2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
41 - 60 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
A few more fitment pictures after a few runs on our frozen road. Going to be fun when it thaws again, but for now it is crawling to make sure we do not hurt the suspension. Also a lifetime alignment if your getting tires like these and using them properly is a great idea.
They ride great at speed, slightly bouncier when going slower, wonderful if you daily drive on rough roads.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Looks great Maine User. Thinking about doing the same thing when I get the Escape from the wife in a few months. The 18's ride quite rough and I do get out in the corn and bean fields occasionally in the spring and fall helping the father-in-law out. I wonder how much they are heavier than the stock wheels/tires??

·
Registered
38 Posts
18x8 Klasse Motorsport GT4's. Tires are Nitto Motivos 235/50R18.

Sent from my SM-T817W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Those look great! Do you happen to know the offset? They look like they stick out further than the stock 18s, and it gives the Escape a great stance
Thanks! I believe the offset is 35. The tires I went with also have the reinforced side walls so the push out passed the rim a little bit. Definitely has a wider stance than the stock 17's I had.

Sent from my SM-T817W using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,485 Posts
If you were looking at a 19x8.5" rim I'm thinking an offset of 45mm would be best (out of a choice of 40mm or 45mm)?

The stock offset for 19x8 is 52mm and I want to keep the option open for 255/40R19 tyres. (I see that 255/40 has been fitted to a stock 19x8" rim on the first page, but the preferred minimum rim width for that tyre is 8.5".)

Has anyone weighed the stock 19" rim? I got a figure of 23kg for the Y spoke design 19x8 with a virtually new Continental ContiSportContact 5 234/45R19. I haven't been able to find a published weight figure for that exact model tyre.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
i'd be fine with 255 on a 8".
my Mustang has a 285 on a 19x9", which will bulge slightly more. 255mm + 1inch (25mm) < 285mm.
they are the same diameter tires.

·
Super Moderator
3,485 Posts
The laws are stricter in Australia. I don't think the average tyre shop would fit a tyre that wasn't within the recommended width range- because they'd have some liability if the tyre failed. The laws are also strict with track changes and tyre diameter changes (compared to the list on the door placard.)

Mind you, I have seen at least one older model Jap (drift) car on the streets with over stretched tyres. It probably got defected fairly quickly.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
The laws are stricter in Australia. I don't think the average tyre shop would fit a tyre that wasn't within the recommended width range- because they'd have some liability if the tyre failed. The laws are also strict with track changes and tyre diameter changes (compared to the list on the door placard.)

Mind you, I have seen at least one older model Jap (drift) car on the streets with over stretched tyres. It probably got defected fairly quickly.
i understand that. the first shop i went to wouldnt install them because they had a load rating of 99, and the door placard says 100. the difference was trivial, but liability.....

·
Super Moderator
3,485 Posts
Yes, tyre load rating is another aspect I hadn't thought of. Thanks for mentioning it.

Edit: I just had a quick look on an Aussie tyre site and there is a decent selection of 255/40R19 tyres with a 100 load rating.

·
Super Moderator
3,485 Posts
Another thing I forgot- what is stock wheel centre (or center :) ) bore?

I've found 63.3, 63.36 and 63.4mm mentioned?

·
Super Moderator
3,485 Posts
It seems 63.4mm is the generic hub ring size given for Jaguar/ Ford/ Volvo when buying alloys.

I've taken the plunge and am ordering 19x8.5" rims with a 45mm offset. For the tyres (once my 235/45R19 Continentals wear out) I think I'll go for the middle ground and buy 245/45R19. From what I've seen my Kuga's speedo reads a bit lower than the actual GPS speed- so the slightly higher sidewall will hopefully make it more accurate.

41 - 60 of 184 Posts