2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

Whiny noise when moving in reverse but only when damp/wet

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  STRAUSJE 
#1 ·
I have a 2021 Escape Titanium hybrid. I also have a few noise issues. I have a little over 15,000 miles on the vehicle but the noise started at around 12,000. I live in Olympia WA. so in the winter it's like living underwater. When backing out of the garage in the morning there is an almost howling noise depending on the pressure on the brake pedal. Only in reverse and after driving for a while and using the brakes the howling noise is gone. I've had the vehicle into the local dealer twice. The first time they said they could not reproduce the noise and that was that. The second time I had the driver that was picking up the vehicle get inside and listen while I backed out of the garage and he could hear it. When I talked to the service manager I was told, "noise on cold mornings is a normal occurrence with moisture". Full disclosure, I'm not impressed with this service manager from past encounters. I decided to do some homework and found there is a recall coming up on the rear brake pads on certain 2021 and 2022 Escapes and some Broncos.

I also get this scraping nose, and if you are as old as I am we would call that noise "rivets are into the brake shoes or rotors. Both times nothing was ever said about scared rotors.

The recall is a bit long so I have left two links to the articles on the recall.

2021-2022 Ford Escape Recalled Over Braking System Safety Issue (fordauthority.com)

Ford Escape and Bronco Sport recalled over braking issue - Autoblog

Hope this helps others.

Steve Horn...

See less See more
#3 ·
The above are referring to a problem where FORD got caught releasing poor friction materials and the car would not stop within specified distance when power assist was lost.

For rear brake noise, start here - 22-2326 Ford Technical Service Bulletin

Reactions: Batman1980
#5 ·
Had the recall done last month on my wife's 21 SEL hybrid. The rotors were torn up & got a new set because they couldn't be turned. Didn't replace the pads. Took it home & was nosier than before. Took it back & they replaced the pads. completely fixed. I have an identical 22 SEL hybrid that doesn't make noise. Funny thing is the rear pads on the22 are a different part # than the 21. My guess is that the pads were the culprit all along.

#6 ·
The part number change is just a superseded number as it applies to 2020MY through 2022MY for the Escape/Corsair & Bronco. There was a pad recall, but it wasn't for noise, it was because the brake system stopping distance with a power brake system failure exceeded the federal maximum distance..
If your rotors were severely engraved I'm really surprised the dealer didn't want to change pads when they were replaced as it would increase your stopping distance until the high spots in the pads from the old rotors wore down to match the new ones.
My guess would be that the lube getting applied to the pins with the pad change killed the noise, I wouldn't be surprised it it came back after a few thousand miles if the pin bushings weren't replaced as well.

#8 ·
My 2021 Escape Hybrid SE makes a similar noise in reverse. My dealer claims there is no fix yet, but it seems he is not aware of the TSB. I am going to tell him about it but before I do I was wondering: does anyone know if this is covered under the warranty or will I have to pay for the fix? My Escape has 20,000 miles on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.