil filter, I was surprised that the change oil indicator came on at 4600 miles after the last oil change. I use Mobil 1 oil and I usually get ~9500 miles between oil changes, but since last year we have been doing almost all city driving.

While the shield was off, I did a coolant drain and fill with the new Motorcraft yellow coolant. See this post for more info: COOLANT CHANGE FROM ORANGE TO YELLOW?

And I replaced the Center High Mount Stop Light, a.k.a. CHMSL, following rahrena8690’s video. The center clip is a PITA to reach and loosen.

I purchased it from Amazon for $33.05. https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-923-292-Center-Select-Models/dp/B07QRYZ1T6

The brute force method of replacing it, it took this guy awhile to figure out that the ignition switch has to be in the ON position for the brake lights to come on when you step on the brake.

It comes with the clips installed.

Amazon's product info states that they are halogen bulbs, not LEDs. Perfect fit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I finished installing mud flaps on my 2021 Ford Escape SE today (8/10/2021):

I bought the mud flaps (front and rear for driver and passenger side) on eBay, the fitment is awesome and well worth it for around $47.00 USD.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Yeah I'm lazy, I last waxed my Escape in July, 2019 with Turtle Wax Ice Seal N Shine. 2013+ Ford Escape Forum. Everyone has their favorite wax. Mine is the one that is the easiest to apply. Turtle Wax's latest wax is their Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Pro Graphene Flex Wax. It's pricey. I got a 23oz spray bottle directly from them for $20.99 + tax, free shipping. They have since raised their price to $25.99. You can get it from Amazon for $23.99. Amazon.com: Turtle Wax 53477 Hybrid Solutions Pro Flex Wax, Graphene Spray Wax, 23 oz.: Automotive
There are 3 ways you can apply this. (see the back of bottle pic). I used the Base Coat method on my Scion FR-S and the 1-Step method on my Escape. Using the Base Coat method on my Scion FR-S I got streaking but was able to buff it out with a damp microfiber cloth. If interested here's a link to my review on the ft86club forum. Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB - View Single Post - Turttle Wax Hybrid Solutions Pro Graphene Flex Wax The 1-step method is the easiest wax application I have ever done. Wash your car, rinse, apply 2 sprays per panel, dry with microfiber cloths, buff if needed. It was overcast this morning, cool, but humid when I applied it. I saw no streaking with this method. I used it on the rubber trim and the bottom black panels, no staining or residue. I did not have to use Aerospace 303 protectant on the panels. It says you can but I did not use it on the windows.

Looks good for an almost 8 year old vehicle, born date 9/2013.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Installed mudflaps front and back.
Bought them from a US company who get them from China like everyone else I suppose. :p.
Also got some spare plastic rivets in case I broke some existing ones installing the 'flaps.
They took a little less than 2 weeks to arrive in Australia and cost around one fifth of the factory Ford ones here.
They fit fine in the existing holes in the wheel arches, no drilling required and I just used the existing rivets/pins.
Probably not as good as the the Ford ones but they seem fine and fit well and hey, they are only mudflaps, right? ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Ford Escape SE, 2.0, AWD, Electric Spice
13 Posts
Yesterday I added the Home link visor and the Apple Carplay compatible USB ports to my '16.

Previously I have added the plastic splash shield, aftermarket wheels, a new-to-me set of snow tires on the OEM wheels, and a shark fin antenna

·
Registered
573 Posts
Changed my oil toay. The change oil indicator came on at ~10,100 miles after I last changed the oil. I use Mobil 1 full synthetic oil. We have been doing a lot of interstate driving, 2 trips to FL, 3400 miles and to Welland, ON, Canada with a stop in Cincinnati, OH, ~2400 miles. On the last oil change the indicator came on at ~6000 miles, which were all city driving.
I always change my own oil, don't trust the dealers, but still managed to strip out 3 of those plastic splash shield nut inserts. While I was at the dealer for a recall I talked to them about the inserts. He told me that they keep a bunch in stock and gave me some freebies.
The back inserts are easy to replace, the front ones require a bit more work. Rahrena's video shows you how to.

1101 - 1110 of 1110 Posts