2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

221 - 235 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yet another oil thread

Well, not really. Mostly oil threads deal with what is the better/best brand. I found a quote from a mechanic who has his own shop and works on top fuel dragsters. I thought what he said was informative, especially about the newer cars like our Escapes.

"With my customer cars, I put whatever oil they want in their engines. If they ask for advice, I steer them toward Valvolive products because I stock them, I am familiar with them, and the quality is great from my experience. If a customer has their favorite brand, even their favorite viscosity, I will install it for them. On late model cars, I do warn about using incorrect viscosity and I will not guarantee their "check engine" light will not come on and set codes for variable camshaft timing errors, and inability to actuate the multiple displacement system on GM, Honda, and Chrysler cars. I had one Honda V-6 that the customer insisted on 10W-30 oil in the cold weather we have in OH. Set a code and went into limp home mode, 5MPH max until I changed the oil to the 0W-20 it required. Had a 2011 Chevy truck with the 5.3L ls engine with cylinder deactivation system. His winter fuel mileage went down to 11 MPG in the city because he insisted on 20W-50 in cold weather. The engine called for 5W-30 DEXOS oil. The engine refused to go into cylinder de-activation mode with that thick goo for oil and finally set multiple codes after a few weeks. I changed the oil and the problems went away and his mileage increased to around 15 MPG in the city, winter driving. So IMO, using the recommended viscosity is important in late model cars. What brand to use is an individual decision driven mostly by advertising and anecdotal data."

Source: Amsoil - Page 8 - PY Online Forums (post#143)

·
Super Moderator
5,514 Posts
Well, not really. Mostly oil threads deal with what is the better/best brand. I found a quote from a mechanic who has his own shop and works on top fuel dragsters. I thought what he said was informative, especially about the newer cars like our Escapes.

"With my customer cars, I put whatever oil they want in their engines. If they ask for advice, I steer them toward Valvolive products because I stock them, I am familiar with them, and the quality is great from my experience. If a customer has their favorite brand, even their favorite viscosity, I will install it for them. On late model cars, I do warn about using incorrect viscosity and I will not guarantee their "check engine" light will not come on and set codes for variable camshaft timing errors, and inability to actuate the multiple displacement system on GM, Honda, and Chrysler cars. I had one Honda V-6 that the customer insisted on 10W-30 oil in the cold weather we have in OH. Set a code and went into limp home mode, 5MPH max until I changed the oil to the 0W-20 it required. Had a 2011 Chevy truck with the 5.3L ls engine with cylinder deactivation system. His winter fuel mileage went down to 11 MPG in the city because he insisted on 20W-50 in cold weather. The engine called for 5W-30 DEXOS oil. The engine refused to go into cylinder de-activation mode with that thick goo for oil and finally set multiple codes after a few weeks. I changed the oil and the problems went away and his mileage increased to around 15 MPG in the city, winter driving. So IMO, using the recommended viscosity is important in late model cars. What brand to use is an individual decision driven mostly by advertising and anecdotal data."

Source: Amsoil - Page 8 - PY Online Forums (post#143)
I merged your thread with this existing thread on what oil do you use.

·
Registered
40 Posts
this isn't news....
Of course it isn't news. I posted it because there are always dudes who out-think the manufacturer as the tech cited in his quote, like dudes who put 20w50 in a late model car. And there are members here who use 10w30 in their 5w20 vehicles, yet a thin oil like 10w30 screwed up a Honda. Never hurts to review these things. Sorry it bothered you.:(

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Of course it isn't news. I posted it because there are always dudes who out-think the manufacturer as the tech cited in his quote, like dudes who put 20w50 in a late model car. And there are members here who use 10w30 in their 5w20 vehicles, yet a thin oil like 10w30 screwed up a Honda. Never hurts to review these things. Sorry it bothered you.:(

It's hard to tell how people intend their comments to be taken. The English language is very complicated when you can't see facial expression and body language. That being said, I took SilverEscapades2017's comment to be a joke. Just my guess though. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
The only correct, undisputed and acceptable answers to this thread are:

Oil Viscosity (what you use)
Oil Type (what you use)
Oil Manufacturer (what you use)
Oil Filter (what you use)
Oil Change Interval (what you use)

But being an outlaw oil changer, I ignore all the correct, undisputed and acceptable answers and follow the manufacturers recommendations based upon my driving habits because the manufacturers knows the vehicle and I know my driving habits.

·
Registered
387 Posts
For visual comparison alone a better oil flow comparison at the end would've been the same weight oil Conventional vs Synthetic. a 15W will flow worse (slower) than any 5W regardless of what it's made out of. 15w in cold is thicker (more viscous) than 5w. Period.The flow test proves/shows nothing if you just view it out of context. I don't have audio (work) to comment on anything else.

·
Registered
387 Posts
The only correct, undisputed and acceptable answers to this thread are:

Oil Viscosity (what you use)
Oil Type (what you use)
Oil Manufacturer (what you use)
Oil Filter (what you use)
Oil Change Interval (what you use)

But being an outlaw oil changer, I ignore all the correct, undisputed and acceptable answers and follow the manufacturers recommendations based upon my driving habits because the manufacturers knows the vehicle and I know my driving habits.
Viscocity - OEM recommended
Oil Type - only Full Synthetic since we sold our 06 FE - Syn blends just mean you have some syn mixed in with conventional oil. There are no guidelines for how much syn must be present to be called a blend. In other words, oils will vary on this
Manufacturer - Castrol Syntec or Pennzoil Ultra Premium
Filter: OEM
Interval: 7,500. Tried 10K on the FE, never again. VW 10K seems to be ok, but still 7.5K.

·
Registered
387 Posts
It's hard to tell how people intend their comments to be taken. The English language is very complicated when you can't see facial expression and body language. That being said, I took SilverEscapades2017's comment to be a joke. Just my guess though. :)
You think English is hard? Japanese meanings change based on the inflection of the voice or tone and/or body language. Same words with a variation mean entirely different things. I can't even begin to imagine that mine field of communication :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Has anybody actuall had any BAD experiences with a particular oil?
Years ago, I went with Quaker State in my SVT Focus... Synthetic.
Idling, it sounded like there wasn't any oil in the engine at all!
Been using Mobile 1 ever since

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just did my first oil change on my '19 SE with 5,000 miles. (1.5 L), put 5w20 Mobil 1 - full synthetic, back in.

221 - 235 of 235 Posts