2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, First time post, I am new as a member :) but I have visited before.
I would like to start by saying, I previously owned (actually Leased) a 2017 Ford Escape Titanium. The only options I didn't have were the Front sensing system and the Panoramic Sky roof.
My lease would have ended in Feb. 2020, so I was able to cash in on the Early bird special and and received forgiveness for my last 2 payments. (up to $1000). This bonus only applied to a 2019.

I was originally interested in the re-designed 2020 with the new HUD system, but after sitting in the car, I did not like most of the changes I noticed.
Here were the differences from the 2017 to the 2020 i noticed right away during my test drive and inspection of key features I loved in my 2017:

Ambient lighting: 2017 - 7 different colors available vs. 2020 only 1 color (Ice blue)

Steering Wheel: All the buttons were reversed going from 2017 to 2020 (The radio controls previously on the right side were now moved to the left)

The plastic wood dash on the 2020 also makes the interior look cheap, IMO.
I prefer the mirror black finish of the 2019.

Dash screen: MPH and Tach location switched going from 2017 to 2020
- and even with the newly designed dash, the customization did not allow you to change location of the gauges, it really only changed the graphics and background.

The Gear shift vs. the knob shift - I really like having my hand resting on the gear shift. The knob (I appreciate that you have more room) seemed out of the way and I didn't like it. its unfortunate that a lot of cars of going with a knob now.
I didn't like having to press a button on the 2020 console to change modes on the 2020.
Most often I find once I am comfortable with a mode I don't change it.
I like the gear shift for the "S" option on the fly better.
After driving the 2019, I do say the 2.0L engine has a bit more power than my 2017 1.6L did, so maybe I wouldn't have even needed to switch to "S".
I like that I still have an easy option without having to take my eyes off the road with the 2019.

The heads up display on the 2020 was horrible - a little plastic screen that flips on the dash the HUD is displayed on was as generic as it gets IMO.
I had a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP with a real HUD and I really missed it when it was time to let that car go....

Changing screens on the Demo I had with Sync 3 also took a long time to update. I didn't care for that either.

The Snyc 3 8" screen:
in my 2017 and 2019 the screen is built into the dash, it looks like it is part of the car and fully integrated.
The 2020 display screen looks like someone glued a 8" tv screen to the top of the dash. It doesn't appear integrated and looks like more of an after thought.

With the changes in the integrated dash screen to the screen poking out of the top, they had to move the radio controls, I preferred the older style over the new style as well.

So in conclusion, the 2017 and 2019 are for the most part identical. For me, it was more comfortable to stay with the '19 since it was still available.

For those curious, I received a total of $6,250 total with combined Incentives and Early bird turn in going from a 2017 to a 2019.
Yes price did play a huge role in my decision, but I was originally going to wait til early next year and turn in for a 2020.
The incentives would likely be higher on the 2020 in March compared to now, but I am glad I decided to start looking now because I would have been disappointed if I waited and had no choice other than a 2020.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Thank you for the comparison. It may help those that are on the fence between 2019 clearance vs 2020.

Some are things that one could get used to if they wanted to (knob vs actual gear selector) Others though, like the screen thing, may not have been a consideration but will now be looked at closer by a potential buyer. A recent Hyundai or KIA rental I was in recently had the same (Stuck on dash) huge screen thing in it. It is a complete turn-off to me since it takes away from the overall ergonomics of the interior and to me, is pretty distracting.

I have my own list of likes/dislikes for the 2020 but this isn't my thread.

So, to those looking to upgrade their Escape or buy a newer vehicle. Look now while you have the luxury of selecting which you prefer!

·
Super Moderator
540 Posts
I'm disappointed in the ambient lighting change... seems like a foolish downgrade to me. I like ambient lighting enough that I probably won't buy a car without it, and I'm not sure I'd consider a vehicle that has chosen a single unchangeable ambient color for me. They should expand the number of color options, if anything. My brother's Mercedes has something like 50 ambient color choices and I never saw his true HUD screen from the passenger side, though he described it to me. Next time I visit I'll have to sit in the drivers seat and check the HUD out for myself.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Others though, like the screen thing, may not have been a consideration but will now be looked at closer by a potential buyer. A recent Hyundai or KIA rental I was in recently had the same (Stuck on dash) huge screen thing in it. It is a complete turn-off to me since it takes away from the overall ergonomics of the interior and to me, is pretty distracting.
I'm in the same camp, too. The tablet style controls look too much like an afterthought but apparently that's the new trend, as I thought I saw it on a new Toyota or two. Also seems like something easily broken by "little fingers". On the flip side, hopefully, that means should the touchscreen fail, it should be an easier swap? (Not holding my breath)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm sorry, a knob is not meant to shift gears!!!!
Technically, the stick hasn't directly changed a gear in many years. Unless you're driving something from the previous decade, you've been changing electrical switches all along.

·
Super Moderator
1,718 Posts
How was the new 8 speed auto? That's probably one area where the new model will be way ahead.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Agreed...how was the transmission? That's the place where Ford has seemingly dropped the ball most lately...2010 Fusion/Escape, 2012 Focus/Fiesta... New Ford transmissions have always made me nervous (although new engines are ranking right up there thanks to the EcoBoost).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I realize that but I WANT A SHIFTER!!!! I'm old!!!!
Just being old doesn't imply you want a shifter. When I was a kid, a long time ago, my next door neighbor's dad had a, I think it was a 1960's Dodge, that had push buttons for the shifter. I remember they said they put saw dust in the tranny to make it shift better when they sold it! :devilish:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts