2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha all, happy to be back as an Escape Owner as my 2021 PHEV is on it's way over to Maui from the Big Island right now. Ordered in April, she'll be here next week. Living in a tropical location having the windows tinted is a MUST. I plan to get it done ASAP but wondering if anyone has had any experience with tinting the whole windshield in an Escape? Or in any car if not just the Escape? I have driving both a Jeep and a Model 3 on Lana'i with tinted windshields and they had blurry imperfections that made me HATE it, is that normal or just a bad tint job?

Mahalo for any experience you all might have!

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm just going to drop this here and you can take it however you want: check your local laws for tint regulations. Most States do not allow tint to be use on a windshield beyond the upper 4 inches.

As for more specific to your question, it depend on the quality of the tint used and the installation, but no matter what, your putting something on a clear glass so you can expect some loss of vision.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Likely a low quality film. Never had blurry issue with my side tints

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm just going to drop this here and you can take it however you want: check your local laws for tint regulations. Most States do not allow tint to be use on a windshield beyond the upper 4 inches.

As for more specific to your question, it depend on the quality of the tint used and the installation, but no matter what, your putting something on a clear glass so you can expect some loss of vision.
Oh I know, Hawaii allows it actually just has to allow 70% or more through. Mahalo though, they're stupid here and require yearly "safety" checks to stay legal. The place I go has a meter to measure light to verify legality.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Off-Topic: I wast tempted to do it here in Korea. There are many shops specializing in application of high-quality tint films.
Then I realized I would hate it at night. And I would have to remove it upon re-entry into US.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Off-Topic: I wast tempted to do it here in Korea. There are many shops specializing in application of high-quality tint films.
Then I realized I would hate it at night. And I would have to remove it upon re-entry into US.
My biggest worry is that you can't wear polarized sunglasses....which most all of mine are :-( But man it really cut down on the heat on that rental...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
... with the digital dash.

LCDs are polarized, and the direction of polarization we typically wear turns them black unless you tilt your head.
Really? I mean I can see my SYNC screen and the display between the Tack/Speedometer just fine in them in my current car. And can see all the screens and digital gauges in my wife's 21 JCW just fine as well. Even her HUD. I think they only go blank if you turn your head 90 degrees.

·
Registered
2020 Escape AWD Hybrid Titanium
638 Posts
... I think they only go blank if you turn your head 90 degrees.
I use windshields to determine polarization, because the reflection is always polarized. I want my sunglasses to allow me to see through the reflection to the occupants. When I can see the occupants, the dashboard is black.

(I have polarized sunglasses in both orientations, so I've tried both ways. Yellow driving glasses work the best, because the polarization only changes the color pallet, without obscuring data.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts