2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

201 - 220 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Way down on the bottom of the page. "We earn commissions from purchases you make using the retail links in our product reviews". I'm ok with that, but read the FAQs: https://www.autoguide.com/products/faq And they test how?
If you click on the Shop the Best Synthetic Oils Here link:

clickbait title, no actual testing of anything

pros/cons is just reading the label or manufacturers key points

this is par for useless articles nowadays
why i wont click anything from autoguide

·
Registered
54 Posts
For my vehicles I use full synthetic Mobile 1 20,000 mile oil and a 20,000 mile filter and then mostly rely on OLM to gauge when to change oil... OLM usually indicates oil change time in the 5,000 (mostly city stop & go) - 9,000 (mostly highway) mile range depending on driving conditions. On my vehicles with no OLM then I stick with 5,000 miles between changes.

Summer time I use 10W-30 and winter I use 5W-30.

This seems to work pretty good for me... all my vehicles last well over 200,000 miles before I decide to replace them and none have used a drop of oil between changes.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just did the first oil & filter change @3067mi/4935km using Shell Helix Semi Synthetic 5w20. Shell also now has a natural gas based oil called
Helix Ultra with Pure Plus Technology. I think I can go out on my personal limb a little farther and go to a 5000,mi/8000km regimen as many on this thread are comfortable with.
I've come up reluctantly through my life to 3000. My dad changed oil in our '53 Chevrolet every 1,000 mi and got an unbelievable for the time 105,00mi out of it. One of my early pt jobs was at an independent service station that sold "Kendall: The 2000 Mile Oil." We also sold re-refined bulk oil for $.15/qt- piston rings in a jug! The trucking company that I drove for did oil & filter changes at 20,000mi (used to do filters every other change, but ran into warranty problems with Cummins) using Chevron Delo 15w40 in their semi tractors. They'd go to 1M mi and got shipped to South America.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I use my local National Tire and Battery store. A full-synthetic with top rated Valvoline and a NAPA Gold filter, with free tire rotation, is about $70 with a coupon or other discount. I do this between every 56k miles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello guys …….. I bounce back and forth between (every other oil change) full synthetic 5W20 and synthetic blend. I am also a fanatic about my oil changes (always have been) and I change my oil every 4,000 miles, which for me is about every 2 months, as I do a lot of driving.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Best oil & filter, now thru fall, 2.0L Turbo Eco-boost engine

Hi,

Freezing temps / winter are over.

Doing an oil + filter change

Best to use / what are you guys using ?

Temps here are still cool overnight, but 50 degrees+ in the day and will soon get much warmer.

I have the twin-scroll turbo 2.0L Eco-boost engine in my 2017 Escape SE AWD

Thanks

·
Registered
771 Posts
I use Pennzoil Full Syn. oil with an Wix XP filter..The Ford filters are well made too and cheaper at Walmart. Now they recommend for Turbo GDI engines the oil be labeled SN Plus to help prevent engine knock...I change twice a year no matter the mileage....

·
Registered
209 Posts
I like Pennzoil platinum full synthetic and a Motorcraft filter. Our 2016 doesn't get driven much, its our secondary car to save miles on the wifes Edge lease when needed. I too change it once every 6 months even though its nowhere near due on mileage. Like the previous reply said Walmart is by far the best place to get oil and filters, much cheaper than the auto parts store.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I use Pennzoil Full Syn. oil with an Wix XP filter..The Ford filters are well made too and cheaper at Walmart. Now they recommend for Turbo GDI engines the oil be labeled SN Plus to help prevent engine knock...I change twice a year no matter the mileage....

is yours the same engine? If so, what SAE oil ?
I should have included that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I meant to also ask what viscosity oil, for this particular engine ? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
542 Posts
I use the Motorola filter and 5W-30 (if that's what's on the oil filter cap). I'm out of town and can't quite remember for sure which oil goes into the Escape.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
I use Mobil 1 5W-30 full synthetic, and Motorcraft FL-910S oil filter. Mobil 1 usually has a rebate offer every year. If you buy your oil at WallMart, and apply the rebate, the oil is only about $3.00 a quart.

·
Super Moderator
5,507 Posts
Hi,

Freezing temps / winter are over.

Doing an oil + filter change

Best to use / what are you guys using ?

Temps here are still cool overnight, but 50 degrees+ in the day and will soon get much warmer.

I have the twin-scroll turbo 2.0L Eco-boost engine in my 2017 Escape SE AWD

Thanks
I merged your thread with this existing thread. We really don't need yet another oil thread. We have so many as it is. Here is a thread you might like for the oil filter portion of your post

https://www.fordescape.org/forum/diy-garage/25106-what-oil-filter-do-you-use.html

·
Registered
879 Posts
Had been using Mobil 1 EP. Just bought Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic at Walmart for both our Escapes since it was mentioned that Pennzoil has a current rebate.

$3.97 Motorcraft filters at Walmart. That's such a nice change after buying more expensive VW-Audi filters for years.

I don't know it's already been discussed … I asked at my dealership, and the new B1 oil is o.k. to use. Thought it would be. Reading online, it's just another certification for LSPI (low-speed pre-ignition) for newer Fords.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Had been using Mobil 1 EP. Just bought Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic at Walmart for both our Escapes since it was mentioned that Pennzoil has a current rebate.

$3.97 Motorcraft filters at Walmart. That's such a nice change after buying more expensive VW-Audi filters for years.

I don't know it's already been discussed … I asked at my dealership, and the new B1 oil is o.k. to use. Thought it would be. Reading online, it's just another certification for LSPI (low-speed pre-ignition) for newer Fords.

What is a B1 oil?? Something new again...like SN Plus??

·
Registered
879 Posts
Looks like it's a new testing specification added for LSPI (low-speed pre-ignition).

I went to Walmart and noticed some oils were …945-A and ...945-B1 for the 5W-20 my wife's Escape takes and ...946-A and ...946-B1 for the 5W-30 I use.

Didn't feel like trying to look it up on my phone, so I went home and did a search on my laptop.

Thought it would be o.k. to get the B1 oil like it used to be in the old days (i.e., 1970s) where you could use FJ oil if your car called for FH oil. It's a higher level of testing. Went to my local dealership to ask since it's only a few miles from my house, and they said that's what it is, and we can use it.

201 - 220 of 235 Posts