2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I currently have the 2013 Ford Escape Titanium and currently have the 19 inch wheels, I'm thinking of getting the following size for winters 225/65/16

What does everyone think about that size? I will also be getting hubcentric steelies.

These are the tires that I'm getting and if you guys can give me some opinions that would be great.

Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 package
Goodyear Ultra Grip Winter
Yokohama Ice Guard IG52C package

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
I'm not a tire expert but I do know some things.

As long as the overall diameter of the 225/65/16 tire matches that of the original tire size of your 19" rim you will be fine.

The second problem is will the 16" steelies clear your brake calipers?

I'd go for the Blizzaks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The Continental tires on my Titanium were rated quite well for winter and with all wheel drive, I am not going with any winter tires this winter. Of course you might be in the Great White North and get more snow than we do in Ohio. The Blizzaks had the best reviews on other sites.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I rather not chance it but yes I do live in Toronto and sometimes it can get a little messy.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
in NY a great All Season will handle it just fine, you can put on Snow tires during the winter here, but you will have the increased road noise, decrease dry traction, decreased response and perhaps a bit softer tire (less tread life), IMHO, at least in this state who does get their share of snow fall and is nothing like Michigan, Wisconsin, etc or Canada, best to save cash.

·
Registered
499 Posts
in NY a great All Season will handle it just fine, you can put on Snow tires during the winter here, but you will have the increased road noise, decrease dry traction, decreased response and perhaps a bit softer tire (less tread life), IMHO, at least in this state who does get their share of snow fall and is nothing like Michigan, Wisconsin, etc or Canada, best to save cash.
That must be New York City, but outside of the city I know you will need winter tires if you want to be much safe. Usually in any big city like NYC all seasons will get you by

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
I think Canadians should get winter tires.

They get alot of snow. I was in Alberta for a few months in the winter months. Holy crap I learnt what snow is and what alot of it will do to roads and drivers. It was a mess.

At the time I was driving a rental ford truck. THat thing had to be pulled out of snow ditches at least once a day.

·
Registered
109 Posts
In Quebec here, it actually required by law too have snow tires
from December 15 th to March 15 th.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Would changing the wheels affect the AWD? I know when you put on a spare it does but I'm not sure if you changed all 4 wheels if it would disable I know in some European cars messing with wheel and tire size will screw up the AWD system

·
Registered
18 Posts
More on winter tires

On this thread people have asked:
1. Are 16" tires OK on Titanium Escapes with19" tires?
2. Will 16" wheels clear the disc brake components?
3. Are hubcentric steel 16" wheels OK?
4. Do you really need snow tires?
5. Are 16" tires OK with AWD Escapes?

My comments are based on 25 years of using snow tires on various vehicles and on the current TireRack.com data relative to our Escapes. I've just purchased 16" alloy wheels and Michelin X-ice snow tires for my 19" wheeled Titanium Escape. I'm trying the new Michelins after many sets of great success with Bridgestone Blizzaks on different vehicles.

1. 16" snow tires will work better than wide, OEM sized 19" snow tires, assuming that 225/65R16 sized tires are used.

2. 16" wheels sold by companies like TireRack.com for Titanium Escapes will properly fit and clear the brake components.

3. 16" hubcentric steel wheels are fine. Just make sure that you buy them from a knowledgable supplier like TireRack.com.

4. Only you know the risk of your needing to drive in the snow. IMO and in my experience if you have to do ANY driving in the snow... GET SNOW TIRES, particularly if you have the OEM, wide, high performance, 19" Titanium tires.

5. 16" tires are OK with AWD and with FWD, just be sure that you use 225/65R16 tires and not a tire that has a different diameter than your OEM tires.

Extreme snow tires will provide a huge traction safety margin relative to OEM tires on any vehicle. Our wide, high performance 19", all season tires on Titaniums are the worst for snow! IMO, all season tires are only usable all season where there is no snow and ice!

Just one collision because you lost traction in the snow can cost you many times more in repairs, injury, misery and resale value!

And no I do not work for Tire Rack! I and my business own and safely use many different vehicles in snow and icy driving conditions.

The down side of using non OEM, 16" snow tires: You have to purchase wheels with snow tires and store an extra set of wheels and tires all year. Also, unless you ignore a red TPMS dash light, you will have to purchase and sync 4 TPMS units with your wheels.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On this thread people have asked:
1. Are 16" tires OK on Titanium Escapes with19" tires?
2. Will 16" wheels clear the disc brake components?
3. Are hubcentric steel 16" wheels OK?
4. Do you really need snow tires?
5. Are 16" tires OK with AWD Escapes?

My comments are based on 25 years of using snow tires on various vehicles and on the current TireRack.com data relative to our Escapes. I've just purchased 16" alloy wheels and Michelin X-ice snow tires for my 19" wheeled Titanium Escape. I'm trying the new Michelins after many sets of great success with Bridgestone Blizzaks on different vehicles.

1. 16" snow tires will work better than wide, OEM sized 19" snow tires, assuming that 225/65R16 sized tires are used.

2. 16" wheels sold by companies like TireRack.com for Titanium Escapes will properly fit and clear the brake components.

3. 16" hubcentric steel wheels are fine. Just make sure that you buy them from a knowledgable supplier like TireRack.com.

4. Only you know the risk of your needing to drive in the snow. IMO and in my experience if you have to do ANY driving in the snow... GET SNOW TIRES, particularly if you have the OEM, wide, high performance, 19" Titanium tires.

5. 16" tires are OK with AWD and with FWD, just be sure that you use 225/65R16 tires and not a tire that has a different diameter than your OEM tires.

Extreme snow tires will provide a huge traction safety margin relative to OEM tires on any vehicle. Our wide, high performance 19", all season tires on Titaniums are the worst for snow! IMO, all season tires are only usable all season where there is no snow and ice!

Just one collision because you lost traction in the snow can cost you many times more in repairs, injury, misery and resale value!

And no I do not work for Tire Rack! I and my business own and safely use many different vehicles in snow and icy driving conditions.

The down side of using non OEM, 16" snow tires: You have to purchase wheels with snow tires and store an extra set of wheels and tires all year. Also, unless you ignore a red TPMS dash light, you will have to purchase and sync 4 TPMS units with your wheels.
Thanks for the great post!

I decided on Michelin X-Ice 3 and 16 inch hubcentric rims. I have also ordered the TPMS for them also.

I was wondering, we just need to get 4x TPMS right and the remote to reset it, is there anything else I would need to get?

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2019 Escape Titanium has P235R45x19 tire setup. Would like less wheel & more sidewall for improved ride and pothole survivability, as well appearance preference. Tire & wheel seller sites offer choices of 17" to 19" for SEL trim, but only list 19" for Titanium. Are calipers or something else different on the Titanium that would prevent replacing wheels with 18" or 17"s? OEM Continental tires have tread design that do poorly on snow in our MI Upper Peninsula winters. Most choices in the 19" size don't hold much hope for improvement. Better choices if changed to 18 or 17". ( Eg. Firestone WeatherGrip)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Two things.

The answer to your brake question is found in the order guide for 2019. Look for an "order guide" thread with all the resources. I'd wager you're fine, but...

Living in the UP, you need snow tires as much as we do. The last couple years have seen introduction of mainstream tires that last for years, but carry the 3-peak mountain snowflake (3PMS) designation for use on roads requiring chains. I've put Michelin CrossClimate+ on every car in the family, save my own which has snow tires. There are a couple more offerings (Vredestein, Pirelli), but testing shows the Michelin is a great dry and wet tire as well. I find them as good as dedicated snow tires on snow, but must concede that ice shows the tradeoff.

Have fun,
Frank

·
Super Moderator
5,770 Posts
My 2019 Escape Titanium has P235R45x19 tire setup. Would like less wheel & more sidewall for improved ride and pothole survivability, as well appearance preference. Tire & wheel seller sites offer choices of 17" to 19" for SEL trim, but only list 19" for Titanium. Are calipers or something else different on the Titanium that would prevent replacing wheels with 18" or 17"s? OEM Continental tires have tread design that do poorly on snow in our MI Upper Peninsula winters. Most choices in the 19" size don't hold much hope for improvement. Better choices if changed to 18 or 17". ( Eg. Firestone WeatherGrip)
I merged your thread with this existing thread. Lots of good information that will help you in this thread. Also, if you search the forum you will see the multiple other threads on this topic.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I put 215/60/17 on my 2017 Titanium and they work fine. I went to a 215, thinking they may "float" less in the snow, and they have an added advantage of being cheaper.They are just a hair over 27" in diameter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just put Falken Wildpeak A/T Trails on factory 17" rims on my 2016 Titanium yesterday (ditching the 19" factory rims). I am sure we will have more snow here in Colorado to test them with, but they lean towards the all terrain side versus all season, IMHO (myself coming from truck tires like BFG A/T or M/T on previous vehicles). I went with factory 235/55/17.

On previous vehicles I have run various sizes from 235/75 (on 91 Ranger, '07 Pilot) to 31x10.50 on my '85 F150 to 33x12.50 on my '75 Bronco. In my experience driving in snow/ice/slush, the tread and how you drive has always been more important than the tire width. For myself, I am still wondering if I will need to add weight to the lightweight Escape now that I have good tires on it.

·
Registered
904 Posts
How are the Falkens?

My Escape came with 19s, and I bought 18s off a member on here. I need new tires for the 18s, and was thinking of getting one of two Continental tire options. I see that Tirerack has the Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail in 235/50-18.

How do you like them? I never had an A/T tire before. I have dedicated winter wheels and tires.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you have winter wheels, why would you give up hydrophilic rubber? No point in putting summer tires on both sets of wheels unless you live in the South.
Stay well,
Frank

1 - 20 of 20 Posts