Registered
285 Posts
Odd...we'll try the photo again:
20191118_174249.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,888 Posts
Mine is sort of similar, but a different layout. It does have the "2.0" and VEP ("Vehicle Engine Plant" perhaps???) followed by a 3 digit number. Google didn't help seeing if any of the numbers corresponded to anything useful.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine is sort of similar, but a different layout. It does have the "2.0" and VEP ("Vehicle Engine Plant" perhaps???) followed by a 3 digit number. Google didn't help seeing if any of the numbers corresponded to anything useful.
I'd suspect yours was maid in Valencia, Spain: Valencia Engine Plant

·
Super Moderator
2,888 Posts
I'd suspect yours was maid in Valencia, Spain: Valencia Engine Plant
Yes, I know they're made in Valencia. I was just looking for proof on the sticker- like on the US built 2.0l EcoBoosts. But it seems there's no conformity between engine plants with the stickers.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Here is a neat tool to locate all of Fords plants. If you navigate to the plant and look under “details” you will see what is made at that location.

·
Super Moderator
2,888 Posts
Here is a neat tool to locate all of Fords plants. If you navigate to the plant and look under “details” you will see what is made at that location.

Yes, that's the site I linked to back in post 15.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Yes, that's the site I linked to back in post 15.
Great! Probably didn’t notice because they were hidden in the hyperlink.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
After reading this article it sounds like Ford uses a mix of in-house and externally sourced blocks and heads, Maybe Nemak does some of the casting.

Around the block

A short article relating to Nemak.

Nemak has a worldwide presence supplying castings to auto manufacturers. So if your engine was assembled in Spain, it may have been casted overseas. I’m just speculating here, so don’t quote me. I’m going to give the Cleveland Engine Plant #1 a call next week (since my engine sticker says Cleveland) and ask them about the castings. From the articles I’ve read it’s seems standard to machine the blocks at the engine plants.

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
After reading this article it sounds like Ford uses a mix of in-house and externally sourced blocks and heads, Maybe Nemak does some of the casting.

Around the block

A short article relating to Nemak.

Nemak has a worldwide presence supplying castings to auto manufacturers. So if your engine was assembled in Spain, it may have been casted overseas. I’m just speculating here, so don’t quote me. I’m going to give the Cleveland Engine Plant #1 a call next week (since my engine sticker says Cleveland) and ask them about the castings. From the articles I’ve read it’s seems standard to machine the blocks at the engine plants.
I am curious as to what type response, if any, you get from them. My experience is that Ford plays things very close to the best when it come to providing engineering information if any kind.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes, I know they're made in Valencia. I was just looking for proof on the sticker- like on the US built 2.0l EcoBoosts. But it seems there's no conformity between engine plants with the stickers.
Which is rather strange... to say the least. I mean, you'd expect some sort of common global codified system or what not, right? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Post your Engine Size and Model Yr. and where and when your engine was made..Sticker on passenger side of engine near engine mount...Maybe a pattern will show on up on Coolant loss engines....
I've thought this myself. Problem solving 101 would be for Ford to cross-reference all the problem engines so far to see if there is a certain plant or certain mold producing the bad engines. Surely they've done this but who knows - maybe the bad engines are coming from multiple plants. I'm frustrated that after six years of problems they have just now issued the Field Service Bulletin (19B37) to reprogram the PCM to try to help the issue. Who knows if it will do anything.

Reactions: chrisgb

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
I've thought this myself. Problem solving 101 would be for Ford to cross-reference all the problem engines so far to see if there is a certain plant or certain mold producing the bad engines. Surely they've done this but who knows - maybe the bad engines are coming from multiple plants. I'm frustrated that after six years of problems they have just now issued the Field Service Bulletin (19B37) to reprogram the PCM to try to help the issue. Who knows if it will do anything.
My dad was in the auto industry. Growing up, he told me that the manufacturer knows the cost of everything down to the bolt. I have to believe that they know the details of every part in the vehicle but it is all proprietary. They keep this stuff close to the vest. Likely, they have established protocols for failures that trigger everything from a TSB to a recall.

Reactions: eelecurb

·
Super Moderator
2,888 Posts
Which is rather strange... to say the least. I mean, you'd expect some sort of common global codified system or what not, right? :rolleyes:
Yes, particularly when Ford is such a large global company with parts being made all over the world.

I did notice on the Ford Media kits for the new Escape they listed Valencia and Cleveland for the 2.0l twin scroll EcoBoost. There was also Chihuahua Mexico for the 1.5l 3cyl EcoBoost IIRC?

Here it is: https://media.ford.com/content/dam/...roduct/2020/escape/2020-Escape_Tech-Specs.pdf

·
Registered
2017 Escape SE, 2.0, 4WD
17 Posts
My 2017 Escape had a sticker on it like the one in ralph7up's picture in post number 14 of this thread, but it's not there any more. I do remember that the sticker said the engine was from Cleveland, I don't remember the date. I think it was the summer of 2016. It's a 2.0. No coolant issues. 103,090 miles as I write this. I bought it Dec. 2018 with 100,000. I wonder if there's a way to figure out the build date of the engine from the VIN? Or that sticker on the other end of the engine that other members have shown? Had a timing cover gasket leak a couple months ago. Ford dealer fixed it, that's when the sticker disappeared.

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
My 2017 Escape had a sticker on it like the one in ralph7up's picture in post number 14 of this thread, but it's not there any more. I do remember that the sticker said the engine was from Cleveland, I don't remember the date. I think it was the summer of 2016. It's a 2.0. No coolant issues. 103,090 miles as I write this. I bought it Dec. 2018 with 100,000. I wonder if there's a way to figure out the build date of the engine from the VIN? Or that sticker on the other end of the engine that other members have shown? Had a timing cover gasket leak a couple months ago. Ford dealer fixed it, that's when the sticker disappeared.
Build date of engine should be pretty close to vehicle assembly date noted on frame of drivers door.

·
Registered
24 Posts
IMHO, not from the VIN, as that's chassis...

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
IMHO, not from the VIN, as that's chassis...
Yes, it is the chassis but absent engine build date from sticker on engine chassis may be close enough.

·
Registered
2017 Escape SE, 2.0, 4WD
17 Posts
Thanks ralph7up.
Looks like it was built in the summer of 2016. Since the sticker is gone, any way to be certain it's from Cleveland?

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
Thanks ralph7up.
Looks like it was built in the summer of 2016. Since the sticker is gone, any way to be certain it's from Cleveland? View attachment 76054
not that I am aware of. My GUESS is that if you purchased in continental US and sold from US dealer it likely was. Others may gave a better answer. I do know that the online WSM which lists details for the purchase of my 2018 does NOT give the details of where the engine was built.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts