2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ford Escape SEL
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is intended for me to help shop for tires for my 2021 Ford Escape. From the factory they come with Michelin Primacy 225/70R17. These are good tires. However what caught my eye was the following

Bridgestone Driveguard RFT (run flat considered due to no spare)
Michelin Crossclimate2 CUV A/W (had good experience with Michelin)
Hankook Kinergy 4s2 x (H750) (had good experience with Hankook)

and all of these are on the Ford website

I have run on my Town Car the following

Kumho Solus (hated them)
Michelin LTX M/S2 (loved but expensive)
Hankook HP2 (adequate and quiet)

Admittedly back when I started driving many moons ago Goodyear was a go to tire, Firestone not so much. There were other tires but those were the mainstays. 30 years later the market has changed. What I am interested in is what you currently have on your vehicles, and what you like or don't like about your current tires. I am specifically interested in handling in all terranes, temperature, and precipitation both wet and solid. Please describe how your current tires have compared to prior tires you have.

If you have input on the selections above please let me know as well. The first 3 tires are currently on the Ford Website and are the tires I am considering. If there is another contender please let me know why you think that tire should be considered.

·
Registered
2020 Escape AWD Hybrid Titanium
662 Posts
I found the OEM Bridgestone Ecopia 422 to be far better than expected, based on tire surveys. I suspect a very good tread compound with good snow traction, but they would have barely made 40K at 2mm average depth.

I replaced them with CrossClimate2, which are quiet and comfortable in the first month. I have put them and their predecessor, CrossClimate+, on a bunch of cars, so I'm looking forward to winter.

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,899 Posts
I wanted to clarify my decision to not allow 3G owners from posting about tires they use on their 3G Escape. I understand that the 3G owners have advice on tires they purchased. However; if a 4G owner wants to know what a 3G owners has for tires. All they have to do is to check out the many 3G tire threads. There are a lot of 4G owners here that could provide their tire recommendations that work best for this generation Escape. Any future 3G Escape tire posts will be removed.

·
Registered
2021 Ford Escape SEL
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wanted to clarify my decision to not allow 3G owners from posting about tires they use on their 3G Escape. I understand that the 3G owners have advice on tires they purchased. However; if a 4G owner wants to know what a 3G owners has for tires. All they have to do is to check out the many 3G tire threads. There are a lot of 4G owners here that could provide their tire recommendations that work best for this generation Escape. Any future 3G Escape tire posts will be removed.
Even though there are differences, fbov helped as he has used that type of tire. This for me is a useful datapoint. My experience with Goodyear has not been good. My best experience has been with Michelin tires. I am not looking for cheap. What I want to know is how does the tire run in dry or wet, type of driving surface, and type of climate encountered. I live in Ohio and we see both ice and snow as well as in the summer rain. I have driven on Goodyear RSA and they were removed quickly. The same with the Kumho Solus KR17 that were on my town car. I have slowed in my age but still expect good handling and will push a vehicle to limits. I expect this of my vehicles. For Matt to post about cheap tires and a general "performs well" with no other context is not enough. I get this but I don't drive like granny. Please be thorough here as I need this to make decisions.

·
Registered
545 Posts
…..What I want to know is how does the tire run in dry or wet, type of driving surface, and type of climate encountered. I live in Ohio and we see both ice and snow as well as in the summer rain. I have driven on Goodyear RSA and they were removed quickly. The same with the Kumho Solus KR17 that were on my town car. I have slowed in my age but still expect good handling and will push a vehicle to limits.
The best input I’ve found for tire purchase decisions is Tire Rack. Here’s a link

www.tirerack.com You’ll find reviews and customer surveys

I’m probably gonna go with Michelin Cross Climate 2s when it’s time to replace my tires. I’m unhappy with the OEM Bridgestones for winter use (I live in MI). There’s also a good YouTube video on the cross climates…..check there as well.

Reactions: stalag

·
Registered
2021 Ford Escape SEL
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The best input I’ve found for tire purchase decisions is Tire Rack. Here’s a link

www.tirerack.com You’ll find reviews and customer surveys

I’m probably gonna go with Michelin Cross Climate 2s when it’s time to replace my tires. I’m unhappy with the OEM Bridgestones for winter use (I live in MI). There’s also a good YouTube video on the cross climates…..check there as well.
I am aware of Tire Rack. Their site is why I am asking the questions here. Many of the reviews are one sentence and don't reflect the use case.

·
Registered
2014 Escape SE 2.0
117 Posts
Okay.

·
Registered
2020 Escape AWD Hybrid Titanium
662 Posts
I am aware of Tire Rack. ...
I suggest waiting a bit, if possible.

Tire Rack is busily testing in snow which is a key piece of CC2 performance, and what sold me on the earlier CC+. But there are few secrets in tire technology, and no one can tell how mfrs. compare until they do the test.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
do you need to drive on ice, or anything that slippery?
if so i reccomend skipping an all weather tire and go direct to a dedicated winter tire.
in my experience driving my......(looks around shiftily)...4th gen escape........, the all weather tires just don't have the right rubber compound to properly stick to ice. the tread pattern is great in rain and snow, but they're not soft enough or the right rubber compound for ice (because they need to be able to withstand hot summer driving). for examples I've used yoko geolander Go15 (good AT tire) and kumho-solus-4s-ha32. (just adequate, but cheap)

i've heard lots of good things about the michelin crossclimate 2.

also heard good things about the Vredestein Quadtrac.

here is a good site testing all weather tires. i like because it has actual data.

·
Registered
2021 Ford Escape SEL
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
do you need to drive on ice, or anything that slippery?
if so i reccomend skipping an all weather tire and go direct to a dedicated winter tire.
in my experience driving my......(looks around shiftily)...4th gen escape........, the all weather tires just don't have the right rubber compound to properly stick to ice. the tread pattern is great in rain and snow, but they're not soft enough or the right rubber compound for ice (because they need to be able to withstand hot summer driving). for examples I've used yoko geolander Go15 (good AT tire) and kumho-solus-4s-ha32. (just adequate, but cheap)

i've heard lots of good things about the michelin crossclimate 2.

also heard good things about the Vredestein Quadtrac.

here is a good site testing all weather tires. i like because it has actual data.
Interesting you should bring up the link to tyrereviews.com. I have perused their website and it looks as if they have tested the tire they are most thorough about it. That given, I don't see massive amounts of snow but do get it and the attendant ice due to pesky temperatures just above and below freezing. I have considered snow tires and 150 miles north they would be an absolute requirement. 100 miles south and I would definitely consider all seasons. I don't have a good line on a set of OEM rims (aftermarket I just don't trust the quality) and the list prices would kill my pocket book. That said, the Crossclimate 2 tires are after additional searching would be my all around tire choice. I have had good luck with Michelin tires currently but they don't age real well past 5 years in my experience. That said, I have had good luck with the Hankook tires currently on my Town Car and the Kinergy 4s2 as a result would be considered a close second. Other tires out there just are not quite what I am looking for. I am well aware that a dedicated rubber works very well for both summer and winter, but the all season tires have had, if carefully selected, good characteristics. I tend to be spirited in my driving and in my younger years used to just floor the vehicle. This will date me but I bought a 1990 Plymouth Horizon that I got 200K out of without replacement of the clutch and the engine was well maintained. Basically it rusted out due to northern salt weather or I would still be driving it. I loved FWD and found it to be more stable than rear wheel drive. That said, the 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis and the 2001 Lincoln Town Car (still own the Town Car) are very comfortable rolling couches. I LOVE the air ride suspension. However the Escape was purchased due to age of the Town Car and I am now having issues getting into the car due to bad back and knees. The 2021 Escape is just easier to drive. Out of experience I am loath to spend money where I don't need to but a quality set enhances both braking and overall handling. A poor set is the revers. I could not get out of my old Kumho tires soon enough.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
That given, I don't see massive amounts of snow but do get it and the attendant ice due to pesky temperatures just above and below freezing.
sounds like the PNW climate. i would wager that our infreqeunt snow is far slipprier than anything in the north or midwest. it packs into ice, and then you get water on top making it the slippriest.

OEM wheels are easy to come by. Any 17" or larger wheel from a Ford Focus 2012 to now or any Escape from 2013 to now would fit (bolt pattern 5x108). search your local classified, craigslist, Facebook marketplace,etc. if you pay $400 for a set of 4 you paid too much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This thread is intended for me to help shop for tires for my 2021 Ford Escape. From the factory they come with Michelin Primacy 225/70R17. These are good tires. However what caught my eye was the following

Kumho Solus (hated them)

Admittedly back when I started driving many moons ago Goodyear was a go to tire, Firestone not so much. There were other tires but those were the mainstays. 30 years later the market has changed. What I am interested in is what you currently have on your vehicles, and what you like or don't like about your current tires. I am specifically interested in handling in all terranes, temperature, and precipitation both wet and solid. Please describe how your current tires have compared to prior tires you have.

If you have input on the selections above please let me know as well. The first 3 tires are currently on the Ford Website and are the tires I am considering. If there is another contender please let me know why you think that tire should be considered.
I just purchased 4 Michelin Pilot Alpine 5 run flat star performance snow tires in 225/60 R18 (104H ZP) from tire rack for my 2022 ESCAPE PHEV (that comes with 225/60R18 all seasons). With only Ft wheel drive - I wouldn't trust all season tires in the NY winter climate. I will do a winter tire change out on the OEM rims seasonally. For the rest of the year, the OEM all season tires are good enough until I have to replace them in 3-4 years. Costco only charges about $12 a tire to dismount, mount and balance. Better than purchasing additional rims for the snows. Also - buy a mini spare tire and steel wheel for the $100! The supplied inflator doesn't help if you have any sidewall damage, or a nail outside the tread pattern. Otherwise - you are not likely to find a matching make model and size (and this is important) tire when/if you need it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I found the OEM Bridgestone Ecopia 422 to be far better than expected, based on tire surveys. I suspect a very good tread compound with good snow traction, but they would have barely made 40K at 2mm average depth.

I replaced them with CrossClimate2, which are quiet and comfortable in the first month. I have put them and their predecessor, CrossClimate+, on a bunch of cars, so I'm looking forward to winter.
That is what came with mine. I have the same tires on my CRV. I have been really happy with them. Good tread life and decent handling without being to noisy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
For what it's worth...my research lead me to Michelin X-Ice.... I purchased 17-inch wheels from Tire Rack along with the tires. Since we get a lot of snow I wanted to have a little more space between the Wheel Well Liners and the Tires.....It's bad enough with this size as the snow and road slush as it sure does build up in the Wheel Wells..... The tires seem great for Snow and Ice driving. The extra weight of the 2021 FORD ESCAPE PHEV may help some too. Having only Front Wheel Drive after many years of AWD or Four Wheel Drive has been a real learning experience. FORD Needs to produce the ESCAPE PHEV in AWD!!!!!!

Gary
Stanley, Idaho

Reactions: Gryffindor101

·
Registered
2021 Escape Titanium PHEV Bronze Fire
87 Posts

Kumho Solus (hated them)

When I got my new 2021 PHEV Escape in Aug. it came with Michelin also. The supplied tire was a mid-grade tire rated at 55,000 miles. Two days later I removed them and replaced them with 70,000 miles rated Firestone Destination LE3 Wet & Winter Weather Tire. The car being FWD (front wheel drive only) I wanted the best tire for FWD that would hold up well with the added upfront weight in this car. I sold the Michelin for $100 each and I'm loving my choice of the Firestone LE3. Ride is great and no road noise. I have attached a photo of the door sticker and odometer from last month. Best time to buy is during a holiday they often have great sales. If you want more details just ask me. James

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Perhaps you can explain to me why you only want input from 4G owners. I am not aware of why a specific tire on one vehicle of similar weight and suspension systems would perform differently for the same driver. I believe traction, wear characteristics, handling and noise level would apply to the tire no matter what year or model you are driving.
I suggest you go to Tire Rack for reviews and select a tire best suited to your driving style, geographic location, price, etc.

Reactions: Thenorm
1 - 20 of 23 Posts