2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 ford escape FWD SE sport. I have had it since May 1st, and the remain fuel number goes up even though I have driven 144 miles to date with it.
It started out saying 403 miles to empty and since driving it for 5 days now says I have 414 miles until empty. What gives?

·
Registered
2020 Escape Titanium Hybrid
72 Posts
I have a 2020 titanium hybrid and it does the same thing, the reason for this is the gas mileage. If you’re being conservative in your driving the computer takes this into account. If your mileage increases, so does your range for example, if you are currently driving at 32mpg, the range to empty could be 302 miles (just a random number) then if you drive more conservatively and are driving at 44mpg, your range to empty will also increase to something such as 375 miles (another random number for example only).

Reactions: ctb

·
Registered
2020 Escape Hybrid Titanium
414 Posts
Miles to Empty (MTE) is updated based on recent driving, so a little hot-rodding will cause it to drop, while a high mileage trip may cause it to stop or even reverse, as you've seen. I've seen mine as high as 726 miles, when I filled up after a long, downhill trip. Conversely, I've seen MTE shrink when I think I have enough gas... double-edge sword.

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
887 Posts
As stated above, the MTE is dynamic and what many people don't know is that the fuel gauge is also until the tank gets down to around 3 gallons.
Ford started doing this with the 2013MY across multiple lines and its based on the overall MPG avg over the previous 3 MPG resets, one of the first TSBs on the 2013-2014 (pre Job2) Escapes was the fact that the low fuel light would turn on with the gauge showing 1/8 tank. When you went to fill the tank it would take no more than 7-8 gallons to fill it, so a firmware update for the cluster was released.

·
Registered
2020 Escape Hybrid Titanium
414 Posts
...its based on the overall MPG avg over the previous 3 MPG resets,...
My sense is that the 2020 uses a much shorter period, using recent data to make near real-time adjustments.

Yesterday I took a 40 mile trip. MTE was 80 miles at the start, and the tank was reading 49.8 MPG. After 40 miles on a historically poor mileage route, MTE was 15 miles. 25 miles had disappeared. I put 14.4 gal. in the 14.1 gal. tank, recorded a reported 49.2 MPG (display).

Clearly, YMMV.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My sense is that the 2020 uses a much shorter period, using recent data to make near real-time adjustments.

Yesterday I took a 40 mile trip. MTE was 80 miles at the start, and the tank was reading 49.8 MPG. After 40 miles on a historically poor mileage route, MTE was 15 miles. 25 miles had disappeared. I put 14.4 gal. in the 14.1 gal. tank, recorded a reported 49.2 MPG (display).

Clearly, YMMV.
I agree. Much shorter period to calculate than other cars. My 2008 Focus did this, but it took a long time for the numbers to adjust.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a 2020 ford escape FWD SE sport. I have had it since May 1st, and the remain fuel number goes up even though I have driven 144 miles to date with it.
It started out saying 403 miles to empty and since driving it for 5 days now says I have 414 miles until empty. What gives?
When I bought my SE Sport Hybrid (12/2010) the computer reported something like 428 miles until empty. Agter a week or two of driving, it was up to something like 478. I guess I was really hyper-mileing. I think it’s a cool feature.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts