2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape SE AWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 2020 Escape SE AWD for just barely over a year, now. I have the 1.5L Dragon engine. I have just over 40,000 miles on it. Using Michelin Cross Climate 2s. Using 89 or 91 octane gas. The vehicle has been running great for me. The only thing I miss from my Focus is the 35 MPG average daily driving; the Escape gets about 28-29 daily and 32 on road trips (all these numbers from hand calculations).

However, I've heard so many people dog the 1.5L and they swear they aren't confusing the new 3 cylinder from the 4 banger. I've seen people say it's noisy, slow, and shaky, yet that hasn't been my experience (except shaky; put that thing in ECO mode, go up hill, and you'll swear that your bones will vibrate out their sockets). I've seen some posts on here expressing issues, so I thought I'd ask. How has the 3-cyl engine been treating you? Anyone with more mileage on it than me?

·
Registered
2021 Ford Escape SEL
53 Posts
1st off how do you like your Michelin tires, the Cross Climate 2 tires over the OEM Primacy's the vehicle came with? I have not tried my vehicle in eco mode but have kept it in standard. Even in standard mode I have told the dealer that I use only premium gas as the valve train noise and predetonation disappears with use of 93 octane although the manual states 87 octane gas is fine. We are adding an additional ground strap to make sure the engine and computers operate well. Other than that I have had success updating my Sync 3 system and my dealer service manager ( he is a friend as well) is keeping a look out for needed updates. Ford is noted for releasing experimental updates that can cause issues but also updates regularly modules with tested code that is an actual fix. The complex interaction of computer modules make it a bit of a nightmare to track everything regarding the updates. I have had both recalls done on my vehicle that there has been an open recall on including the oil separator. Thankfully that was not damaged at the factory. Overall the mileage is a huge step up from my 2001 Town Car. And once the engine is warm the engine smooths out. It is a bit rough running cold but here oil makes a huge difference also. I use Amsoil Signature Series only in my vehicles and the use of that oil made the valve noise even when cold diminish markedly. I also because of the turbos change out my oil on a 6 month interval. Regular maintenance makes a difference in any engine. I have driven my vehicles that I have owned through the decades for a minimum of 200,000 miles.

Regarding oils make sure you use the oils that meet specifications for your engine. Just because the oil meets viscosity standards does NOT mean it meets manufacturer specification. The specification that needs to be met is in your owners manual. Amsoil was formulated to deal with LSPI (low speed pre ignition) before any other oil synthetic or distilled was capable on the market. As of today I am certain that the Ford Motorcraft oils are reformulated now to deal with this as well as the latest DEXOS specification from GM. All manufacturers have had to deal with this and as such that oil specification in the owners manual often overlooked is important as there are still oils in the market that don't meet those specifications. What is interesting is that AMSOIL as one example has a European specification line as the formulations for those oils to meet manufacturer specifications for Mercedes, Volkswagon, BMW, Lamborghini, Maserati, etc. that are engineered for those oils during development. Looking at those specifications the formulations have to be different than what works here for GM, Ford, Chrysler, and Japanese/Korean car companies. Being European or other standard one is not superior over the other, just different enough to require choosing the correct oil for the specification. I hope this digression here helps but I am sharing what has worked for me with my 1.5L engine and prior experience.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape SE AWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1st off how do you like your Michelin tires, the Cross Climate 2 tires over the OEM Primacy's the vehicle came with?
I love them! They ride great, handle water fantastically, and did phenomenal when we got all that snow in January in Northern VA. My only complaints are 1) they are a bit noisy and 2) the tread loves gravel. Even with those minor complaints, I'll gladly buy a whole new set then these wear down.

·
Registered
2020 Escape SE I3 & 2020 Titanium Hybrid
266 Posts
My experience? It's a releiable engine with some amount of NVH/chugging due to the 8-speed transmission/cylinder deactivation in the normal mode.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
My experience? It's a releiable engine with some amount of NVH/chugging due to the 8-speed transmission/cylinder deactivation in the normal mode.
Just for curiosity, does using Sport mode reduce or eliminate the chugging due to the willingness to select a lower gear.

·
Registered
2020 Escape SE I3 & 2020 Titanium Hybrid
266 Posts
In general yes, but it doesn’t bother me enough to keep it in sport.

Reactions: wiz043

·
Registered
2022 Escape SEL
182 Posts
I've had my 2020 Escape SE AWD for just barely over a year, now. I have the 1.5L Dragon engine. I have just over 40,000 miles on it. Using Michelin Cross Climate 2s. Using 89 or 91 octane gas. The vehicle has been running great for me. The only thing I miss from my Focus is the 35 MPG average daily driving; the Escape gets about 28-29 daily and 32 on road trips (all these numbers from hand calculations).

However, I've hearon hilsd so many people dog the 1.5L and they swear they aren't confusing the new 3 cylinder from the 4 banger. I've seen people say it's noisy, slow, and shaky, yet that hasn't been my experience (except shaky; put that thing in ECO mode, go up hill, and you'll swear that your bones will vibrate out their sockets). I've seen some posts on here expressing issues, so I thought I'd ask. How has the 3-cyl engine been treating you? Anyone with more mileage on it than me?
put that thing in ECO mode, go up hill, and you'll swear that your bones will vibrate out their sockets).
My understanding is when you use ECO mode the engine only runs on 2 cylinders accounting for the roughness on hills

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape SE AWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My understanding is when you use ECO mode the engine only runs on 2 cylinders accounting for the roughness on hills
I've noticed with ECO mode that:
  • Gear shifts are sooner
  • The accelerator and brake pedals feels softer
  • The engine goes into cylinder deactivation mode sooner and tries to stay in it as long as possible
It's actually not a bad setting when driving around town or long highway driving. But yeah, when going west getting closer to the mountains/I-81, cruise control and ECO do not mix at all. It's one or the other. lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts