2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently noticed the wiper move up and done slightly, like an inch or two when they are off and I first start driving the it. It's not a wind issue, it's almost like they are searching for their home spot. I replaced the battery about a year ago and had issues getting them set, but only recently noticed this issue. Haven't been driving the car much in the past year or so as it's my daughter's and she been out of the country a lot. Try to sell it now so I'd like to get this straightened out so i doesn't scare off potential buyers! Anyone seen this and know how to fix? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Escape Titanium 2.0l Ecoboost
858 Posts
You don't share your year/model so I can't speak to that, but on mine after the wipers have been in use, once they're not in use anymore they'll move into their "home" position which is lower than when they're in use. It might just be that... or not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry 2013 escape se 1.6L ecoboost 2wd 87Kmiles.

This happens like right after getting into car, starting it and driving off, then in the first few minutes of driving I'll see the previously stationary wipers start moving up and down a couple inches, then they stop. then they will do it again. and then maybe a 3rd time and after that they seem to by happy and stay still.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Do you have rain sensing wipers on your model?
If so, are the wipers turned completely off or on the first setting?
After the battery change did you eventually get them sweeping in the correct fashion and parking like before?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No rain sensor. Wipers completely off. I haven't driven it much since replacing the battery. It mostly sat in the yard and I'd drive it about once a week. My son drove it some earlier in this year as his car was having issues and he said he noticed them doing it then. They seem to move properly although I'd prefer the drivers side(US drivers side!) went a bit closer to the a pillar. And I've seen a few post/youtibe videos about trying to get that adjusted. But I'm not going to worry about that since I'm selling it. Just like to get them to quit wiggling.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Did you reset the BMS when-you changed your battery? Have you tried resetting the wipers?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Did not reset BMS. Can you point me to good explanation? Is the one in pic of YouTube video below real?And as far as resetting wipers they seem to move properly and in sync to each other. I'll try and get a short video of what they are doing tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,065 Posts
Did not reset BMS. Can you point me to good explanation? Is the one in pic of YouTube video below real?And as far as resetting wipers they seem to move properly and in sync to each other. I'll try and get a short video of what they are doing tomorrow.
View attachment 77489
Do a search on the forum for “resetting BMS”. There are some good threads that discuss this

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And you think this BMS would be affecting the wipers? A couple things that are minor issues but maybe more related to BMS are the radio staying on when you turn car off and pull out key and the AC and recirc. In my mind the radio should stay on when you turn car off and pull out key, but turn off when you open drivers door. But it usually does one of 4 things. Turns off when you open door, or stays on till you close the door, or stay on even after you close door but turns off when you lock, or stays on even after locking for a varying length of time. The AC/Recirc seem to also have a mind of their own too. I usually exit car with ac on and recirc off. But when I get back there are a variety of ways it will be running. AC and recirc on, just ac on, no ac or recirc on. If I get in and ac and recirc are on I usually turn it to max ac, then back a notch so that recirc turns off. And the recirc can be on even though temp isn't right next to the max setting. I I pretty much never use the recirc button. Although when I first saw this happening I'd hit recirc, usually have to do it twice, to get it to turn off.

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
View attachment 77489
Short answer is likely no. AFAIK, the only way to reset the BMS on NA cars is via dealer or Forscan if you are inclined to go that route. As Vader said, do a search. The BMS reset is a significant matter of importance which has not adequetly been communicated to the owner via Ford. Lots of misunderstanding.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
No rain sensor. Wipers completely off. I haven't driven it much since replacing the battery. It mostly sat in the yard and I'd drive it about once a week. My son drove it some earlier in this year as his car was having issues and he said he noticed them doing it then. They seem to move properly although I'd prefer the drivers side(US drivers side!) went a bit closer to the a pillar. And I've seen a few post/youtibe videos about trying to get that adjusted. But I'm not going to worry about that since I'm selling it. Just like to get them to quit wiggling.
I think you just may have given the answer to the problem when you said you would prefer the driver's side wiper to sweep a bit closer to the A pillar.
Unless the wipers themselves are near perfectly aligned on the shafts after a battery change they can do all sorts of strange things including the 'wiggle' you describe.
My wipers have never been off since the car was new but even so sometimes they wobble a bit when first starting the car even when they are turned off. I just put this down to the wiper motors recognizing that the ignition is now on... :rolleyes:.
I think that it would be worthwhile go through the procedure of getting them correctly aligned if you want to correct the problem as it may be detrimental to the sale of the car anyway. ;).
You mention you have seen you tube videos about how to do this but it is a straightforward procedure. If you need help let us know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yeah you are correct. Just took a closer look after putting the wipers up on the windshield before starting. Started and they went back to home position and both are off. Driver's side is a couple inches low and passenger is about an inch low. I'll have to straighten that out. Tried restarting to get a video after they went to home and they didn't wiggle! And I started with the door open and neither the recirc nor the AC were on, Oh the joys of modern electronics that have some age on them!

Just went out and tried the you tube suggested and didn't get the battery flash after waiting a good while so as suspected I believe that is BS. Wipers didn't still didn't wiggle though and the AC and recirc were off!

I'll probably leave it as is, give it a few days and several starts and see if things change. My biggest concern from a selling stand point was the wiper wiggle. If that quits I'll probably leave everything as is let the luck next owner deal with it.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
@No S Cape.....Yep....rather than the BMS the problem is more to do with the wipers sitting too low when parked as you suggest and that is probably why they wiggle occasionally.
In simple terms the computer is trying to tell you the wipers are out of whack...:p.

Your wiper wiggle problem will probably return and should be fixed by removing the wiper arms and re-positioning them correctly on the shafts as per post #3 on the link below.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,616 Posts
Driver's side is a couple inches low and passenger is about an inch low. I'll have to straighten that out.
You should get the resting/ off position set up properly first (via removing the wiper arms and repositioning them on the motor spindles) and then the full sweep arc is actually programmed into the BCM. Searching should give you further info on doing that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Never got around to adjusting them before I sold it to a dealer. They claimed it meant the motors needed replacing, but they had it listed on their web sight right after I signed it over to them so I'm guessing they just adjusted them, but I'm tempted to stop by and see if they even did that!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts