2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Ford Escape 2014 S 2.5L L4 FWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I searched around here and didn't find my specific question. The Fusebox under the glove box have the spare fuse 87 (F87 7.5A) which I want to use for a dash cam that turns off with key (ACC). My ford Escape 2014 got its battery drained twice now, when I forget to disconnect the dashcam from the 12v power outlet. Even by leaving the dashcam's cable connected while the camera itself is disconnected from the cable, the battery somehow gets drained. After jumpstarting, I disconnect the jump starter kit, then I shut down the engine and then turn it back on without the jump starter, and the battery is fine with full 12v-14v (according to multimeter), and the car starts fine.

Given that, I decided to hardwire the camera to the front passenger fuse box to tap into fuse 87, the problem is that in my specific car unit this fuse has no power when the manual says is there spare. Fuse 58 (F58 5A) is also spare, but is not ACC... Is always on. The only option I have is to use F86 10A (Airbag Module) which is ACC, but that's a risk. I don't want my airbag fuse to blow before I need it the most in a car accident, or some sensor getting messed up as this fuse descriptions says "Air bag module, Occupant classification system, Passenger air bag deactivation indicator". I have an irrational fear of this airbags getting triggered with no car accident, out of nowhere, because of me messing up with that.

I used a multimeter to test fuse 87 with both the engine on and off. There was no power. Which relay is responsible for sending power to fuse 87? All other fuses, including Moonroof Fuse80 20A, are not ACC.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,673 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There's a dash cam thread here which will help answer your questions. Fuse F85 would be the one to use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Welcome to the forum. There's a dash cam thread here which will help answer your questions. Fuse F85 would be the one to use.
Hi, and thanks for your prompt response.
I did read that thread and fully understood. Although I don't understand why fuse 87 don't have power in my specific car.. Fuse 85 is described as "electronic 15 feed" on my manual. Is that what you mean? Idk what manual book mean with that. 😅

Edit: I just used the multi-meter and found that F85 is indeed ACC. I didn't consider it before because I didn't know what was that fuse for. But I'll use that one instead and change the fuses to 7.5A. Thanks murcod.

·
Registered
2018 Ford Escape SE, Ingot Silver
12 Posts
F87 is the fuse for the heated steering wheel, if I recall correctly. My 18 SE has ACC only power to F87 and no heated steering wheel, but your mileage may very (obviously you do not have it).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
F87 is the fuse for the heated steering wheel, if I recall correctly. My 18 SE has ACC only power to F87 and no heated steering wheel, but your mileage may very (obviously you do not have it).
Hi, Yes, mine didn't have any fuse on F87 passing power to anywhere. Is empty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts