2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

181 - 200 of 235 Posts

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Concerned about how long you run your oil? Go to Blackstone Labs (not the fitness supplement company!) and get a free oil sample kit. Send it in and have your oil analyzed complete with a TBN check to see how much "life" was left in it. I did this on a restored car and it was excellent. Research the TBN rating and you may be shocked to learn that even "old" oil has not lost any of its protective qualities. Excellent company.

When I worked for Department of the Army in a maintenance shop we did this. They did a AOAP (oil analysis program). We usually just changed oil filters and kept the old oil if it tested out ok. My question is this. What does this oil analysis cost. I can do a complete oil change on my vehicle (Mobil 1 & Motorcraft filter) for about $25.00 when I get the Mobil oil rebate. Even if the analysis says my oil is good, I would still change the filter. How would these costs compare?

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 2 cents. Oil change every 7500 miles or yearly whichever is first, usually the yearly one if I am honest as I don't do many miles. I have used Mobil fully synthetic 5/30, it is what my NY dealer used or I request that at the dealer and hope they use it.

Down here in NC I will again request Mobil fully synthetic 5/30 but if they don't have that I will ask for whatever fully synthetic they have.

I always use whatever filler the Ford dealer uses.

Only 4 oil changes in this car, 5th in a few months or so, its sweet as a nut, runs smooth and quiet and I've not had any problems whatsoever with this car as of yet.

And for a bit of more piece of mind I've just taken the Flood ESP for another 3 years. Have to say this has been painless car ownership so far.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
No Payback for Oil Analysis

The Blackstone Labs Standard test is $28. You can get the test kits free and those come with a pre-paid return US Mail label.

Certainly if you DIY, and most likely even if you pay for oil change services, there's no economic payback in getting the analysis with the goal of stretching your change intervals. You simply can't stretch the intervals enough to offset the analysis cost. There's also the matter of voiding your vehicle warranty if you exceed Ford's recommended intervals no matter what the analysis says (in the extraordinarily rare circumstance of an oil-related engine failure).

If you're suspecting a particular problem (e.g. coolant contamination of oil) then maybe there's a diagnostic value in it. Otherwise, the value is purely academic, not economic.

All in the context of a street-use daily driver Escape.

IMO

Does anyone here really think there's a meaningful difference, in terms of vehicle performance and longevity, between any of the oils meeting your vehicle manufacturer specification? You can find anecdotes telling of 300,000 miles with any such oil, and none of that tells you one thing about what that owner's experience would be if they'd used a different brand for those miles. Personal preferences and brand loyalty are fine, but it's silly to claim "mine's the best". Again, IMO.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Does anyone here really think there's a meaningful difference, in terms of vehicle performance and longevity, between any of the oils meeting your vehicle manufacturer specification? You can find anecdotes telling of 300,000 miles with any such oil, and none of that tells you one thing about what that owner's experience would be if they'd used a different brand for those miles. Personal preferences and brand loyalty are fine, but it's silly to claim "mine's the best". Again, IMO.
Yes, years ago, I witnessed some lab tests on various oils, and they do perform differently, specifically in the time to sludging heating tests. In tribology (friction and wear) testing, results were similar between similar oils (synthetic vs synthetic, mineral vs mineral).

I used to follow BMW's recommendation on my '04 X3, which was 15K miles or 1 year. That was in the owners manual. Result: real bad sludging even after only 10K miles and mostly commuting back and forth to work on local and 50 mph roads. I wouldn't call that severe service. No towing, no mountains, light footed on the gas too. Not turbocharged, it was their venerable 3.0L straight 6. BMW had Castrol full synthetic as its supplier at the time, but they switched to Castrol's semi-synthetic. BMW no longer recommends 15K mile oil changes when last I looked at a BMW owners manual.

After Mobil sued Castrol over their claim of their oil being synthetic, around 1998-1999 I think. Castrol synthetic was ultra-refined from mineral oils, not molecularly constructed, as Mobil 1 was at the time to produce their PAO (Polyalphaolefin) oil base. Mobil lost the truth in advertising claim against Castrol, and now I understand that even Mobil 1 is ultra-refined from a mineral oil (aka crude base stock), and not molecularly created. It's cheaper to produce using ultra-refining.
Mobil Castrol Syntec Dispute Misleading Definition Word Synthetic
So now I change oil about every 5 months or 5K miles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'll 2nd the Mobil 1 5w-30. I change my own oil and have used this for 20+ years. I usually keep a car for 10-11yrs and put 250k-300k on them. I change every 10k. (First change at 5k).

·
Registered
282 Posts
DeltaBravo[1]
Using 5W30 won’t hurt a thing. Different weights of oil are specified for that engine in different parts of the world. For instance, Australia specs 5W30.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yes, years ago, I witnessed some lab tests on various oils, and they do perform differently, specifically in the time to sludging heating tests. In tribology (friction and wear) testing, results were similar between similar oils (synthetic vs synthetic, mineral vs mineral).

I used to follow BMW's recommendation on my '04 X3, which was 15K miles or 1 year. That was in the owners manual. Result: real bad sludging even after only 10K miles and mostly commuting back and forth to work on local and 50 mph roads. I wouldn't call that severe service. No towing, no mountains, light footed on the gas too. Not turbocharged, it was their venerable 3.0L straight 6. BMW had Castrol full synthetic as its supplier at the time, but they switched to Castrol's semi-synthetic. BMW no longer recommends 15K mile oil changes when last I looked at a BMW owners manual.

After Mobil sued Castrol over their claim of their oil being synthetic, around 1998-1999 I think. Castrol synthetic was ultra-refined from mineral oils, not molecularly constructed, as Mobil 1 was at the time to produce their PAO (Polyalphaolefin) oil base. Mobil lost the truth in advertising claim against Castrol, and now I understand that even Mobil 1 is ultra-refined from a mineral oil (aka crude base stock), and not molecularly created. It's cheaper to produce using ultra-refining.
Mobil Castrol Syntec Dispute Misleading Definition Word Synthetic

So now I change oil about every 5 months or 5K miles.
Audi had similar issues in the late 90's early 2000's with sludge. It was a combination of too low a volume oil (as little as 3.7 quarts), long change intervals they recommended and not requiring full synthetic. My wifes current 2013 vw turbo beetle also states 10K mile intervals but uses 5 quarts full synthetic only.

I use Castrol Syntec full synthetic and a Motorcraft filter for all our Ford Vehicles. Change interval is 5000-7500 miles. Usually the 5000 interval is the oil change after the summer here in AZ. The longer interval of 7500 is from the end of summer until the following year May.

A couple of shots from the inside of the Engine of our 06 V6 Escape with 150K miles. We are the original owners and I have taken care of it as described above. Very little varnish for being driven hard for 13 years in AZ. I have it apart at the moment to fix a timing cover leak. Only the Timing guides, timing tensioners, and rod bearing were replaced. Chains and oil pump are original. On the rod bearings, aside from a couple of scratches they and the crank journals are pristine with no visible wear marks. The varnish toward the one side of the crankcase is also the same side the exhaust pipe runs parallel to the engine so it gets hotter there than on the other side.

Attachments

·
Registered
353 Posts
I've used Walmart brand Synthetic in all my vehicles for years. 5 qt jug is something like $18. I've had no issues and two of my vehicles has 250K miles. My 2014 Escape has 80K. Recently changed a valve cover gasket and no sludge seen. I think any major brand is just fine as long as you regularly change oil and filter. My $0.02.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Interesting article and I've no reason or basis to take issue with any of the content, but I do wonder the basis for the "Editor's Picks" and their relative ranking?

I couldn't find anything describing the Editor's oil testing procedure (if any) nor objective ranking basis (maybe I missed it?).

The Editor's comments on each ranked product seem to be largely taken from the various oil manufactures' advertising claims and subjective 'user comments', mainly about packaging issues.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Way down on the bottom of the page. "We earn commissions from purchases you make using the retail links in our product reviews". I'm ok with that, but read the FAQs: https://www.autoguide.com/products/faq And they test how?
If you click on the Shop the Best Synthetic Oils Here link: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=synthetic+oil&_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&imprToken=1g0oByAYcaSnfYVJTvABuQ&linkCode=ur2&linkId=2eaad4778418083fa247dab8fe02947d&slotNum=23&tag=vs-tirereviewsandmore-ag3-20&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
Getting OT but good prices on AmazonBasics full synthetic oils. Manufactured by Warren Distribution or possibly just blended by them. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4827672/re-who-makes-amazonbasics-full-synthetic-motor-oil#Post4827672

·
Registered
768 Posts
I posted this as an FYI
did you know Walmart synthetic has the same specs as Mobile 1??
I have used it and it excellent oil!
I switched to Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 because it is made from natural gas!! I buy it at Walmart. less than $23.00 for 5 quart jug
Way less impurities to start with. oil comes out of the ground very dirty
Natural gas methane comes out clean and refining is a lot easier and I believe is a superior product

https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/full-synthetic-motor-oils/pennzoil-platinum.html?ds_rl=1250584&gclid=Cj0KCQiAk-7jBRD9ARIsAEy8mh5bJRqOf4mPIDHNAnp8Bo_qjI_NLnCucuyBKo4U6fyH8koTzOY4OmsaAt-IEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Guys give me your opinion!

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
....Guys give me your opinion!
My opinion is we've already got enough subjective 'what oil do you use / like' threads on this forum .... if that's where you want to take this it's time for a moderator thread-merge (and delete this post).

@Vader101 ?

·
Super Moderator
5,514 Posts
My opinion is we've already got enough subjective 'what oil do you use / like' threads on this forum .... if that's where you want to take this it's time for a moderator thread-merge (and delete this post).

@Vader101 ?
I merged with this existing thread.

·
Registered
497 Posts
A man and his oil. Don't get between them.
I have enough Mobil 1 from past rebates for about 3 more oil changes in both my cars, and lawn tractor, but I couldn't pass this rebate up. https://www.fordescape.org/forum/1112948-post1.html The rebate is good until June 30, 2019. Which oil is better.? Does it matter? They are both full synthetic.
I let my Escape's oil monitor do it's thing and change my oil when it tells me. Last oil change was at ~8700 miles, mostly city driving.

181 - 200 of 235 Posts