2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
All good questions. The only clue we have right now is the PCM update for 1.5’s that runs the coolant pump after engine shut-off. My guess is the PCM reads what the temp is and this dictates if and how long the coolant is circulated. Maybe a heat spike after shut down is affecting the head gasket. My question is, why is Ford replacing with both long blocks and short blocks. Why not just the head gasket? Lots of questions for sure.
To add to the speculation, I had my 2018 in for service the other day and asked about the FSM affecting the 2.0 EB in a certain year range regarding loss of coolant. Service manager told me it was a warped head and gasket issue. IS HE CORRECT??? My money says he is guessing. Based on my experience with Ford on my 2013 Escape 1.6, only Ford engineering knows what the deal is and they are not saying.

Reactions: chrisgb

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
To add to the speculation, I had my 2018 in for service the other day and asked about the FSM affecting the 2.0 EB in a certain year range regarding loss of coolant. Service manager told me it was a warped head and gasket issue. IS HE CORRECT??? My money says he is guessing. Based on my experience with Ford on my 2013 Escape 1.6, only Ford engineering knows what the deal is and they are not saying.
He may be correct. The most common cause of cylinder head warping is overheating. ... This can cause the head gasket to fail, which may lead to cylinder head cracking as the components warp and pressure begins to leak. And of course a cracked head has the same symptoms; smoke, low coolant, poor performance, etc.

And a warped head may cause more lateral movement in an open deck design, resulting in the coolant loss. That might explain why some folks are getting the long block and some the short block. Some have warped heads and some folks don’t. Whatever it is, it’s worrisome.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
And this just posted on BO forum.

“Scroll back up to YT90SC's posting that shows a picture of a block. The problem is with the saw cuts between the cylinders, so just replacing the head gasket does nothing, except possibly be a short-term fix. Maybe, with the new programming, just replacing the head gasket is feasible. That may not have been determined yet.
As mentioned before, they only replace the heads/long block if the spark plus are seized in the head, otherwise, they re-use it. I did not see the block they installed in mine, but I understand that the saw cuts are no longer there, replaced by drilled holes.”

Smells like a recall is on the cusp. Classic example of an auto manufacturer that has a problem, but because the numbers aren’t high enough for public outcry and no injury has occurred, the can is kicked down the road.

Reactions: saintdaniel

·
Registered
285 Posts
Smells like a recall is on the cusp. Classic example of an auto manufacturer that has a problem, but because the numbers aren’t high enough for public outcry and no injury has occurred, the can is kicked down the road.
IDK, with the way Ford handled/is handling the PowerShift transmission, I think it will take action from the Feds to persuade Ford to take more action on these engines than they currently are.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
IDK, with the way Ford handled/is handling the PowerShift transmission, I think it will take action from the Feds to persuade Ford to take more action on these engines than they currently are.
Very true. The PowerShift, power steering column on pre 2013 Escapes and the rust issues are all great examples of kicking the can down the road.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just anyone who wants to contribute, especially those with the problem if they locate the sticker before they turn it in...My info I gave...No problem with mine, so far...?
Ford recall “ Customer Satisfaction Program” # 19B37
Coolant loss, no reason stated, but a possible fix involving a computer calibration reprogram. This means they want to turn down the boost to keep the head gasket from lifting and pulling coolant into the cylinders. This fix is low dollar quick fix and could cost us power under boost. They want to avoid a head gasket replacement and a lot of dollars per vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Coolant loss, no reason stated, but a possible fix involving a computer calibration reprogram. This means they want to turn down the boost to keep the head gasket from lifting and pulling coolant into the cylinders. This fix is low dollar quick fix and could cost us power under boost. They want to avoid a head gasket replacement and a lot of dollars per vehicle.
Not necessarily. It may be something as simple as programming the fan to stay on longer. All we are is speculating.

Reactions: Vader101

·
Registered
285 Posts
There's a whole thread devoted to the FSA: Field Service Action 19B37

No one that has had it done has noted any loss of performance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not necessarily. It may be something as simple as programming the fan to stay on longer. All we are is speculating.
Keeping a fan on longer? If coolant is being consumed.... it’s leaving by way of a cylinder, if it were over heating then all kinds of codes would be going off. None are. Coolant level checks? Oh! We have no clue we’re that darn coolant could be going. Boost is lifting the head, coolant is being pulled into the cylinder and Bye Bye it goes.
Keeping a fan on longer wouldn’t make a difference one way or another.
Try this question at a tuners forum on any car with boost... same answer.

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Keeping a fan on longer? If coolant is being consumed.... it’s leaving by way of a cylinder, if it were over heating then all kinds of codes would be going off. None are. Coolant level checks? Oh! We have no clue we’re that darn coolant could be going. Boost is lifting the head, coolant is being pulled into the cylinder and Bye Bye it goes.
Keeping a fan on longer wouldn’t make a difference one way or another.
Try this question at a tuners forum on any car with boost... same answer.
Everyone is entitled to their own speculation/opinion.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts