2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything I should know about getting a hybrid? I've been reading about improving mpg. Anything else? Drive in eco mode for best mpg. What about maintenance and care to get the most life out of it?

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
1,014 Posts
For the most part it's exactly the same as any other car, do the PM when it's due and you're fine.
Front brakes will last longer than you're used to due to the regenerative braking, back brakes maybe not as long since Ford's ABS system since 2013 puts the braking bias to the rear.
Unless your average trip one way is over 20 miles you more than likely will get only about 5k to an oil change in spite of the manual saying 10k (this is due to the fact that when you're on battery the engine doesn't get warm enough to evaporate the moisture out of the crankcase). If you're not going to set a lower oil change interval (me, I do it at 5k increments just like rotating tires), then rely on the oil life monitor you'll get a screen message to change the oil.

·
Registered
2020 Escape SE I3 & 2020 Titanium Hybrid
162 Posts
I almost always use eco mode, it changes the CVT transmission's operation and allows one pedal driving. With the CVT it obviously doesn't "shift" per-say but it feels fairly normal coming from a gas escape. You can drive it like a normal car or you can use the eco coach screen and see how long you can keep it in electric mode. When I got my car all of the tires were aired to 30 PSI but I aired each tire up to 40 PSI to further improve efficiency.

Reactions: cavalierrs

·
Registered
29 Posts
Expect winter will cut 5-10 MPG off of what you usually get in the other months.

Hybrids use the engine heat to heat the car and as such the engine is on MUCH more in the winter. I track my mileage and November-Feb I averaged 32 MPG in my 2020 Escape SE Hybrid and other months get around 38-40.

You can play with the accelerator to force the car to drop to electric only. Just let off the pedal when the gas engine is on and lightly tap again. You can get 1-1.5 "electric only" miles doing that at times. Helps get you in to the 40+ MPG range.

·
Registered
2020 Escape Hybrid Titanium
486 Posts
...you more than likely will get only about 5k to an oil change in spite of the manual saying 10k (this is due to the fact that when you're on battery the engine doesn't get warm enough to evaporate the moisture out of the crankcase). ...
Quite the opposite.
  • water in the oil is not a problem
  • your Escape will only count ICE miles toward the oil change. I got 15.6K on the most recent one.

I submit the oil data for my C-Max as proof of the first assertion. Water came and went for the reason you cite, but the car was fine. Note the last change was a 2-year interval, sampled twice.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
I almost always use eco mode, it changes the CVT transmission's operation and allows one pedal driving. With the CVT it obviously doesn't "shift" per-say but it feels fairly normal coming from a gas escape. You can drive it like a normal car or you can use the eco coach screen and see how long you can keep it in electric mode. When I got my car all of the tires were aired to 30 PSI but I aired each tire up to 40 PSI to further improve efficiency.
Love your recommendations, as that’s what I try to do.
Today, I drove round-trip from the Boston, MA area to Lenox, MA, which is near the NY border. I used Eco-mode to take advantage of hills. My speeds ranged from the low sixties (behind slower trucks) to the low eighties.
I averaged about 44mpg.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Quite the opposite.
  • water in the oil is not a problem
  • your Escape will only count ICE miles toward the oil change. I got 15.6K on the most recent one.

I submit the oil data for my C-Max as proof of the first assertion. Water came and went for the reason you cite, but the car was fine. Note the last change was a 2-year interval, sampled twice.
Nice to have gotten 15.8k according to the oil life monitor, however never tell your dealer that if you have an engine issue.
You failed to follow the maximum oil change interval of 10k so they have grounds to void the engine warranty (if any), this applies to third party warranties as well as Ford.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Nice to have gotten 15.8k according to the oil life monitor, however never tell your dealer that if you have an engine issue.
You failed to follow the maximum oil change interval of 10k so they have grounds to void the engine warranty (if any), this applies to third party warranties as well as Ford.
It's clear you did not research this post. EVERY WORD IS FALSE! I can only suggest you RTFM before replying again.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
It's clear you don't read the notations:
Page 491 of the owner's manual.

"At Every Oil Change Interval as Indicated by the Information Display (notation 1) Inspect the tires, tire wear and measure the tread depth.Inspect the wheels and related components for abnormal noise, wear, looseness or drag.1 Do not exceed one year or 10,000 mi (16,000 km) between service intervals."

I've had Fords for 40 years and I've seen dealers hit more than one person on failing to follow the maintenance as the basis for denying a warranty claim.

·
Registered
486 Posts
It's clear you don't read the notations:
Exactly!!!!
Manual p488.jpg Manual p485.jpg Manual p491.jpg
Paqe 489: Hybrid vehicles may achieve longer distances between oil changes,
Page 485: Your vehicle has an Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor... hybrid vehicles may exceed 10,000 mi (16,000 km)

Do your homework.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
And your actual fuel economy may vary as well any other number of disclaimers or added verbiage which in some cases describe features that are not even available for that model year (eg the ratcheting forward headrests on the 2020 Escape front seats).

Guy, I have 25+ years in transportation IT, fleet management and dealer IT, the service interval rules all when it comes to manufacturer warranty hence the reason that it's not unusual to be required to provide proof that you performed the minimum specified maintenance.

Give your dealer a call and ask what happens if you have 45k on your engine and you're only able to produce proof of three oil changes after it throws a rod or eats a piston.

Here's a neutral quote from the NC Consumers Council:
"If your engine fails and your warranty claim is denied because you changed the oil yourself, that's not good enough. If they can document that the wrong type of oil was installed, too much or too little oil used, or the oil changes weren't performed according to the maintenance schedule, they may be able to deny the claim and win "

Or the actual full Ford Warranty Guide page 2-3
"It is your responsibility to make sure that all of the scheduled maintenance is performed and that the materials used meet Ford engineering specifications. Failure to perform scheduled maintenance as specified in the Owner’s Manual will invalidate warranty coverage on parts affected by the lack of maintenance. Make sure that receipts for completed maintenance work are retained with the vehicle."

The oil life monitor is a "dumb" system, it doesn't have the ability to test the quality of the oil, cleanliness, grade or if it was actually even ever changed. What the system tracks is total number of hours of run time, ambient external temp, engine operating temp, total length of each ignition on/off cycle (not engine run cycle) from that it guestimates the remaining life. The system also maintains no history with regard as to when the life cycle reset was initiated, if the change nag was on, or the mileage, it only sets a temporary DTC which triggers the change me nag and that clears when the oil life reset sequence is initiated.

·
Registered
2020 Titanium Hybrid
26 Posts
"Failure to perform scheduled maintenance as specified in the Owner’s Manual will invalidate warranty"
Literally...

Your vehicle has an Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor system, a message appears in the information display at the proper oil change interval... hybrid vehicles may exceed 10,000 miles

-the manual

·
Registered
2020 Titanium Hybrid
26 Posts
NORMAL SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE

Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor™

Your vehicle has an Intelligent Oil-Life
Monitor that determines when you should
change the engine oil based on how you
use your vehicle. By using several
important factors in its calculations, the
monitor helps reduce the cost of owning
your vehicle and reduces environmental
waste at the same time.

This means you do not have to remember

to change the oil on a mileage-based
schedule. Your vehicle lets you know when
an oil change is due by displaying a
message in the information display.

-Ford

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Here's your problem...
Proving that your oil life monitor was giving you higher than 10k change intervals if you have to fight a denied warranty claim.

The system does not maintain a change interval/reset history history of any kind so there's nothing that can be downloaded from the vehicle as proof (yes, I have a full copy of IDS which allows me to read everything the dealer and engineering can see) and nowhere in Ford's warranty does it specifically say that following the oil life monitor alone is sufficient for warranty.

There is a reason why the warranty guide is separate document in the owner's packet and the notation is on the service schedule to never exceed 10k, it states Ford's legal warranty obligation and nowhere in the guide does it provide an exception for the Hybrid engine (the Hybrid specific components listed on the sticker comprise the CVT, HVB and it's components along with the high voltage harness only).

·
Registered
2020 Escape Hybrid Titanium - The Dark Knight
150 Posts
I found this footnote in the owners manual that may help settle this disagreement (I've bolded the relevant text from page 492:

Normal Driving schedule

Maximum 16,000KM / 10,000 miles

1 Hybrid vehicles may achieve longer distances between oil changes, but do not exceedthe 1 year max oil change interval. Remaining oil life can be accessed through theinformation display. See Information Displays (page 111)

As I read this, it's clear that Ford is saying that one year, 16,000km / 10,000 miles is the max regardless of whatever the OLM says.

NefCanuck

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Exactly....
The manual has what is basically a disclaimer on calendar months and the maintenance interval also has the notation. This also is there to cover the PHEV which if someone stays within the battery range may only see the gasoline engine run when the system forces the engine on to burn the tank down (and they get the nag for the need to refresh fuel).

Facts of life here, the majority of owners will not go 10k without an oil change nag and the system doesn't track a history which shows that you got a nag at say 8k and didn't get the oil changed until 9.5k nor does it say that you got 12k out of the previous oil change. The 10k max interval and the oil life monitor came out of an EPA requirement to reduce the amount of potential waste oil from a vehicle over its life (over 20k maybe 2-3 oil changes instead of the old mandated 5k which would be 4)

This is like Vegas, the engine falls under the 5/60 power train warranty, which is miles not hours of operation and its not about saving the planet. It's a question of do you want to roll the dice to save the cost of a couple of oil changes (because the dealer/oil change place is sending it in for recycling and getting paid for it) vs getting stuck with a denied warranty claim.

Once you're out of the 5/60, do what you're comfortable with and make sure that you CAREFULLY read the terms of any extended warranty you purchase. The Ford ESP (which can be purchased for ANY manufacture's vehicle) specifically states that coverage requires following the published manufacture's service interval, All State and the rest are all the same. There is no statement which allows an exception for an oil life monitor or the fact that a Hybrid gasoline engine actually has less hours of operation per mile than a conventional.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
If you're referring to the downhill function its really not needed unless you doing extended mountain driving where you're on a constant steep downhill slope.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you're referring to the downhill function its really not needed unless you doing extended mountain driving where you're on a constant steep downhill slope.
Yep, thanks!

Question for anyone with a 2021, does your bliss make noise when it senses a car in your blind spot?

·
Registered
2020 Titanium Hybrid
26 Posts
I found this footnote in the owners manual that may help settle this disagreement (I've bolded the relevant text from page 492:

Normal Driving schedule

Maximum 16,000KM / 10,000 miles

1 Hybrid vehicles may achieve longer distances between oil changes, but do not exceedthe 1 year max oil change interval. Remaining oil life can be accessed through theinformation display. See Information Displays (page 111)

As I read this, it's clear that Ford is saying that one year, 16,000km / 10,000 miles is the max regardless of whatever the OLM says.

NefCanuck
I read this exactly as it is written,

"Hybrid vehicles may achieve longer distances... do not exceed 1 year max interval."

"... you do not have to remember
to change the oil on a mileage-based schedule. Your vehicle lets you know when an oil change is due"

1 - 20 of 29 Posts