2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not found much 4G discussion on winter tires and rims. I did some online shopping in Canada and did not find any great deals. I want to go with after market alloy wheels as I do not want to deal with seasonal tire changes and I am tired of scraping and painting steel rims.
To date I have purchased 17" CRW rims from Canadian Tire and am waiting for a good winter tire sale.
Rims:
I may need lug nuts and will likely buy TPMS.

I am considering Michelin XIce winter or Motomaster Edge winters.

Any issues with the rims I have selected and any thoughts on tires?

·
Registered
2020 Escape AWD Hybrid Titanium
593 Posts
My first thought is that you don't need winter tires anymore... not what you asked, but still my first thought.

Next I wonder how you drive and it what conditions, and that determines what kind of winter tire would serve you best. Tire Rack is a good source for tire test data, but they do small tests and don't have anything recent on snow. I found a UK site that seems to do very thorough and controlled tests. I'll first link you to a test that asks: what kind of winter tire is best for your needs?

It comes down to how far North you live. Nothing beats studded tires on snow and ice, but only on ice and snow. Wet and dry performance is horrendous. Lesser snow tires are far better in wet and dry, if you can trade off a little snow and ice performance. For the "winter" category, he has a very recent test includes snow testing, but tested neither tire you mention, although they clearly belong in the "winter" category, not "Nordic."

Since you mention price, you should know that with tires, you get what you pay for. Cheap tires come at a price. Your current choices are between Michelin and Cooper (maker of Canadian Tire's Motomaster).

My last snow tire purchase was Michelin X-Ice 3, but I would look for something newer to capture rubber compounding advances since. Then try to contain your enthusiasm and stay on the road!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the detailed reply. I am in Atlantic Canada and we can get some big storms. Our city is built on a large hill and it is obvious who is not running with winter tires. Add to that country living means poorer road conditions. Winter tires also reduce the likelihood of accident damage on the Escape. So yes, winters are required.

Tirerack has some ratings, but buying such large items in the USA and shipping to Canada is not economical. My preference is to support local businesses where possible. I ran the Motomaster Winter Edge for three years on my old Escape and I'd buy them again, but the highly rated Michelin X Ice Winters are about the same price so I'll wait to see which one goes on sale. I am going with 225/65R17 for winters even though my Escape came with 18". Larger profile sidewalls are more forgiving when the roads have potholes.

The rims are an unknown, but they received great reviews by those running them with winter tires so we'll hope they work well. The offset is not perfect, but close. Anyone who has bought alloy rims for winters please chime in with brand and satisfaction.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,396 Posts
Tirerack has some ratings, but buying such large items in the USA and shipping to Canada is not economical.
I think @fbov was only suggesting you use Tirerack's tests and reviews to help make a decision. I do that myself. The other site that was recommended www.tyrereviews.com is a UK based site but also does excellent reviews and provides any relevant magazine tyre test results when researching a tyre model. Their Youtube channel would be worth a look too.

Reactions: fbov and PEJ5

·
Registered
2021 Carbonized Grey SEL, Stealth Pack, Tech Pack, B&O, Pano Roof
24 Posts
I am a firm winter tire believer and have always had good luck with Gislaved or Hakkapelitta. Go studded if you don't mind the clicking. I am just about to start looking up for a new set myself. Cheers

·
Registered
2020 Escape AWD Hybrid Titanium
593 Posts
I am in Atlantic Canada and we can get some big storms. Our city is built on a large hill and it is obvious who is not running with winter tires. Add to that country living means poorer road conditions. Winter tires also reduce the likelihood of accident damage on the Escape. So yes, winters are required.
I am going with 225/65R17 for winters even though my Escape came with 18".
Some forums include your location with the name, but Atlantic Canada is all I need. I've long ben thankful for living far enough inland to avoid Nor-easters. Not a bad idea to go taller for winter tires; I downsized my wheels like you did, but sadly, 215/60-16 is not big enough, 94H vs 99-102 load rating.

While I'd expect more from a Michelin than a Cooper tire, I've used both manufacturer's snow tires with good results. Enjoy the snow when it flies!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Winter Tires and Wheels, I am a firm believer in great winter treads. We ordered up 225/65/17 with lightweight wheels the Tires are the Michelin X-ICE-2. It is going to be interesting to see they handle lots of snow and ice here in Stanley Idaho. The 2021 PHEV Titanium is our first FWD only in forever. Its going to be a new challenge for us.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts