2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon. I was searching through some of the posts regarding wiper going off on their own. Does anyone have a part number for the little white square module attached to the cable? My negative battery terminal was severely corroded and well as that little control module. Should I replace it when replacing the battery? I had taken out the battery and cleaned everything but it is continuing to act up.

How would I know if it is even the battery. The car is cranking with no issues at all. There is no drag or delay.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The BMS module is a permanent part of the battery cable.
What kind of shape is the BMS pigtail in? If it's corroded it will also cause issues.

The BMS module is a permanent part of the battery cable.
What kind of shape is the BMS pigtail in? If it's corroded it will also cause issues.

That is exactly it. So I should replace both? I also noticed on youtube that I should reset the BMS by pressing the light stalk 5 times and brake pedal 3 and then wait for the battery light to blink three times.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
The first thing I would do is get the battery tested. If it is on it's way out have it replaced together with a new BMS module and cable and then have the BMS reset properly by Forscan or the battery supplier if possible. The video method you mention may or may not work for the reset and has been discussed here at length as some claim it works and others say it does nothing.
I am unware of your model but there are two video methods and neither worked in my case when I replaced the battery.
In any case I would replace the BMS module and cable whether you replace the battery or not.
Please keep us informed.

Reactions: Jammer717

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The first thing I would do is get the battery tested. If it is on it's way out have it replaced and the BMS reset properly by Forscan or the battery supplier if possible. The video method you mention may or may not work for the reset and has been discussed here at length as some claim it works and others say it does nothing. I am unware of your model but it did not do anything in my case when I replaced the battery.
In any case I would replace the BMS module and cable whether you replace the battery or not.
Please keep us informed.
Thanks for the information. Will get the battery tested. Another question. The battery is a 96R-3 and I noticed batteries that are 96R. What is the difference.
Will keep you updated

·
Registered
2,634 Posts

·
Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
2,608 Posts
WPT-1396
DU2Z-14S411-AZA
They've have been superseded with a new number.

Pay attention to the wire positions when you change it out, the replacement pigtail wires aren't color coded.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WPT-1396
DU2Z-14S411-AZA
They've have been superseded with a new number.

Pay attention to the wire positions when you change it out, the replacement pigtail wires aren't color coded.
So what’s the impact of driving the car with a bad pigtail. My son is going off to college tomorrow and unfortunately the part I ordered off Amazon which is the one that you sent won’t get here until Friday is there an immediate impact of driving the car. My thoughts were I would put it on next week.

·
Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
2,608 Posts
The pigtail provides power to the LIN databus.
Since very little on the car is direct wired and most is logic driven you can expect weird issues with wipers, cluster, power windows, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the help. I will update the thread when I get the part and install. For now he has a new battery and will install the BSM cable and pig tail when I get it. I really appreciate all of the help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I got everything installed. New pig tail, BSM cable and battery. As you can see the pigtail was severely corroded as well as the BSM. Had the get the pig tail from the Ford dealer $40. It was cheaper on amazon but we were in a time crunch. I used the online method to reset the BSM and it worked. I think secret behind that was flashers 5 times, brake pedal 3 times and then keep pedal pressed. I did have a couple of DTCs related to the wiper motor that I cleared. I also found out after doing the BSM reset that my Carsoft ODBC reader as able to reset the BSM. We did have to cycle the wind shield wipers to reset the proper adjustment. Will let you know if I encounter any linger issues. thx for all the help from the forum responders.
Hand Plant Body jewelry Gesture Finger

·
Registered
35 Posts
The pigtail provides power to the LIN databus.
Since very little on the car is direct wired and most is logic driven you can expect weird issues with wipers, cluster, power windows, etc.
No doubt; weird. I’ve replaced everything mentioned. Tried several times the manual BMS reset unsuccessfully. Everything on the car seems to work properly EXCEPT the front wipers which won’t work at all. The washer fluid does, just not the wires.

our 2016 Escape SE had the battery corrosion failure so in July I replaced the battery, cleaned the ground cable. But we’d have the random wiper actuation. BMS was too damaged so recently caused intermittent no-starts. 20Sept I replaced the BMS ground cable and it’s corroded 2-wire pigtail. Now the wipers won’t work, even after disconnecting battery 8 hours (a suggestion elsewhere herein).

fuses are good, connectors to wiper motors good too. Do I need to go to the dealer and get the BMS new battery reset?

PS - The manual 5-bright, 3-brake BMS reset doesn’t blink the battery indicator.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
No doubt; weird. I’ve replaced everything mentioned. Tried several times the manual BMS reset unsuccessfully. Everything on the car seems to work properly EXCEPT the front wipers which won’t work at all. The washer fluid does, just not the wires.

our 2016 Escape SE had the battery corrosion failure so in July I replaced the battery, cleaned the ground cable. But we’d have the random wiper actuation. BMS was too damaged so recently caused intermittent no-starts. 20Sept I replaced the BMS ground cable and it’s corroded 2-wire pigtail. Now the wipers won’t work, even after disconnecting battery 8 hours (a suggestion elsewhere herein).

fuses are good, connectors to wiper motors good too. Do I need to go to the dealer and get the BMS new battery reset?

PS - The manual 5-bright, 3-brake BMS reset doesn’t blink the battery indicator.
Yes, as mentioned earlier the BMS needs to be reset properly by ForScan or a dealer rather than the hit and miss video method you describe.
You can then test all the technology including the wipers for functionality.
If the wipers still do not work they may need to be recallibrated but we can cross that hurdle later.
Let us know how you go. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes, as mentioned earlier the BMS needs to be reset properly by ForScan or a dealer rather than the hit and miss video method you describe.
You can then test all the technology including the wipers for functionality.
If the wipers still do not work they may need to be recallibrated but we can cross that hurdle later.
Let us know how you go. :)
I re-disconnected the positive battery cable. I read also where that doing the negative last can be problematic. No wiper Sweeps. I have the blades off so the motors can run unrestricted. I’ll calibrate later. Also checked all wiper motor connectors.

Since I only just ordered the interface cable and down loaded FORscan, I had a local Brakes Plus do the BMS reset ($105 and charged for fluids & disposal - but thats another topic). But alas, wipers still not working. Mind you all other functions in the car, specifically those from the stalk such as washer fluid and rear wiper, work.

Unless someone suggests otherwise here, my only recourses are:
1) re-wire the 2-wire BMS connector. I swear I made sure it was wired as the one it replaced but hey, if thats it I don’t want Ford charging me for this.
2) take it to a Ford dealer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I re-disconnected the positive battery cable. I read also where that doing the negative last can be problematic. No wiper Sweeps. I have the blades off so the motors can run unrestricted. I’ll calibrate later. Also checked all wiper motor connectors.

Since I only just ordered the interface cable and down loaded FORscan, I had a local Brakes Plus do the BMS reset ($105 and charged for fluids & disposal - but thats another topic). But alas, wipers still not working. Mind you all other functions in the car, specifically those from the stalk such as washer fluid and rear wiper, work.

Unless someone suggests otherwise here, my only recourses are:
1) re-wire the 2-wire BMS connector. I swear I made sure it was wired as the one it replaced but hey, if thats it I don’t want Ford charging me for this.
2) take it to a Ford dealer.
oddly, before reassembling after a successful MBS 2-pin polarity check, I ran the car with the BMS connector off. Then I tried the wipers and they worked!

of course as these things go, reconnecting the BMS and they don’t function.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Perhaps you need to take it to Ford or a qualified battery technician as I seem to recall posts here saying that there were issues with rewiring the new BMS connecter in the same way as the old one.
Perhaps you should not try swapping the wires though before getting advice in case more damage is done.

Reactions: Jammer717
1 - 20 of 22 Posts