2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
I can't stand owning a vehicle that can't get 35mpg on the highway. I've gotten rid of vehicles for it, and it's the reason my wife's cars don't usually get many miles on them. My cruze doesn't get under 34 in the city and 50 highway, and so far when I drive the escape I don't get under 25 city and 35 highway. Next weekend will be the real test when we take an 8 hour road trip
You should be able to hit the 35mpg hwy. I can with my 2018 4WD 1.5L. But that's on 55mph rural roads with 30-45 mph towns. 75-80 mph freeway yields 29-30 mpg for me. I think the best milage for an Escape would be a FWD 2.5L I-4

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
2014 escape se awd 2.0t. This one has much less rust, the blend door motor doesn't make a noise, and the wind whistle isn't as bad. I think the tires are why, but this one is getting less mpg, but still around 30

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello, I'm considering an escape. I'm looking to DD it, possibly take it on trips if it gets good enough gas mileage (32+), and occasionally tow 2400LBS out of town. which engines should I consider? which ones should I definitely avoid?
2.0 you can tow,but forget 32 mpg.I avg 22 all highway.Useless you drive 55 and stay out of the turbo.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you can find an escape that will get above 30 MPG and tows for under $10k I would highly recommend buying it. When I bought mine, and under $14k were beat up, high mileage and few options. I don’t think comparing crossovers to a Cruze is a fair comparison, you’re talking a much larger heavier and less wind resistant vehicle due to its size.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wants 35mpg, tows 3500, under 10k$ and comfortable for the wife.

Good luck friend
Really... That's a LOT to ask of one vehicle.
I drive a lot of miles, but fuel economy has always been way down on my list of priorities, as other ownership costs are more signifncant, and performance and reliability is more important to me than that last 5 or 10 mpg. ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
We still have our 14 2.0 titanium. Got it new now has 92k on it. Only issues have been roof leak fixed under warranty (after third try) driver side wheel bearing and the sunroof glass part stopped working. Vinyl shade still works, and just now have a check engine for purge valve apparently its common problem, videos all over youtube about it. Every single bulb and light is original and everything works. I didnt have high hopes for these little cars but its been a good one. Mpg has been 22-23 town driving and 26-28 on trips. Looking back im glad we got the 2.0. Even if you have to clean the intake valves yourself one day it doesnt seem like a big deal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Since this is a car replacement, being chevy, Ford, and Chrysler don't make cars anymore, not to mention both are small displacement, turbocharged engines, I think it's perfectly reasonable to compare them. I'm not saying escapes have to get 50mpg, but 35 isn't unreasonable. I'll run these tires until they wear out then replace them with low rolling resistance ones.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Since this is a car replacement, being chevy, Ford, and Chrysler don't make cars anymore, not to mention both are small displacement, turbocharged engines, I think it's perfectly reasonable to compare them. I'm not saying escapes have to get 50mpg, but 35 isn't unreasonable. I'll run these tires until they wear out then replace them with low rolling resistance ones.
trying to get 35 from a 3rd gen escape is unreasonable. Not gonna happen

·
Registered
813 Posts
trying to get 35 from a 3rd gen escape is unreasonable. Not gonna happen
The best average I ever got out of my Aussie model was 7.9L/100km.(Aussie litres) which is equivalent to around 29.9mpg. US with mixed city and highway driving. I would imagine you could squeeze another 2 or 3mpg out of it with all highway driving but certainly not consistently.
I am not saying 35mpg in these 2 litre turbos is not achievable albeit briefly, just that it is rare and I doubt you could average that figure even over a long highway only journey.

·
Registered
118 Posts
it happened, and it seems I'm not the only one capable of it
It sounds like you'll always find something negative about anything said here. You say you've found what you're looking for, but haven't bought anything. You also seem to be in awe of all the latest technology.
Aero is the biggest voodoo of all and more isn't always better. We used to think belly pans would get stock cars around Daytona faster. They don't. All they did was make the car a bear to drive. People complain, everything looks alike. Well, that's because there is only one 'best' aero shape, for practicality sake, in each class of vehicle, and everyone is closing in on it.
Automotive engineers and designers are all a lot smarter these days, and work together to match up everything as humanly possible, to give you the best they can, in a specific category, and price range.
Go with the tried and true, even if that's only at least two or three years on the road. Along with that, you will know from other people's experience, what to expect, and what may be different, when it's trying to tell you there's a problem.

·
Super Moderator
5,874 Posts
it happened, and it seems I'm not the only one capable of it
With your towing capacity wants, you are limited to the 2.0L. It is possible to get 32+mpg with this engine. But you really have to baby it and keep your speed low on the highway. Would be very hard to get 32+ in the city with stop and go traffic.

Now with all of this being said. I think this thread has run its course. You asked your question, which has been answered multiple times. You are also contradicting yourself I thought you said you found an FE that meets your criteria? In another one of your posts you said that the true test of this is an upcoming 8 hour road trip. Where you borrowing a FE for this, or did you already buy one?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
We borrowed, then bought one. The road trip will tell us what mpg it will get, which is 35mpg. It bothers me when people refuse to believe when someone posts mpg numbers higher than theirs. Just because I don't treat every stoplight like a drag race and go 90mph doesn't mean I don't get those numbers. This was in a 55mph area (it's all 55 up here) , but very hilly with the ac blasting

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I'm considering an escape. I'm looking to DD it, possibly take it on trips if it gets good enough gas mileage (32+), and occasionally tow 2400LBS out of town. which engines should I consider? which ones should I definitely avoid?
They only offer 2 engines on the '20 model, the 1.5L, 3 cylinder would get better gas mileage but for towing you would probably want the 2.0L, 4 cylinder, but I think it is only offered in the Titanium series. Be careful of the older 1.6L and 1.5L engines. I have a '17 model with a 1.5L and just had to have the block replaced with less than 20K miles for coolant leaking into the cylinders.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts