2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manual says this:
Engine oil (2.0L EcoBoost) 5.7 qt (5.4 L)
Motorcraft SAE 5W-30 Motor Oil or equivalent5 WSS-M2C946-A

I took the car to ford and they used regular oil on the 2.0l ecoboost. When I ran the part number, it gives me prem blend synthetic.
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/product.asp?product=SAE 5W-30 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil&category=Motor Oil

Which is the correct oil to use? Dealer kept saying Ford told them regular oil is ok, but they are going to change my oil with synthetic tomorrow bc I asked. So weird!

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
I thought Ford used and recommended Motorcraft Synthetic Blend across the board with all of the Escape engines? They do recommend synthetic blend with my 2.5 on my 2014 Escape.

Your WSS number is for a synthetic blend I believe? I find it hard to believe that a Ford dealership is using regular Dino oil in your Escape. Weird!!

And if they are changing it, I would think that they will be changing it to their Motorcraft synthetic blend, not a pure synthetic.

Keep us updated on this oil mystery!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Full synthetic in the Escape, an E-350 van 150,000 miles 5-20 Motor-craft blend, and a Chevy Tracker 195,000 miles fed only plain name brand motor oil 5-30. I think the secret is following the severe maintenance schedule, since 75% of the miles are stop and go city driving.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Amsoil 10W-40. I've used it in my past four cars with no issues at all, changing the oil at 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Amsoil 10W-40. I've used it in my past four cars with no issues at all, changing the oil at 5,000 miles.
Amsoil 5w30 here with Amsoil filter. Replace oil as per oil life monitor. Run Amsoil on ALL my vehicles except the senior.

2011 Chrystler 200 Convertible 3.6
2011 Suzuki VStrom DL1000
1993 Chevy S10 4.3l V6 fuel injected.
2002 Holiday Rambler Vacationer on Workhorse W22 with Chevy 8.1l V8

·
Registered
506 Posts
WIX filter and Mobile 1 5w30, change fevery 6K.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Manual says this:
Engine oil (2.0L EcoBoost) 5.7 qt (5.4 L)
Motorcraft SAE 5W-30 Motor Oil or equivalent5 WSS-M2C946-A

I took the car to ford and they used regular oil on the 2.0l ecoboost. When I ran the part number, it gives me prem blend synthetic.
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/product.asp?product=SAE%205W-30%20Premium%20Synthetic%20Blend%20Motor%20Oil&category=Motor%20Oil

Which is the correct oil to use? Dealer kept saying Ford told them regular oil is ok, but they are going to change my oil with synthetic tomorrow bc I asked. So weird!
The correct oil is the Motorcraft Synthetic Blend, 5w-30. Running full synthetic won't hurt it, running regular oil *may* hurt it, depending on what article you read. Weird that you say they used regular oil, Ford vehicles have been using synthetic blend as OEM for the longest time. In any case, good that they are replacing it for you.

I just changed my oil and used 5w-30 Mobile 1. First vehicle I have owned that I actually put full synthetic in.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
My dealer uses a 5w-30 semi synthetic blend. I change my own oil, and prefer Mobil 1 5w-30 full synthetic and Motorcraft filters. I will change both every 5000 miles. Maybe overkill, but for a $35,000 investment that's my choice.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So went back and changed oil. Paid the diff and now I have a record. Incase anything happens I will be going after the dealer

·
Registered
321 Posts
I use Mobil 1 with a premium filter. I change it myself every 6 months. :p

I could easily pay the dealer to do it but I don't trust them. I have heard way too many horror stories about screwed up oil changes. :eek:

Nobody cares more about your car than you. >:D

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
I use Mobil 1 with a premium filter. I change it myself every 6 months. :p

I could easily pay the dealer to do it but I don't trust them. I have heard way too many horror stories about screwed up oil changes. :eek:

Nobody cares more about your car than you. >:D
Though true, my mind set is car is under warranty, I do some work, the car mfg. will fault me before their vehicle, if all work was done by dealership of trained specific "professionals" if they screw it up, it will be their mess to clean up. Granted in the end, I'd pay for it, because I will be without car, and blood pressure will rise until Im satisfied etc. But, my warranty is still entact. :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
My dealer uses a 5w-30 semi synthetic blend. I change my own oil, and prefer Mobil 1 5w-30 full synthetic and Motorcraft filters. I will change both every 5000 miles. Maybe overkill, but for a $35,000 investment that's my choice.

I also use Mobil 1 Synth every 5k miles. 93 octane Shell Gas only as well. I'm picky

·
Registered
497 Posts
Sorry if I necroed (revive an old forum thread) this thread but someone over at the Scion FR-S forum posted this youtube video in their "What oil do you use" thread which I found interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ_vxdO_9nc

Anyone in Canada with an Escape ever see -40C temps? Which is also -40F.

Personally I use Mobil 1 in both my cars. Can't beat the price with rebates.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Sorry if I necroed (revive an old forum thread) this thread but someone over at the Scion FR-S forum posted this youtube video in their "What oil do you use" thread which I found interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ_vxdO_9nc

Anyone in Canada with an Escape ever see -40C temps? Which is also -40F.

Personally I use Mobil 1 in both my cars. Can't beat the price with rebates.
interesting video.
two points which may render it moot.

most won't try to start a vehicle at -40. they would have block heaters.
second, the diameters of the cap openings were different, especially the walmart, which would inhibit air getting into the bottle to let the oil flow.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I just did the first oil change a few weeks ago. I used Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 and a Motorcraft filter. I will continue to use Pennzoil Platinum as well.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'm actually kind of up in arms as to which oil to use, brand. I ordered a Purolator Synthetic filter on amazon and I'll be doing the change this weekend but I don't know what to get. For the most part price isn't an issue. I won't spend 10/qt though as it isn't THAT much better to justify it. I've used Royal Purple in the past in my Mach 1 but I don't know if it is worth spending the extra 15-20 bucks over the other brands. I was thinking about trying the new Pennzoil Platinum with their "pure plus technology". But whatever I go with I will stick to for the life of the vehicle, I don't like changing things like that. I think the biggest thing with oil is having good changing practces.

Has anybody actuall had any BAD experiences with a particular oil?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I'm actually kind of up in arms as to which oil to use, brand. I ordered a Purolator Synthetic filter on amazon and I'll be doing the change this weekend but I don't know what to get. For the most part price isn't an issue. I won't spend 10/qt though as it isn't THAT much better to justify it. I've used Royal Purple in the past in my Mach 1 but I don't know if it is worth spending the extra 15-20 bucks over the other brands. I was thinking about trying the new Pennzoil Platinum with their "pure plus technology". But whatever I go with I will stick to for the life of the vehicle, I don't like changing things like that. I think the biggest thing with oil is having good changing practces.

Has anybody actuall had any BAD experiences with a particular oil?
nope. In my non performance cars before college. I used whatever my dad got cheap from fleet farm. The oil has to meet a certain standard, and some exceed and some meet. But when you thinking about getting the best performance...think about what C7 vettes and ferarri's etc use. I think they come with mobile 1...I just use what the factory recommends and buy in bulk :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I used Royal Purple in my 2004 S10 Blazer. However, I changed the filter every 5k miles and topped off the oil and ran another 5k miles, then changed the oil and filter. All in all it cost about the same but certainly a more superior oil and has the ability to protect and clean for 10k miles.
A side note, my first time using RP I changed the oil and filter after the first 5k miles of use due to the cleaning agents in the oil cleaning the crap out of my engine and making the oil VERY dirty. After that I went with my 5k mile filter change, 10k mile oil change routine.

1 - 20 of 235 Posts