2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone.

My beloved Dory (my escape) has what I believe is a failing rear differential. Bought it used in May of 2019 and I’ve put almost 20k miles on it since then. Anyways, I’ll cut to the problem. So around 40 MPH and up I get what sounds like a whining / whirring noise in the rear end which makes me question if my differential is going bad. I’ve never changed the fluid in it (creeping up to 68k miles here in a few days or so, I have a long commute to work). The noise seems to go away at 65 and above. It will go away temporarily for a few seconds when I take my foot off the gas but it comes back at a different pitch. Really hoping a fluid change might help but to me it sounds like I might just be wasting money. i am aware of the TSB that’s out there but I am not sure if it’s been done on my car before. Any tips would be appreciated. I suspected a wheel bearing but the noise is constant if I’m going around curves left or right.

·
Super Moderator
2,252 Posts
You could try a decent quality synthetic oil and see how it goes.

If that doesn't work.... I've found Redline Shockproof oils work well in noisy gearboxes to improve the shift quality and quieten them. They seem to be suitable for diffs, but you'd want to do your own research on their suitability for the Escape's RDU. Red Line Synthetic Oil. ShockProof® Gear Oil

·
Registered
786 Posts
Here is the TSB 15-0091 2013>2015 Escapes
It is the bushings not the RDU
I had the whine and my drive train warranty covered replacing the bushings
I have 94,000 miles on 2013 AWD Titanium no RDU noise

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is the TSB 15-0091 2013>2015 Escapes
It is the bushings not the RDU
I had the whine and my drive train warranty covered replacing the bushings
I have 94,000 miles on 2013 AWD Titanium no RDU noise
Unfortunately I’m outside of my powertrain warranty so it’ll be out of pocket. If I have to pull the frame I will just replace the RDU and bushings while I’m at it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could try a decent quality synthetic oil and see how it goes.

If that doesn't work.... I've found Redline Shockproof oils work well in noisy gearboxes to improve the shift quality and quieten them. They seem to be suitable for diffs, but you'd want to do your own research on their suitability for the Escape's RDU. Red Line Synthetic Oil. ShockProof Gear Oil
I thought about switching to Redline but thought I read somewhere where you shouldn’t mix fluids with the rear diff. I do like their fluids though, ran it before in my old Accord and it definitely helped smooth the shift quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I just got off the phone with my local dealership. 15-0091 was never completed on my car. Might try and replace the bushings then but considering purchasing a used RDU to throw in while I have the frame out. Don’t want to have to do this job twice if the bushings wouldn’t solve the problem.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Dude believe me it is the bushings not the RDU
they will have to drop the whole rear end to get to the rdu.
They have to drop the rear end to replace the bushings
the whine went away after having the bushings replaced at 46,000 miles and has never come back
I am now pushing 95,000 Miles
the RDU is not a problem,the PTU is a problem!

·
Super Moderator
5,885 Posts
In all the forums I have not heard of an RDU going bad
That is not true. I posted here that I had to get my RDU replaced. I’m sure I’m not the only one in all vehicles manufacturers out there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had the same whine in our 2015 SE AWD 1.6L.. at 30K.. Ford did the TSB.. and the problem was fixed.. Have put another 10K on the car since... no problems.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I recorded the noise and posted it on YouTube. Here’s the link. The noise starts at about 0:07
At the very beginning it almost sounds like a wheel bearing but I think it’s the drone of the car but :07 is where my ear picks it out.
Hope this might help

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, took it to my local ford dealer where I was looked at like I was crazy. Test drove with the technician and he couldn’t hear it. And when I pointed it out he said it was tire noise. So.... yay

·
Registered
32 Posts
Kinda sounds to me like the same problem I am having, which is bad Continental Tires.. Mine has flat spots on the tread. Rotated the tires from front to back and the noise went to the front.. Have an appointment to get new Michelin Tires (Defenders) next week. You might have two problems... bad bushings in RDU (TSB) and bad tires..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi This is my first time posting on this site, I have a 2014 titanium. I Have the same noise as Dagriff1997"s video. It sound like a wheel bearing coming from the right rear. noise started last fall after I put brakes and new tires on.It is slowly getting worse. I see where some are saying something about bushings. Not sure what bushings you are referring to. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I could see it being the tires if the noise was there constantly. But the brief second after taking my foot off the gas makes it harder to believe.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hi This is my first time posting on this site, I have a 2014 titanium. I Have the same noise as Dagriff1997"s video. It sound like a wheel bearing coming from the right rear. noise started last fall after I put brakes and new tires on.It is slowly getting worse. I see where some are saying something about bushings. Not sure what bushings you are referring to. Any help would be great.
If I’m not mistaken, there are four bushings which the rear differential mounts to. Two in the front and two in the rear. I believe it is the two front bushings that’s are mentioned in the TSB which cause the whine.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Regarding the rear differential unit fluid. I have a 1970 Mustang Mach1 with a Traction Lok. It has a 500+ hp small block. I called Red Line and asked them about using Shockproof. They said I could use it with friction modifier. He said the shockproof is design for high impact racing applications. He recommend I use their 75W 90 GL5 Synthetic instead because it has plenty of friction modifier in it already. The guy at red line was very informative and friendly. This may not be the problem but good info anyway.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Regarding the rear differential unit fluid. I have a 1970 Mustang Mach1 with a Traction Lok. It has a 500+ hp small block. I called Red Line and asked them about using Shockproof. They said I could use it with friction modifier. He said the shockproof is design for high impact racing applications. He recommend I use their 75W 90 GL5 Synthetic instead because it has plenty of friction modifier in it already. The guy at red line was very informative and friendly. This may not be the problem but good info anyway.
Good information. I went to redline's website and saw that they recommend the 75w-90 fluid for my escape. Also says it is a suitable replacement for 80w-90. Maybe I will give that a shot. I am just trying to find a 3/8's ratchet that will fit the fill plug. I don't really want to mod one, but it looks like I might have to.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts