2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm considering an escape. I'm looking to DD it, possibly take it on trips if it gets good enough gas mileage (32+), and occasionally tow 2400LBS out of town. which engines should I consider? which ones should I definitely avoid?

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Hello, I'm considering an escape. I'm looking to DD it, possibly take it on trips if it gets good enough gas mileage (32+), and occasionally tow 2400LBS out of town. which engines should I consider? which ones should I definitely avoid?
You can read the detailed threads on this board regarding engine issues. Personally, I would steer clear of the open deck tubo engines. I now have one much to my chagrin but I also am under warranty and have an extended warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Thank you for the response, I've heard of these issues. Are any of them closed deck?
As far as I know, for MY 2020 only the Atkinson engine is closed deck.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
open or closed deck. i personally don't think its an issue as others make it to be. if open decks were exploding left right and centre. we'd hear a lot more about it, and manufacturers would be using it. but that is the story for another thread, im not gonna debate further here.

the smaller engines, cap out at 2000lbs towing. so you'll want the 2.0.
also in theory, the 2.0 officially only has 3500lb towing with the factory tow package. so take that into consideration. non factory hitches have demonstrated it capible of towing 3500, but you may be on the wrong side of your morals/law/insurance/risk tolerance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have a problem with the open deck design, though I don't understand why they don't at least support them in spots along the sides to add rigidity, just because the rods are going to apply force in that direction because of physics. I'm worried about the cracked block and head head gasket problems certain open deck fords are known for. If I owned it from new I would be less worried because I don't beat my engines, but buying it used especially I don't want to buy an engine known for it..

·
Super Moderator
2,224 Posts
The older 2.0l EcoBoost engine is supposed to have a closed deck block- the engine before they brought out the "twin scroll turbo" update. Someone in the US will be able to tell you model years. As mentioned it's perhaps not the fact the newer engines are open deck, perhaps more Ford's implementation of it (particularly in the original 1.5l 4 cylinder EcoBoost.)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you all, we're looking at several options, the wife didn't like the comfort of the escape, but if she likes the titanium's seats, or newer ones, we'll definitely look for the 2L!

·
Registered
46 Posts
As others have said I would avoid the 1.6 and 1.5 to a lesser extent based on all I’ve read. The 2.0 is probably the one you’d be looking at, but I don’t think any vehicle in this class credibly gets above 28 MPG combined. There have been some reports of earlier block issues on the 2017+ dual scroll 2.0 but overall these are minor as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, I am getting about 35 highway and 25 city so far on this loaner. Not super impressive, but not terrible given the vehicle's size.

·
Registered
478 Posts
yeah, I am getting about 35 highway and 25 city so far on this loaner. Not super impressive.....
Apparently fuel efficiency is a key consideration for you. I suggest you consider the 2020 FE Titanium Hybrid....EPA mileage is 37 highway and 43 city overall 40 (AWD)…..I'm averaging 43 overall....though no road trips yet...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah, I don't see finding one of those for $10000. I've been disappointed with car companies and their lack of interest in real aerodynamic efficiency. With all the random, relatively lame examples of cars that have come fully belly panned in the last 10 years, I'm baffled why they don't just give every vehicle full belly pans and a rear diffuser for really easy good MPG. Small displacement turbocharged engines are definitely a stp in the right direction, CVTs that are allowed to be constantly variable and not stepped for customer satisfaction, and highly refined aero would all be easy, low hanging fruit, along with making every car a hybrid. All these technologies are advanced enough by now to be reliable, and are being implemented by companies like toyota for surprisingly small sums of money.

·
Registered
478 Posts
yeah, I don't see finding one of those for $10000......
If 10K is your limit you’re obviously looking for a several year old model....my 2013 FE Titanium 2.0L AWD was worth 9.5K on a trade (dealer listed it at 12.9K) that’s with 99K miles. My all in MPG was 25.3....overall I was very satisfied with the vehicle...that’s why I went with an Escape again. I had no issues with the 2L....realistically you’re not gonna come close to 32+ mpg even with the 1.6L (BTW I would stay away from that engine).

For comparison, I have about 6.5K on my 2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD overall MPG is 29.1 (2.5L non turbo) still not 32+ but better than the FE....I doubt you’ll find anything getting close to 32+ in that class vehicle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can't stand owning a vehicle that can't get 35mpg on the highway. I've gotten rid of vehicles for it, and it's the reason my wife's cars don't usually get many miles on them. My cruze doesn't get under 34 in the city and 50 highway, and so far when I drive the escape I don't get under 25 city and 35 highway. Next weekend will be the real test when we take an 8 hour road trip

·
Registered
813 Posts
  • The weight is the main issue. Hard to get an average of 30 + mpg out of a 1.7 tonne SUV regardless of brand, engine type and streamlining unless it is a hybrid..:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah. I would love to get a plug in hybrid model, if they exist, as long as they would be able to tow 3500lbs

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Low rolling resistance tires (which have a mutually gotten pretty good in the last 5 years), aero, and efficient drivetrains definitely go a long way. Heck, one guy got over 100mpg out of a Honda civic with aero alone, and the tesla model x is a very efficient suv, and light it ain't .

·
Registered
813 Posts
Low rolling resistance tires (which have a mutually gotten pretty good in the last 5 years), aero, and efficient drivetrains definitely go a long way. Heck, one guy got over 100mpg out of a Honda civic with aero alone, and the tesla model x is a very efficient suv, and light it ain't .
Isn't the Tesla electric though?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts