2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
2014 Ford Escape SE 2.0t
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several years ago, I accidently drove over a patch of black ice and hit a curb with the Escape. Mercifully, there was no mechanical damage (my pride was hurt...) however, the wheel took some curb damage. It didn't bother me then, but I put off repairing it since the car came with the optional PVD chrome wheels. Now, after doing a headlight retrofit and Kuga tail lights, it's time to give the wheels some love.

I inquired about wheel repair, but the shop said that they don't do chrome wheels. Is this true or is it BS? I also thought about powered coating the wheels silver, but it would cost approximately $650 to do the whole set. The last option is Focus ST snowflakes, but my head is telling me that the three-millimeter difference in offset might affect the car negatively. That's not including the cost to obtain a set of ST snowflakes and new tires.. Thoughts? Attached is the damage inflected. Feel free to criticize 馃槀
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Locking hubs
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Locking hubs

Registered
I would imagine they would have to repair and rechrome the whole wheel if you can indeed find someone near you that can do that but no doubt it would be expensive.
Perhaps you could check the price of a new matching wheel or try and get one from a car wreckers and retain the damaged one as a spare.

These people may be worth checking but there are others around in the Missouri area where I believe you reside if you do a google search, so obviously chrome wheel repairs and rechroming can be done depending on how bad the damage is I suppose.

Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
That's a nicely chewed PVD chrome wheel and you're going to have problems finding a repair shop just like anyone with a CNC machined wheel.
I search the JY, car-part.com or Detroit Wheel and Tire.

Registered
2014 Ford Escape SE 2.0t
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would imagine they would have to repair and rechrome the whole wheel if you can indeed find someone near you that can do that but no doubt it would be expensive.
Perhaps you could check the price of a new matching wheel or try and get one from a car wreckers and retain the damaged one as a spare.

These people may be worth checking but there are others around in the Missouri area where I believe you reside if you do a google search, so obviously chrome wheel repairs and rechroming can be done.
That's a nicely chewed PVD chrome wheel and you're going to have problems finding a repair shop just like anyone with a CNC machined wheel.
I search the JY, car-part.com or Detroit Wheel and Tire.
I previously found a set of the silver version of this exact wheel (including new tires) on FB marketplace, but I still have a lot of life left on my current ones. My head says to be pragmatic and find a single chrome wheel, but my heart says ST snowflakes or silver powder coat. I like chrome, but a little less of it will (I think) make the car look better.

Registered
Several years ago, I accidently drove over a patch of black ice and hit a curb with the Escape. Mercifully, there was no mechanical damage (my pride was hurt...) however, the wheel took some curb damage. It didn't bother me then, but I put off repairing it since the car came with the optional PVD chrome wheels. Now, after doing a headlight retrofit and Kuga tail lights, it's time to give the wheels some love.

I inquired about wheel repair, but the shop said that they don't do chrome wheels. Is this true or is it BS? I also thought about powered coating the wheels silver, but it would cost approximately $650 to do the whole set. The last option is Focus ST snowflakes, but my head is telling me that the three-millimeter difference in offset might affect the car negatively. That's not including the cost to obtain a set of ST snowflakes and new tires.. Thoughts? Attached is the damage inflected. Feel free to criticize 馃槀
3mm different in offset is nothing. there will be ZERO negative effects.
get the snowflakes if you like them. these cars are very forgiving to different wheel sizes and tire sizes.

or buy a single new chrome wheel. here is the part number.

Registered

Registered
2014 Ford Escape SE 2.0t
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the options! In the short-term, I'm thinking of buying the one chrome wheel and calling it a day. Finding one will be another challenge... I need to fix the cracking driver's seat. (Or make more excuses lol)

Registered
2014 Ford Escape SE 2.0t
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
I'd get the wheel out of your local dealer (sometimes parts.ford.com is cheaper for some reason).
$183 +tax for a new rim is better than what's out on eBay, you just have to return the bad rim to the dealer to get the $50 core charge back after the replacement is mounted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts