2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I say inside, I mean inside the glass. I mean you cant wipe off the "foggy" appearance from the outside or inside of the windshield. It literally is "in" the windshield glass. Once the car warms up and I can apply heat to the windshield the "foggy" effect clears up, though a faint visual trace effect is still there. Car windshields are layered, a thin layer of clear plastic sandwiched between two layers of glass. So it may be possible the windshield sealed edge is compromised somewhere? Perhaps some delamination has occurred. Has anyone else noticed this?

My vehicle is a 2018 Ford Escape SL with 45,000 miles on it, all driven by me or my wife. I can't see any obvious damage to the outside of the windshield, don't recall any debris that hit the windshield but did not cause a chip/crack. Is it possible a strike on the windshield was hard enough to cause it to start delaminating without showing a crack/chip? I have cleaned the windshield thoroughly both inside and outside, and it does not remove the foggy effect. Visibility driving into the sun early in the morning can be like trying to see through a frost covered windshield.

I called the Ford dealer, they said if its a product defect and if the vehicle has less than 36,000 it would be covered by the warranty. At 45,000 miles it is out of the warranty. I am waiting for feedback from State Farm to see if my insurance will cover a replacement windshield. I call Safelite and was quoted $899 to replace the windshield because it features the rain sensing and high beam sensing tech. Anyone else experience something similar?

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
It looks as though it is exactly as you suggest.....a windscreen fault allowing cold air inside to fog up the inner layer for some reason.
It's certainly a rare one so hopefully your insurance company will come to the party but I have doubts. They may just say that unless it is chipped badly, cracked or smashed there is no claim.
The only other thing I could suggest is to get a panel shop or windscreen replacement shop to check the seals all the way around the screen and also the edges of the screen itself for a possible minor gap that could cause the problem. The windscreen guy may have also heard of this problem.

·
Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
1,835 Posts
I've heard of this happening and only seen it once.
When I was out car shopping with my daughter years ago there was a brand new Malibu on the lot that she went to test drive and when the defroster couldn't clear the windshield. Sales guy couldn't explain it and got the service manager who explained it as a bad windshield that hadn't cured properly at the factory.

·
Registered
2014 Escape SE 2.0
117 Posts
Sounds like a product defect. Ford would have covered 3/36.

Sounds like double speak for yes we know it is a rare product defect that doesn't show up until after 36k so we're not covering it. Enough people will have to fight it to get extended warranty coverage.

Take your vehicle for a long drive on the highway. I hope you don't ride behind any trucks..... You could chip your windshield.

Reactions: RickO and ajef7885

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Take your vehicle for a long drive on the highway. I hope you don't ride behind any trucks..... You could chip your windshield.
That would be awful....even worse if a rock hit it and cracked it. 😱

Reactions: ajef7885

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Right because you need a crack or more than 6 severe chips in an area smaller than a dollar bill before insurance will cover replacement......

·
Registered
2014 Escape SE 2.0
117 Posts
That sounds like a wacky East Coast State type of insurance law....

Watch out for the flying retreads... Those can do much more than crack your windshield.....

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Not an insurance law, just the policy most glass shops follow before they'll consider submitting it as an insurance claim.
Crack makes it non-repairable as does too many severe chips inside of a single small area.
It's just like any other insurance claim, eg door got caved by a bumper so can it be popped and repaired, repaired with a skin or does it require an entire shell.

·
Registered
2014 Escape SE 2.0
117 Posts
Thank you for the clarification, sir.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm taking it to the local Safelite shop this Friday to have them inspect the windshield for any faults.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts